Thread: "the Gibson" logo

Registered Person

Default "the Gibson" logo

I have an old 20's perhaps very early 30's Gibson style 2 uke with a 17 fret neck that has lost it's "the Gibson" logo. Anyone know where I could find one of those? I'd imagine it's a little smaller than the mandolin logo.

Default Re: "the Gibson" logo

Sometimes you'll find "The Gibson" script style logos in pearl on ebay...don't know if they're real or knockoffs and there used to be a website that sold guitar decals, mainly electrics, but I did see "The Gibson" logo decals on there as well.

Sorry I don't recall the website name...just google "The Gibson"...worked for me...Since Gibson clamped down on their stuff (and rightly so IMHO) maybe they're unavailabe now...dunno?

Blog Entries

You could make your own with a font like LOKICOLA.TTF availble free from many places. Those e-bay ones aren't real Gibson made ones... You could talk to Dave Harvey with Gibson OAI, too.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You have a PM.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

While Gibson frowns on putting their logo on instruments they did not build I believe they will replace it for you on one they did build. Of course you will probably have to supply them with the ukulele for awhile.
    Bill Snyder

Tom Ellis in Austin does all the pearl inlay for Gibson mandolins. Wonder what he would charge to put one on?

www.precisionpearl.com
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Registered Person

Inlaid would be nice, but not really practical or original to the instrument. I believe in the late 20's the logo was silkscreened, the uke-3 in my avatar is silkscreen, but I've seen a few that look like decal. So.. my search for a decal is still on. I did hear back from one seller of headstock decals that he found a 35mm "the Gibson" logo in his 'old' drawer, so maybe this guy has it. I did check with Mike E's source(thanks Mike!), and was offered an MOP, but I think it'll have to be out of my hands for a few weeks for something like that. I really prefer to keep it simple, it's ok without one too. Thanks gang, I appreciate you.