Thread: Hand Position Work Pays Off!

Default Hand Position Work Pays Off!

I've been studying harmony and composition with a guy (a clarinetist/saxophonist with a heavy classical/jazz background) and, upon finding my technique somewhat, er, un-awesome, he sent me into some position exercises... He got me the Bach Sonatas for violin and the Carl Flesch Scale System... Man, I had no idea! Hand position has been a major revelation to me, and I've only scratched the surface! I can already see how pieces which were impossible are now just challenging... Exciting stuff!

Default Re: Hand Position Work Pays Off!

Could you tell me more about the Carl Flesch Scale System.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post
    Could you tell me more about the Carl Flesch Scale System?
    The Carl Flesch scale books were banned by the U.S. Constitution under the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause.

Seriously, now: Flesch is FEARSOME, and justly famous. But just about any violinistic scale-book will do the job. I personally have a fondness for Hrimaly, whose approach I find somewhat more, ah... humane. I also think that, while practicing Hrimaly, you get to sound a good deal better on the mandolin; Flesch, in other words, is a bit "too" violin-specific, IMHO.

Whether you choose Fearsome Flesch, Humane Hrimaly, or Severe Sevcik, practicing such material will have a MOST beneficial effect on your playing.

On the other hand, there is really no "need" for us to delve on violin scale-books. We have Calace's Method, Pettine, Munier (esp. Lo Scioglidita), and a myriad other texts that are mandolin-specific. Admittedly, of course, violin texts are much more readily available from just about any music store.

Chers,
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

I've been putzing wityh our friend Severe Sevcik lately, mainly because I found the book for cheap at a used book sale. These studies do help, although the damage done to the soul may prove irreparable come the great judgment day.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Ah, but... think of of how heart-warming and soul-enriching it will be when, after you have some Sevcik-induced facility under your belt, you get to play the music you love with ever more fluency and pizzazz!

At least that's what I tell myself...

Cheers,

Victor

Great point Victor. On the balance, I should be better off. Now, hopefully St. Peter agrees.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

Lemme check with him personally next week, John.

(The "inside joke", which of course no one here could have known about, is that I am a long-term member of the Orchestra at St. Peter's, a famed, old Lutheran church at the corner of the enormous CitiCorp complex in New York. Next week, i.e. Holy Week, we would have played as always Bach's St. Matthew Passion for Good Friday. This time around, by way of wild abandon by Lutheran standards, we're doing... Bach's St. John Passion. So many Saints, so little time...)

I'll get back to you on that beatitude (or not), John. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Victor

Good luck with those wild and crazy Lutherans. It sounds like they are going to party like rock stars for this Holy Week.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    --Francis Thompson

So many saints, so much passion. Seems unseemly to me.

It sure would be, Bob, were the music not by the Great J.S. He could set a tabloid article to music, and STILL make it sublime!