Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 CMSA Convention

Default 2009 CMSA Convention

I'm pleased to announce that the Classical Mandolin Society of America will be holding its 2009 Annual Convention in Dayton Ohio. The convention will run from Wednesday, October 28 - Sunday, November 1.

Marilynn Mair will be performing and teaching at the convention. In addition to performing 2 concerts and leading workshops, Marilynn will be leading the Mandolin Teacher's Workshop on Tuesday night, October 27 and Wednesday morning, October 28.

In addition, Don Stiernberg and his Trio will be performing and teaching at the convention. Little known fact - Dayton Ohio is a "hot spot" for jazz.

Stay tuned to the CMSA website (www.ClassicalMandolinSociety.org) and the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra website (www.DaytonMandolin.net) for additional details.
    Lou Chouinard

Default Re: 2009 CMSA Convention

More breaking news -

Don Stiernberg has confirmed that he will be accompanied by Larry Harris on piano and Jim Cox on bass. This is the same trio that played at the recent Mando Magnificat.

These guys will really raise the hairs on the back of your neck!
    Lou Chouinard

More great news -

I am pleased to announce that the En Masse Orchestra will be conducted by Dr. Jim Bates. Jim will also be leading workshops at the convention.

To those of us in the CMSA world, Jim needs no introduction. Jim is an outstanding conductor who has led numerous music groups. He has conducted the CMSA En Masse orchestra multiple times and was the conductor and musical director of the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra. Dr. Bates is currently the Director of Orchestral Activities / Assistant Professor at Otterbein College in Westerville Ohio.

Jim's conducting and teaching took my personal orchestral performance to a new level. It is always an honor and a pleasure to perform under his baton.
    Lou Chouinard

More good news indeed! Lou, this is shaping up to be a great convention. Keep filling us in as things develop.

John G.

More great news -

Bob Martel has agreed to attend, perform, and teach at the CMSA Convention. He will accompany Marilynn Mair for both her classical and choro concerts, he will teach 1 or 2 workshops, and, hopefully, the En Masse Orchestra will perform one of his compositions.

Bob played guitar (all genres) for over 10 years, became a tuba player for about 20, and then returned to his classical guitar roots. He has performed and soloed with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, the AMGuSS orchestra, and the CMSA En Masse Orchestra. Bob is a noted composer for mandolin orchestras. His music has been performed and recorded by many groups in the U.S. and internationally.

Stay tuned for another major announcement later this week
    Lou Chouinard

I'm looking forward to at least occasional attendance.

I've been waiting for a week to receive more background information but I can't wait any longer

I received an e-mail from Annika Luckebergfeld and Fabian Hinsche accepting our offer to attend the convention.

They will play two classical concerts, lead workshops, and will both play in the En Masse Orchestra. Annika and Fabian will also lead the sectional rehearsals for the First Mandolins and Guitars respectively.

I have two of Annika's CDs and they are awesome.

With this, we were able to “land” 100% of the Dayton Host Committee’s “wish list” performers.

This is shaping up to be a great convention!
    Lou Chouinard

Please visit the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra web site for more information about Marilynn Mair, Bob Martel, and Don Stiernberg: http://daytonmandolin.net/Announcements.html. We update frequently.

We look forward to seeing you in Dayton! We'll be "Playing the Wright Stuff", as Orville Wright, our illustrious local son, played a Washburn bowl back which he took to Kitty Hawk. It is now on display in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. If you are interested in more information about Orville and that mandolin, visit http://www.nasm.si.edu/wrightbrothers/index_full.cfm and follow the Orville links.

Kathryn Hitchcock
    Last edited by kathrynrene; May-13-2009 at 5:13pm. Reason: Just wanted to get that great Wright Bros. site in!

Daytonians!
    The LMO (Louisville Mandolin Orchestra) stands ready to help make your convention efforts a success. We hope to have a healthy contingent up there this fall, and invite your requests for whatever it takes to bring off another successful CMSA convention in the Ohio valley.

Annika's playing is well known to many of you, but for those who don't know her, she's a student of Caterina and a recent winner of the Kuwahara Competition. She also has her own school in Dusseldorf and leads the JugendZupfOrchester of Northrhine-Westfalia. She's also one of my personal favorite mandolinists, a true virtuoso of the highest calibre and a musician of impeccable taste. I met her when she was at Berklee for a year, studying American mandolin styles with John McGann. She and Fabian (a world class virtuoso in his own right) even came to New York last year to do a recital with me and Bridget.

So, try to imagine a cross between Caterina and John, and there's Annika. Wish I had time to make it to Dayton for this convention, I'm sure her presentation will be spectacular!

Louisvillians!

Better be careful! We just might find something for you to do! Thanks, really, for the offer. The DMO host committee meets next week and I'll share your greetings with them. We look forward to meeting you!

Kathryn

Greetings Lou and Dayton CMSA Planning Committee!
    Congrats on lining up a Great 2009 CMSA Convention.
    The Atlanta Mandolins will have a good contingent at this years convention.
    Hope you have a slot at one of the showcases for us!
    We are looking forward to a Great time!!!!!
    OK Montana and Denver, Milwaukee, Seattle and Minneapolis how about you guys? Lets make this one of the best!
    See you in Dayton
    Bob Knysz
    Atlanta Mandolins

Late Breaking News -

We have finalized an agreement with the Masonic Center in Dayton to hold our Saturday concert at their facility.

This is a great facility for concerts and is well known in the community.

Hopefully, this will greatly aid ticket sales
    Lou Chouinard

The Masonic Temple is an Historic Building, built during the Depression, and is nearly all original....it IS handicapped accessible, yet maintains its era with wrought iron sconces, beautiful wood trim, and lots of marble. The auditorium has the audience in the round, with a center floor section near the stage. Those either attending the concert OR participating it in it will LOVE it!
    Yvonne, one of the CMSA Planning Committee members
    PS We were privileged to get a tour of almost the entire building---PHENOMENAL!!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Any more news on the Convention?
    I'd like to get started on the en masse music.
    thanks

To all -

We are diligently working on registration and hope to open registration in the next couple of weeks.

Work on the En Masse Orchestra music is almost complete. We should be in a position to send out the En Masse music as soon as registration opens.

On another note, we have retained the services of Mr. Max McCullough to be the emcee for both concerts, both Open Mic sessions, and the Playing Contest. For those of you who have had the pleasure of seeing Max in action in his tuxedo, he is a great!
    Lou Chouinard

Hot off the presses -

2009 CMSA Convention En Masse Music

Music for Play by Claudio Mandonico

Preludio Sinfonico by Ugo Bottacchiari

Waltz for Bill Monroe by Butch Baldassari

Evening Sky by Bob Martel

Sky-Colored Lake by Bob Martel

Rondo Vulgaris by Srdan Ribarovic
    Lou Chouinard

Will the en masse music be posted on CMSA website?
    thanks

I think so; I believe that Sept. 1st is the goal to have it up and ready. It really takes awhile because I think the pieces have to be typeset into Finale or Sibelius; that's how our Dayton Mandolin Orchestra does it and in the case of older pieces, it is not easy! You cannot scan them because they do not come out clearly. I'm sure some one's working on it, just as we DMO folks are working out the details here. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Lou and other CMSA goers. I've spent loads of time in Dayton in my past career and still love the town. Dayton is a fun place and they have a great scene not only jazz but a very good bluegrass scene. I believe Frank Wakefield is from there and also I know Red Allen is to name a few. I'd be going just to hang with other mando folks and would love to see Dayton again but to many other festivals have zapped my festival funds for the year.

CMSA is pleased to announce the "all star lineup" of Section Leaders for the En Masse Orchestra -

SECTION LEADERS

First Mandolin - Annika Luckebergfeld

Second Mandolin - Lou Chouinard

Mandola - Antonina Nigrelli

Mandocello - Yvonne Wingard

Guitar - Fabian Hinsche

With the exception of the M2 slacker, all are professional musicians and/or music educators
    Lou Chouinard

Registration is now OPEN!

If you are now or have been a CMSA member in the recent past, you should have received your 2009 Dayton registration materials in the mail.

Due to the extraordinary efforts of our fine webmaster, Dave Betts, on-line registration is also operational. Please go to www.classicalmandolinsociety.org to sign up on-line.

Early registration rates are good until Monday, September 28 so register early and save $50

Also, on-line membership sign up / renewal is also available on-line - with or without convention registration.

To make hotel reservations at the Crowne Plaza hotel, please go to https://resweb.passkey.com/go/CMSA or call 1-888-233-9527.
    Last edited by M2Lou; Sep-17-2009 at 6:07pm.
    Lou Chouinard

It isn't working for me.
    I got this message after I entered my name and email. ???

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: '[string: "disabled"]'

/asp/signup.asp, line 712

Wundo, I go that same message twice when trying to register on line but just now it went through. You might want to just try it again.
    -L.

I just tried again, still not working