Thread: Mandolin for small hands

Default Mandolin for small hands

I have small hands. It's basically impossible for me to stretch my left hand and hit the chop chords reliably. Are there any mandolins with smaller fingerboards than others?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin for small hands

How long have you been playing? Are you unable to reach the chords TRULY because of physical limitations, or because you haven't yet struggled with it for a year?

As a player for under 3 years, I remember quite well when I thought it IMPOSSIBLE to get a clean 4 string chop chord. A long Gm chop is now 2nd nature.

Lots of children, 50 years younger than I, seem to reach lots of chords even with pretty tiny hands.

Other option: Use chords that don't require quite the stretch. There are lots to chose from. Even for good chops. I frequently chop with 2 or 3 strings anyway.

But, to answer your question, yes, there are some differences in the width, radius curve, and to a small extent scale length that might be a physical help to you. But I'd consider my earlier comments first.

Best wishes. Keep picking.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

You might scan down through this thread.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks, Mike, for the link to the old thread. That was some good information, especially since I've been shopping for another mando (MAS).

I also wanted to mention...I have small hands, plus arthritis. My hands just aren't going to do some things, or get into some chord positions. To compensate, I tried to learn about chord theory -- how to make chords. Instead of some of the 1-3-5 standard chords, I "remake" the chord (use chord inversions) or another "formula" to catch one of the other notes in the scale at another fret or string. That keeps me playing with a strong chord.

rmohr1, I thought I'd chime in. 55 yrs old & have been playing a bit over a year. Hands aren't small, but the pinkie and ring fingers curve toward the middle finger when wrapped around the neck. Reach is - not good. Arthritis in hands (not RA, though), and find that making chords is good for my pain level. I think "stretching out" is good for the tendons, and helps support my joints. I set a goal a couple of months ago of making some of the more extreme chord shapes every day, and I'm finally starting to be able to comfortably do it. Not fast, not super-clean, but it's coming!

I also agree about the chord theory - that's very helpful. Funny how just rethinking particular chords can make a comfort difference, and sound the pretty much the same.

Anita
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

I think a big part of it is stretching your hands and building the strength to allow them to make those shapes themselves. Also, proper form actually does help hit those stretchy chords. I have pretty small hands (smaller than my Mom's and I'm a guy ) and I can hit some pretty stretchy jazz chords on guitar. If you hold the instrument with the neck at a good angle (45 or a bit steeper so works for me) and put the pad of your thumb on the back of the neck, your fingers stretch further than if you hold the neck horizontal and hold the neck in the web of your thumb muscle.