Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Note about new revised Classifieds

Default Re: Note about new revised Classifieds

I know nobody asked me, but sorry Scott...I don't like it either. I liked it better the old way. Thanks for running a first-class forum.
    1950 Gibson A-5
    1996 Flatiron Performer A
    2001 Flatiron Performer A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    -Unknown

I prefer the old style better also. I used to enjoy checking out the latest mandos for sale but now it's sort of like sifting through Craig's list...on a more selfish note ..as a small builder (mandolins) this is one of my main outlets for advertising. This site has been a tremendous help getting my business started...and I do appreciate it....I just hope the mando specific folks will continue to sift through the other stuff to finds us..

Just a question: are electric guitar accessories permitted? Although I do play electric guitar (and happen to be looking for an effects unit), this might potentially add a large amount of traffic that is even further from the mandolin world to the site.

For example, sites like craigslist and kijiji are full of ads selling things like a 'Boss GX700'. I'd guess that most mandolin players have no idea (or interest) in what a GX700 is, let alone in buying one. I see that electric guitars and even (to my surprise) looping pedals are allowed, so maybe effects pedals are as well. Well, I happen to be in the market for a Boss ME50, so maybe one will appear here (and someday, I may plug an electric mando into it too)...
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

It might be helpful to distinguish among the various reasons folks might not like the new classifieds format.

For me, adding options for non-mando instruments is OK because I own non mando instruments. What is less desirable, in my view is the new need to sift through many listings that are probably never going to be of interest to many folks who frequent the Cafe for mando stuff exclusively. Distinguishing between used and new instruments for folks who have one class or the other in mind appears to be very desirable.

I guess clarinets are out.

Would it be possible to set the window on the homepage that shows
    "Ten most recently posted Classified Ads of 457 total.", to only show
    mandolin group?
    Russ Jordan

I like the change. Thought currently not as instrument poor as other times,
    I've always wished I could offer for trade one of my guitars toward a mandolin. I'm currently watching for a nice banjo for my brother.

I have to revist my earlier comment of thinking it was a change for the better. I no longer peruse the Classifieds - too cluttered in the mandolin section - my only real interest these days. Perhaps if the "old" mandolin sections were restored and guitars/banjos/violins/others all got lumped into Others... I really like the cross-referencing other ads by owner in each ad. I just wish my earlier ads weren't buried at the bottom of a list that's too tedious to go through...
    Having said that, it's still the best site on the Internet, keep it up Scott.

I like the new format a lot. In fact, it's pulled me into being a registered user. I'm a builder of all the bluegrass instruments, and I write about a wide range of lutherie projects, and mandolins are just one facet of my interests. I've browsed the cafe quite often in the past, but now I never log onto the Internet without checking to see what's going on.

Roger Skipper
    www.skipperstrings.com

If it matters at all, I liked the mandolin specific classifieds. Thanks Scott, Dan, Jamie, et al. for hosting my favorite site on the internet.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Just on the off-chance that some of you hadn't noticed...you can go to the top of the classified section and click on your specific interest group...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Thumbs down for me too Scott. Perhaps you have been in Kansas too long. Maybe you could travel a little, get some fresh air?
    '02 Collings MF5

After some initial doubts, I'm finding the new classified section to be fine. I don't use the short-list on the home page. I just go straight to the classified section and mandolin category. As for a rush of threads about non-mandolin related subjects, I think I was being a bit chicken little-ish. That doesn't seem to be happening. Although I am worried about a rash of basketball threads appearing

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Although I am worried about a rash of basketball threads appearing
    Not to hijack, but what's a good basketball hat for a beginner? I'm not wanting to spend more than $5-- I can always upgrade later.

Blog Entries

I've had enough of this pity party. I have a basic rule that when I can no longer stomach my own message board, then that discussion ends.

You had your say. Here's mine.

I'm not here to run a popularity contest. If you don't like the Classifieds, you're welcome to find somewhere else to get your "entertainment" as some of you are calling it. It's a big internet and I just hate unhappy people. You can go elsewhere. It's OK.

For those of you with multiple current existing ads that are being critical, please remove your ads when you vacate the site. You know who you are. Sorry, I can't refund the money you paid to run those. Hope I haven't cramped your profit margins this week. Tried eBay?

For ten years I fended off guitars, banjos and every imaginable piece of musical equipment and more and I'm now done with that. The people selling items out there now are people that have frequented this site for years. They're welcome here. You can now trade your guitar for a mandolin, or vice versa. What a crime.

For those of you hurling insults trying to bait me out, I prefer you'd use your real name when you do that. Hiding behind anonymity is you know what.

I've done my time being harassed for not allowing other stringed instruments on the Classifieds. Appears I've traded one group of friends for a new batch. The internet sure is a swell place.

Finally, before one of you sends another nasty email ranting about why there is no mandolin link on the Classifieds, you really should look and see there's been one there from day one.

I've repeated this many times and am unafraid to do so again. If this site cramps your style, please leave and take the bad attitude with you. If you're waiting for me to change the Classifieds back, let me save you some wasted time. It isn't going to happen.

And please, pro or con--save it. I don't need to hear from you. This game has been replayed more times than I can count. I've been running this site since 1995 and the forum since 1998. Don't worry, I'll sleep just fine tonight either way and you should too.