Thread: Washburn 275

Default Washburn 275

Hi! Can anybody tell me anything about a Washburn 275 model? All I know for sure is that it is old and beautiful. I would appreciate any information. Can anybody tell me what one should cost? Is there like a blue book of mandolins? Also, how old exactly would it be? I have heard from 1890s to 1920. That's a big gap. Thank you, friends. ~Kim
    Kim Roulias

Default Re: Washburn 275

http://home.comcast.net/~ukecat/mandolin/mandos4.html
    Scroll down to the bottom for a picture at least.

The 275 was an upgraded Lyon and Healy/ Washburn product -it would have been manufactured sometime in the first 20 years of the 20th century. It probably has nice little propeller inlays and such on the fingerboard. If it's in absolutely pristine condition and can be connected to the right person in a perfect world (yours) it could go a grand,but,there isn't a great deal of interest in American made bowl back mandolins and they usually only fetch maybe a couple of hundred dollars and that for good ones. I tend to think that any old instrument is worth at least that in any condition. The ones who use these things are usually classically oriented and are looking for European Embergers and such.

Thanks, Barney. I just bought one...
    Kim Roulias

Forgive me if this is old news to you, but please be aware that bowlbacks require extra-light strings. The strings used for Gibson-style bbluegrass will destroy the neck joint in short order.

GHS makes a classical set which some folks dislike; I find the set OK if not terrific. Dogal Calace rw92b is a nice light Italian set that sounds good and lasts forever. Bernunzio carries them. Lenzner makes a set called "Consort" qwhich is also of quality. The firm changed its name, and I can't remember what it is now. The folks at the classical/renaissance section of the board are big into bowlbacks and can provide you with more info.

Blog Entries

I have a Washburn, not a 275, but its lovely. And a boomer too. And I do a fair amount of old timey on it. I do stick out at the jam when I do, but I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user9005_pic131_1221145385[1].jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	40558  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....