Thread: Jethro Burns book

Default Jethro Burns book

Who has used the Jethro Burns Complete Mandolin(Mell Bay) book and CD material? Is it well organized and did you find it helpful in advancing your skills and knowledge? Does it move you through a logical progression from simple to more advanced techniques, plus have good examples with each step?

Default Re: Jethro Burns book

If you want to learn many of Jethro's tunes then this is the book for you.

But WARNING!

This book is more of a compilation of TAB, and standard notation, of many of Jethro's works. There really isn't much in the way of instruction and it definately isn't for the beginner...but I love it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	40512  

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

There have been some previous threads on this, to which I contributed. The book is a treasure-trove of Jethrology -- very uneven but wow can you get some good ideas from it. There is some very basic stuff - simple chords, beginner's Little Brown Jug etc. but then on page 22 is Jethro's Tune in all its glory. Most of the solos from the Down Yonder LP are tabbed out -- it took me about a year to get Mississippi Sawyer up to moderate speed, and I've been on Back Up & Push for a month now... there are also his 3-finger chord theory and some chord melody, and some nice jazz stuff like Litterbug (=Jitterbug) Waltz. Be aware that the CD sound quality is terrible -- I think it was copied from noisy casette tape (probably they had lost the masters when they switched to CD) -- but you do get to hear the licks.

From what I read here(thanks for the input) it seems the book is more compilational than instructional. Is that accurate?

This book is tunes, solos and exercises. There is little on 'this is how you hold the pick, here's a mando theory lesson, etc.'

What I wish was in here was his take on Mississippi Sawyer, the chordal thing. I have a tape of a Sam Bush workshop, someone yells out 'Jethro!' Sam modestly says something about his lack of Jethro-speak, then plays this MS thing - perfect.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    From what I read here(thanks for the input) it seems the book is more compilational than instructional. Is that accurate?
    it's emphatically not a method.

and if you want to get into jethro's jazz style (and if you have the necessary preparation)

the transcriptions on mandozine will serve you far better.

Jethro's take on fiddle tunes was to play flowing, swinging eighth notes, with touches of blues or chromaticism. In a way this set the stage for modernists such as David Grisman, Sam Bush, and Chris Thile. Check out Old Joe Clark, Flop Eared Mule,Rickett's Reel, Sailor's Hornpipe. Jethro used to teach this type of tune to beginners. You don't need the audio, everything is there in standard and TAB.

One of Jethro's main contributions to the world of mandolin was his innovative chord-melody technique. This is well documented in the book as well. His harmonization(four strings at a time) of America the Beautiful is worth the price of the book by itself.

Jethro was also under-rated as a composer of mandolin tunes. Have you heard the CD "Back to Back" with his fellow jazz mandolin pioneer Tiny Moore? Tunes on there like Jethro's Tune and Flickin' My Pick are in this book, along with Jethrology, Ripoff, Sam's Bush, and Reuben Sandwich.

The great classical mandolin master Carlo Aonzo has MEMORIZED this book! In fact you can see him on Youtube playing Reuben Sandwich. Other mandolinists of renown who show the influence of Jethro and the material in this book include the aforementioned Sam and David, also Peter Ostroushko, Tony Williamson, Evan Marshall, Radim Zenkl, and Barry Mitterhoff.

Some may perceive my statements and opinions here as biased, given that I learned from Jethro and played in his band. I can assure you I have no financial interest here. Sadly, neither does Jethro, as this year marks the twentieth anniversary of his passing. The man who transcribed the original three books, Ken Eidson, is also gone. What a fabulous musician. I once saw him transcribe a solo(in it's entirety) from a record AS IT PLAYED. The point here is that I feel the book, while not perfect or flawless, has an awful lot to offer, particularly for those seeking more fretboard familiarity and those looking to add a little more 'flow" or "color" to their playing.

Thanks for listening and good luck with your playing on the world's greatest instrument, whether you with the book or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stiernberg View Post
    Jethro's take on fiddle tunes was to play flowing, swinging eighth notes, with touches of blues or chromaticism. In a way this set the stage for modernists such as David Grisman, Sam Bush, and Chris Thile. Check out Old Joe Clark, Flop Eared Mule,Rickett's Reel, Sailor's Hornpipe. Jethro used to teach this type of tune to beginners. You don't need the audio, everything is there in standard and TAB.

One of Jethro's main contributions to the world of mandolin was his innovative chord-melody technique. This is well documented in the book as well. His harmonization(four strings at a time) of America the Beautiful is worth the price of the book by itself.

Jethro was also under-rated as a composer of mandolin tunes. Have you heard the CD "Back to Back" with his fellow jazz mandolin pioneer Tiny Moore? Tunes on there like Jethro's Tune and Flickin' My Pick are in this book, along with Jethrology, Ripoff, Sam's Bush, and Reuben Sandwich.

The great classical mandolin master Carlo Aonzo has MEMORIZED this book! In fact you can see him on Youtube playing Reuben Sandwich. Other mandolinists of renown who show the influence of Jethro and the material in this book include the aforementioned Sam and David, also Peter Ostroushko, Tony Williamson, Evan Marshall, Radim Zenkl, and Barry Mitterhoff.

Some may perceive my statements and opinions here as biased, given that I learned from Jethro and played in his band. I can assure you I have no financial interest here. Sadly, neither does Jethro, as this year marks the twentieth anniversary of his passing. The man who transcribed the original three books, Ken Eidson, is also gone. What a fabulous musician. I once saw him transcribe a solo(in it's entirety) from a record AS IT PLAYED. The point here is that I feel the book, while not perfect or flawless, has an awful lot to offer, particularly for those seeking more fretboard familiarity and those looking to add a little more 'flow" or "color" to their playing.

Thanks for listening and good luck with your playing on the world's greatest instrument, whether you with the book or not.
    Thanks Don. Well said! I'd add that my friend and teacher Paul Glasse should be included in the mandolinists of renown who owe (and humbly acknowledge) a debt of gratitude to Jethro and his inimitable style. BTW, I love the book and consider it a lifelong resource (much like Ted Greene's guitar books).

Thanks for the encouragement folks. It was the Back to Back CD that first introduced me to Jethro Burns, and at the same time blew my socks off. I posted those feelings a few years ago to that effect. So as a compliment to learning scales, technique, etc. I'd like to start incorporating this into some real music, realizing this isn't going to be a walk in the park. It'll be quite challenging.

Yes, but so rewarding! When I get a glimpse of what that man could do...kinda like that old commercial for Visa or Mastercard...The dude at the driving range can't hit the golf ball very well, but towards the bottom of the bucket, he hits one straight and true for like 300 yards and cue the bagpipes. Kinda strange, but when I play Jethro's Tune and occasionally play it correctly, it puts a smile on my face. It makes me think that maybe I can play this thing after all I believe you will be well served by the book. Also the audio lessons with Jethro available online are an inspiration to me and can recommend it heartily.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I was just listening to Jethro's version of "Just Friends", from Swing Low...which has some killer chord-melody stuff! I've had this book for some time but have yet to delve into it. Don, thanks for the comment & the great lessons in Mando Magazine - some of the best instructional stuff out there, imo.