Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

Good beat, Kyle, and the instrument stayed in tune at least through the video.
    There are lyrics with this to sing along, though most Irish prefer to sing it in Gaelic, for obvious reasons:

Who is down there, knocking the window frame? (3x)
    Only me says Cunla.
    Who is out there, knocking the ditches down? (3x)
    Only me says Cunla.
    Cunla dear don’t come any near to me (3x)
    Maybe I shouldn’t says Cunla.

Who is down there, taking the clothes off me? (3X)
    Only me says Cunla.
    Who is down there, tickling the toes of me? (3X)
    Only me says Cunla.

Who is down there, raking the fire for me? (3X)
    Only me says Cunla.
    Who is down there, climbing on top of me? (3X)
    Only me says Cunla.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Cunla and Bean Phaidin are two of my favorite Donal Lunney tunes... on the zouk...

I guess my Whiskey Before Breakfast Challenge entry qualifies in here 'cos it was played on a Mandola/Mandolin 10-string thingy....actually a Vega Cylinderback thingy, to be technical...

Okay, based on my assumption that this thread is more about the sound of the instruments than the ability to play them , and seeing as how I'm enjoying this instrument so much, here's a video of the Kestrel mandola that Gene Dillinger built for me (well, for him, but I pried it from his fingers). VERY nice instrument and it will be wonderful to learn to play it...

Tuning is CGDA and I am attempting to play the polka set (Dennis Murphys/L42 Cheque/John Ryan's) from Planxty's "Well Below the Valley."

Mark

and here is the Waldzither, ca. 1920s and restored by Tony Dixon of the UK, playing the same Planxty set. Tuning is as an octave mandolin, GDAEA, which seems to work splendidly on this instrument.... Again, forgive my playing, but man, this is fun!

MK

Blog Entries

Here are some recent ones:

I like the idea of hearing the same tune(s) on different instruments for comparison. In keeping with Mark's pioneering effort I suggest we play the same tuneset - Ryan's/L42 Cheque/Murphy's Polkas - on our CBOM's - one set per CBOM please- as fast or as slow as you like. It will be interesting to hear the different instruments. I've pulled the music for the Polkas off WWW.THESESSION.ORG and hope to have a rendition available by Sunday, if not sooner since I can already play Ryan's and Murphy's on the tinwhistle..

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I like the idea of hearing the same tune(s) on different instruments for comparison. In keeping with Mark's pioneering effort I suggest we play the same tuneset - Ryan's/L42 Cheque/Murphy's Polkas - on our CBOM's - one set per CBOM please- as fast or as slow as you like.
    I think I will put my oar in with this the next days, when I find the time. But it will only be Murphy's/Ryan's - I don't have to practise much for these, since I play them in sessions quite often. The 42 Cheque seems to get lost in session situations (typical middle child situation). Hope that counts anyway.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
    and here is the Waldzither, ca. 1920s and restored by Tony Dixon of the UK, playing the same Planxty set. Tuning is as an octave mandolin, GDAEA, which seems to work splendidly on this instrument.... Again, forgive my playing, but man, this is fun!

MK

The Waldzither sounds amazing! Thanks for the great example.

I like the idea of hearing the same tune(s) on different instruments for comparison. In keeping with Mark's pioneering effort I suggest we play the same tuneset - Ryan's/L42 Cheque/Murphy's Polkas - on our CBOM's - one set per CBOM please- as fast or as slow as you like. It will be interesting to hear the different instruments. I've pulled the music for the Polkas off WWW.THESESSION.ORG and hope to have a rendition available by Sunday, if not sooner since I can already play Ryan's and Murphy's on the tinwhistle..
    I love this idea! I love learning new tunes (ANYTHING to keep me from housework, haha!)...... I also love www.thesession.org. I got Dennis Murphy Polka & 42 pound check... for clarification, is the Ryan's (in a search on sessions) the Ryan and the Pittmans (called a jig?)... and, which order .... Murphy/42 pound/ryan?

I also suggest when we do this, that we start a NEW thread....start it off with Mark's two submissions, then see if we can out-do the Whiskey Before Breakfast challenge!

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Shultz View Post
    I got Dennis Murphy Polka & 42 pound check... for clarification, is the Ryan's (in a search on sessions) the Ryan and the Pittmans (called a jig?)... and, which order .... Murphy/42 pound/ryan?

...then see if we can out-do the Whiskey Before Breakfast challenge!

Barb
    The full name of the last one is John Ryan's Polka. Those three, in the order you indicated, were once made famous forever by the group Planxty.

At least, we don't have to drink with this one

Bertram

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The full name of the last one is John Ryan's Polka. Those three, in the order you indicated, were once made famous forever by the group Planxty.

Bertram
    Ok, I've got them all printed out from the sessions. All Polka's All in G....

Maybe drinking with the tunes makes it even more fun!

I had an emergency appendectomy last month, and when they were taking all my info, and came to the part about drinking, I told the doctor "well, I'm in a band, and I drink a couple of glasses of wine twice a week at band practice"... got a chuckle out of him!

Barb

I told the doctor "well, I'm in a band, and I drink a couple of glasses of wine twice a week at band practice"... got a chuckle out of him!

Barb
    Emergencies are so much more pleasant with humor... "Allwoys look on the broyght soyde of loyfe!"

Bertram

Bertram
    No Drink?

No Drink?
    I try to keep liquids away from the computer. I made an exception for the WBB Challenge, and during yesterday's capture a few drops of Highland Park went on the keyboard, but no harm done (except a waste of spirits ).

But try and watch me practising...

Bertram

Maybe drinking with the tunes makes it even more fun!

I had an emergency appendectomy last month, and when they were taking all my info, and came to the part about drinking, I told the doctor "well, I'm in a band, and I drink a couple of glasses of wine twice a week at band practice"... got a chuckle out of him!

Barb
    I'm not advocating we all use the same key but I think they are in D on TheSessions. I'll probably play then in C capo'd 2 - at least on the mandola and Waldzither.... j/k.

I'm not advocating we all use the same key but I think they are in D on TheSessions. I'll probably play then in C capo'd 2 - at least on the mandola and Waldzither.... j/k.
    Barb
    You're right... D! not G! What was I thinking? (or NOT thinking!)

Barb

I think I will put my oar in with this the next days, when I find the time. But it will only be Murphy's/Ryan's - I don't have to practise much for these, since I play them in sessions quite often. The 42 Cheque seems to get lost in session situations (typical middle child situation). Hope that counts anyway.

Bertram
    Now that I've tried all 3 together I agree with you about the 42-pound cheque. I'm just going to do Murphy's and Ryans... I can find Murphy's Stout but I'm stuck for anything by Ryan... Ouzo or Grappa maybe?

The doc says there's too much blood in my alcohol system...

D it is, and I've posted links to the videos as well as the funny little dots for them over on the new thread... as I say there, I'm looking forward to hearing what they are really supposed to sound like!

MK

So, if I read this right, the above polka challenge has moved to its own thread, "Polka Challenge - CBOM Tasting and Cheese" and we're back to "Post a video of you playing your CBOM!" again. Have I got that right? Excellent. On with the show.

Here's two more, outside any challenges, after I got my webcam recorder to actually show some motion, at the cost of a slight audio quality loss.

So this is "Mouth of the Tobique" - I like Canadian tunes, they're somehow like Irish tunes on steroids.

And here are two hornpipes, "Home by the Fire" by Donogh Hennessy and Chief O'Neill's. Featuring two highlights: a glitch in Home by the Fire, and me in Chief O'Neill's trying to look somewhere else but on my fingers (I'm afraid it came out as a vicodinic gaze Dr. House-style).

Bertram

Here's two more, outside any challenges, after I got my webcam recorder to actually show some motion, at the cost of a slight audio quality loss.

So this is "Mouth of the Tobique" - I like Canadian tunes, they're somehow like Irish tunes on steroids.

And here are two hornpipes, "Home by the Fire" by Donogh Hennessy and Chief O'Neill's. Featuring two highlights: a glitch in Home by the Fire, and me in Chief O'Neill's trying to look somewhere else but on my fingers (I'm afraid it came out as a vicodinic gaze Dr. House-style).

Bertram
    Hey, those were both great! I love Hornpipes.... and everybody loves Dr. House.... he's about as scary as a big ol' teddy bear!

Barb

I think this thread might warrant reviving -- I recorded a few tunes on my 1925 Zimmermann waldzither for the Song-A-Week social group. I've posted six of them over in the group (and they can be seen through my Youtube channel here if you can't get enough of waldzither tone), but for the purposes of this thread, my video of Dermot Grogan's hornpipe might be of interest -- I've also recorded the tune on my Ajr and my resonator tenor guitar and it's intriguing to compare.

I've had the waldzither for a few years, but haven't got around to playing it much in the last years or two, so I'm a little less fluent on it right now than I am with the reso tenor and the Ajr version, but I think the tune works well nevertheless.

Also potentially interesting to compare the tone with Mark Kunkel's Boehm waldzither a few posts back in this thread: they are similar age, same tuning (GDAEA - a great tuning for waldzither), but sound utterly different.

Martin

Angry Cowboy Disco grumpycoyote's Avatar

Here's a cover of the Band's "The Weight"...

I'm just banging away on my TC OM and my partner in crime is playing slide uke.

I hav others on my channel too - including some originals, but this one is as close to polished as they get.