Thread: String Spacing at the Nut and Bridge - Your Opinions

Default String Spacing at the Nut and Bridge - Your Opinions

I have a 1916 Gibson F-4 and a 1956 F-12 that both have nearly identical string spacing. It's quite easy to switch back and forth between these two mandos since they "feel" so much alike. I recently got a Kentucky KM-340S to use as a work/campfire mandolin to be kept in my office without worrying much if it got stolen. The string spacing is considerably narrower on this mandolin. My question is would any of you folks bother to change the string spacing to match the Gibsons or would you simply get used to the Kentucky?
    After considerable play time on both Gibsons this week, I picked up the Kentucky this morning found it a bit awkward because of the narrower spacing. Opinions??

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Default Re: String Spacing at the Nut and Bridge - Your Opinions

If you learn to play the Kentucky cleanly, wouldn't that make you even better on the Gibsons?

I don't know, Chasray. I can play both wider strung Gibsons pretty cleanly but the problem I'm having with the Kentucky is with overshooting the narrower strings. It's kinda the opposite of going from mandolin to guitar. I tend to play in between the guitar strings for a while because of the extra width. Once I get used to it, things are fine until I switch back to mandolin. I'm trying to decide whether to spend more money making the Kentucky feel like the Gibby's.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

If there is a good setup man in your area, it might not cost much to make the change. Just a new nut with new slots cut. My first thought was to learn to play with different feels (I know...life is short...). Sounds like it's going come down to how much $$.
    If you do make the change, let us know if it's was worth it.

The string spacing at the bridge saddle is considerably narrower as well. It may be time to sharpen up my setup skills. I have a bone nut blank and can get a new ebony bridge. I don't have much in the way of tools but this may be the excuse I need to go shopping at Stew Mac. Who knows, I may end up being the good setup man in my area.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL