Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

Default Re: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

Barbara, an excellent tune, brings out the clean tone of the Petersen. But it's not the Rose Tree that I play (aka Bhios-sa La i bPort Lairge) which I got on TheSession.org. Does your Rose Tree have an alternate name? I recognize the tune but I just can't place it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Don't know how to embed this, so there is just a link to me playing Cooley's. Poor camera, but fair-enough mic.

http://www.hologence.de/mp3/Cooleys.mov

Oh, and it's all GDAE.

Bertram
    Bertram, I can't get this to play... does anyone else have that problem?

Barb

Ok, I'm on a roll! This is my Petersen Mandola, built in 1998, it's #7. I asked Bill about the instruments he makes, and in the order of greatest to least, it's Bouzoukis, Octave Mandolins, Citterns, then Mandolas. This was his personal Mandola.

I don't play it hardly enough. I usually play this tune, Kid on the Mountain, on my mandolin. I've got this Mandola tuned DD GG DD AA. Mandola's are generally tuned CC GG DD AA, but I think the sound of the lowest strings tuned up to a D from the C, sounds better..

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Barbara, an excellent tune, brings out the clean tone of the Petersen. But it's not the Rose Tree that I play (aka Bhios-sa La i bPort Lairge) which I got on TheSession.org. Does your Rose Tree have an alternate name? I recognize the tune but I just can't place it.
    Sounds like Leather Away the Wattle-O to me.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    This is a tune that our band had played for years, but didn't have a name for it (they affectionately called it Planxty Cheese!)

In Fiddler's Fakebook, there is Rose Tree I, and Rose Tree II (notes say Rose Tree II was recorded by Kenny Hall). Our version is pretty close to the Rose Tree II.

According to Sessions.org, this tune is also called "Leather Away the Wattle-O" and "London Bridge".

I realize now, that when we play this, we call it London Bridge, and then we play a tune we call Rose Tree (which is like Rose Tree I in Fiddlers Fakebook!). We actually play this as a three tune set: Road to Boston / London Bridge / Rose Tree.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    Bertram, I can't get this to play... does anyone else have that problem?

Barb
    It needs a Quicktime player/plugin on your computer to play.
    If you just have the player and your browser does not recognize the MIME type, you can download (right mouse click and save target as..) and play it locally.

I have posted a link to this before in another thread, and apparently some folks could watch it.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

This is the 3rd Petersen instrument I've got. It's a short scale Cittern, built in 1998, Cittern #10. I've got it tuned GG DD AA EE AA. Another instrument I don't play enough! The tune is an Old Timey Tune called Barlow Knife.

It needs a Quicktime player/plugin on your computer to play.
    If you just have the player and your browser does not recognize the MIME type, you can download (right mouse click and save target as..) and play it locally.

I have posted a link to this before in another thread, and apparently some folks could watch it.

Bertram
    I must need up update my quicktime player. When I click on your link, it opens up a different window, then acts like it's trying to do something with quicktime, but nothing ever happens. I'll try updating my player and see if that works!

Barb

This is my long scale Bell Cittern, built in 2004 by Nikos Apollonio of Rockport Maine. I rarely play this instrument, the scale is a bit longer than my OM or my Petersen Cittern. This old-time tune, Gal I left Behind was the first tune I learned to play when I started playing the mandolin 4 years ago!

This Cittern is tuned DD GG DD AA EE, with the lowest D strings in Octave, the rest in Unison.

Last edited by Barbara Shultz; Apr-16-2009 at 2:20pm.

Ok, I'm down to my 'beater'.... this is an 8 string Soares'y Baby Tenor Guitar, strung as an Octave Mandolin (GG DD AA EE). I got this to take when I'm traveling and don't want to subject my better instruments to the rigors of travel, to keep my fingers nimble and my callouses thick! I'm playing an Old Time tune called Walk Old Shoe.

Very nice Barbara--thanks.

wow Barbara, you sure have a lot of instruments! Nice playing too
    ~Vintage J.W. Pepper bowlback mandolin~
    My YouTube channel

here's another from me... this is on my trinity college irish zouk tuned GDAD.
    The sound quality is sub par on this video, but not too bad.
    I play these two tunes together with my session group. Maid behind the bar and The wind that shakes the barley.

My YouTube channel

Well, for those with problematic Quicktime implementations, I bit the bullet and uploaded my one and only clip to youtube. Didn't improve the visual quality, of course (should be called Slo-time, not Quicktime)

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Once you're at it, it's hard to stop. This one is to prove that an OM can take the place of a guitar if needs must, played fingerstyle with fingerpicks.

Bertram, thanks for uploading both those videos to YouTube! They were both great.... wish I could learn to finger pick!

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    .... wish I could learn to finger pick!
    It comes quite naturally with an OM, you can reserve one finger for each course and hardly have to move your hand at all. I always wonder how those guitarists work 6 strings without genetic deficiencies.

I had to get used to fingerpicks, though. I use those Propik Fingertones that allow your fingertips to feel the strings. Takes a lot of action putting them all on and off (like a knight and his armor) in a session between songs and tunes - and for the mouseclick before and after a video recording.

Bertram

I always wonder how those guitarists work 6 strings without genetic deficiencies.
    Once you are accustomed to alternating bass, guitarists need a couple of "extra" courses to keep their thumbs occupied.

Blog Entries

Kyle Baker: this is on my trinity college irish zouk tuned GDAD.
    The sound quality is sub par on this video, but not too bad.
    That Trinity sounds great! You do a nice job on those tunes. I play "Wind that shakes the barley" its one of my favorite tunes. That neck looks really long -- may be just be the prespective.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    That Trinity sounds great! You do a nice job on those tunes. I play "Wind that shakes the barley" its one of my favorite tunes. That neck looks really long -- may be just be the prespective.
    Thanks!
    They have a 26 3/8" scale... it feels long sometimes when I'm playing melodies. I have a shorter scale hora bouzouki that's around 23" scale, but I'd love to get a mandola to play melodies on. (the hora doesn't stay in tune very well so I hardly play it)

It's a good thing I've got long fingers!
    My YouTube channel

Argh. I'm getting sucked in here. If you all have the guts to do it, then I can too. Bach Cello Suite II, Courante - Cittern improv, piano accompaniment.

(I have the funny feeling I may regret this... Once it's out there, there's no retrieving it!)
    Last edited by groveland; Apr-19-2009 at 9:11pm.

You set the bar pretty high, Groveland. Somewhere, Herr Bach must be smiling down on your invention. You're a great advertisement for your instrument.
    David
    Clocks make no alliances.

Quote Originally Posted by groveland View Post
    I have the funny feeling I may regret this... Once it's out there, there's no retrieving it!
    Yeah, too late now. How do those regrets feel?
    But you're way ahead of competition here, I guess, outside anything I ever heard done with a CBOM (or with Bach, come to that). Without the visual information I'd never guessed that was CBOM at all, instead I could have sworn there was an electric guitar with a slightly fuzzy tube amp.

Bertram

Thanks, Bertram and Woody. No regrets, thanks to you!

This is my cheap hora short scale bouzouki... basically a 23" scale OM as far as I'm concerned. I need new tuners for it because it goes out of tune fairly easily. I have it tuned GDAD.
    This is a fun jig called Cunla.

My YouTube channel