Thread: Wagon Wheel help?

Default Wagon Wheel help?

Can someone tell me what the chords are and what kind of a pick pattern he is using on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8saDIJczE

Thanks,
    Kent
    "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Col. 3:23

Black's Web Works

Default Re: Wagon Wheel help?

Open, first position chords: Verse same as chorus.
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C

Picking pattern seems to be kind of a cross picking pattern on the strings 4-1-2-3-1-2-3-1 for each chord and repeated. To be clear, those numbers represent the strings and the order they are picked. I would play it DUUDUUDU, but do whatever works for you.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Broyles for this post:

FYI, the original recording is the same pattern on capo 2 (guitar).

A E F#m D A E D throughout.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Old Crow Medicine show does it in A, we do it in G as well. We also slow it down.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    Open, first position chords: Verse same as chorus.
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C
    G D Em C G D C

Picking pattern seems to be kind of a cross picking pattern on the strings 4-1-2-3-1-2-3-1 for each chord and repeated. To be clear, those numbers represent the strings and the order they are picked. I would play it DUUDUUDU, but do whatever works for you.
    Silly question, which course is 1 and which is 4?

Highest to lowest. E1 A2 D3 G4.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Love this tune. Can't cross-pick to save my butt. Can't sing either. But just for yucks, I messed with those chords and that pattern and it sure sounds nice.

Then I moved it up to A and it sure does fit the fretboard nice on the top three strings. Just goes right down in a nice descending pattern. All triads except the F#m is 1-m3-1. I pick 3-2-1-3-2-1-2-1 DDUDDUDU as it's the only cross-pick pattern I'm even close to being able to do.

A x740
    E x620
    F#m x402
    D x002
    A x740
    E x620
    D x002

Blog Entries

We (The Neighbors) play it in A. I have been using a sorta Monroe downstroke style. Seems to work ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIVSCpcyRo

Thanks for all the help! A good friends son plays guitar and wants me to play with him just for fun so I am trying to learn this and it seemed easy enough for me.

Thanks again,
    Kent
    "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Col. 3:23

Black's Web Works

What strum pattern do you use for this tune? I’ve got the chords down but I’m not much of a strummer

Blog Entries

On a completely unrelated note, I saw a funny tiktiok where a person plotted out the towns and destinations reference in the lyrics and it didn't make any sense unless the writer meant a store not the actual Cumberland gap.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I recall being told the Johnson City reference in particular was out of whack, involved going in the opposit direction or something. I had been under the impression all these mentions had arisen from personal experiences, or at least would have come from picking suitable points on a map that correlated with the reported activities. Sigh ...

Anyway, here's my old band doing it as an encore at one of our regular gigs. A young lady had been bugging us all evening withy this request. We kept putting her off as we didn't do it (the lead singer had an issue with it being so "done" or over done). Even though our bass player knew one of the guys from Old Crow, since high school, and the two of us had been in another band that did it every night for 2 1/2 years, HE didn't know the words. Finally, she put a $20 in the tip bucket. So we got a friend up out of the audience who did know it to take over. And man oh man, the place erupted! Dancing, singing along, an exuberant outpouring of joy. Seems people really like that song. Who knew? Thankfully someone took a video and posted it. I played the role of band leader, and had the chance to demonstrate my solution to the problem of how to end the ever-repeating repetitive repetition of the refrain. Oh, and you can see the requester kiss and thank our lead singer near the end, about 5:00 - even though his only role was getting out of the way. Charming fellows get too much credit. Go figure!

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

I think you may have to blame Ketch for that verse.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Those verses. He wrote them, adding to a throw-away outtake from the "Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid" soundtrack. Dial it up on youtube, there's not a lot there - just the refrain, then a minute in a few lines of a possible verse that I can't quite make out. Dylan has given his blessing to what Ketch did, so they have a shared co-writing credit. And I'll bet anything that Ketch may well have had a nice long toke or two while having some fun writing what he did. Dylan may have as well - sounds like a late-night jam.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Here's a geographical exploration of the conundrum, may be the analysis Mike mentioned:

https://995qyk.com/2022/08/03/man-ex...akes-no-sense/

Walkin' to the south out of Roanoke
    I caught a trucker out of Philly, had a nice long toke
    But he's a-headin' west from the Cumberland Gap
    To Johnson City, Tennessee

Yup. Looks like east to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wagon Wheel Whoops.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	203035

I'd say, change it to "east" when you sing it. If anyone asks you why, tell them. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post

Anyway, here's my old band doing it as an encore at one of our regular gigs. A young lady had been bugging us all evening withy this request. We kept putting her off as we didn't do it (the lead singer had an issue with it being so "done" or over done). Even though our bass player knew one of the guys from Old Crow, since high school, and the two of us had been in another band that did it every night for 2 1/2 years, HE didn't know the words. Finally, she put a $20 in the tip bucket. So we got a friend up out of the audience who did know it to take over. And man oh man, the place erupted!
    My brother told me that he was doing a St. Patricks Day gig, and some fellow asked him if he played "Pat Murphy's Wake". My brother told him that he used to, but it had been a long time and he wasn't sure that he remembered the words. Anyway, the guy kept requesting it, and my brother kept putting him off. Finally, the man offered him a $50 bill to play it. My brother said to me, "It was amazing how fifty bucks focussed my memory."
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

20. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Here's a geographical exploration of the conundrum, may be the analysis Mike mentioned:

https://995qyk.com/2022/08/03/man-ex...akes-no-sense/

Walkin' to the south out of Roanoke
    I caught a trucker out of Philly, had a nice long toke
    But he's a-headin' west from the Cumberland Gap
    To Johnson City, Tennessee
    Yup. Looks like east to me.
    I'd say, change it to "east" when you sing it. If anyone asks you why, tell them. Done.
    Putting the rest of the trip together, starting from walking south out of Roanoke (NY?) we would get this map:

Name:	Wagon Wheel Trip Capture.PNG 
Views:	49 
Size:	370.4 KB 
ID:	203037

So notionally he caught a ride from Roanoke, NY, which is in the area known as the "North Country", down the coast with a trucker out of Philadelphia.
    Although our hero was headed to Raleigh, North Carolina, the trucker was headed west TO the Cumberland gap THROUGH Johnson City, TN?
    So our hero would have had to get out where interstate 81 meets 77 and head southeast to Raleigh while the trucker continued on his way.

The state motto for NC "To Be, Rather than to Seem", is not "Live free or die", which would be NH, so I am not sure what that line has in mind. 'If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free"
    ---
    Bruce
    Fairview, TX

2021 Big Muddy MW-0 #3130 Engelmann Spruce / Walnut
    2022 Mia Mandolin F-Style "Rose & Dove" Spruce / Maple
    2018 Weber Gallatin A-14F Sitka Spruce / Maple
    Instagram

Roanoke, Virginia not New York?

Name:	Roanoke.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	203040

But guys, what strum pattern do you use?

You can chop on 2 and 4 for simplicity, or a more complicated chop rhythm with more embellishment. Or, a basic strum pattern for that song would be:
    D D DuDu
    1 2 3+4+

Blog Entries

If you're talking about the strum pattern in the OP, you're out of luck. It's been taken down. This thread goes back 13 years.

I'm with Cheryl on this. Just a basic 4/4 on-the-beat strum with occasional upstrokes to liven it up.

Thanks Cheryl
    A pattern of D DU U DU was recommended but to me but that is a hard one for me as someone with little to no strumming experience — but is that an appropriate pattern?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

The cool thing to me is Darius Rucker doing the tune and having a hit, knowing the background between Dylan/Old Crow re: the tune, and the background with Dylan/Darius re: Only Want To Be With You (Hootie And The Blowfish). I get a real kick out of the ironies of music history, and I love Darius Rucker's work (as well as Dylan's of course). In my mind, Darius chose the tune because of both the irony involved and the groove of the tune, and had another big hit with it. But that's just a gut feeling.

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff