Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

Default Re: Post a video of you playing your CBOM!

Here are a few recent ones:

Very cool Shaun! Is that a Kimble 'dola? What kind of octave mando is that?
    Awesome right hand stuff on the octave piece!

Thanks for the kind words Matt. I worked for a long time trying to play with a loose wrist and it's finally paying off. That's a Flatiron octave/bouzouki. It's got a 23.5" scale and I play it in GDAE. And the other vids are of my new Kimble 'dola. It's a great instrument and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

So when do we get another 'cello video?? (hint, hint) That thing sounded amazing in your hands!

This isn't me but it certainly deserves to be heard. Emory Lester on what appears to be a Capek mandola:

I hope it's okay to repost this here, for those who might be interested due to its mandola content.

"Der Spiegel", also known as The Mirror (or Tabletop) Duet, is attributed to Mozart, and was cleverly written to be played from the same sheet of music, with the second part read upside down. I'm playing a Mid-Missouri M-16 (spruce and rosewood) on the left, while my doppelgänger plays a Big Muddy M11M (all mahogany) on the right.

bratsche

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Bratsche that was great! Excellent playing and video. Now I want to play Der Spiegel on the mandola, like I needed a reason to buy another instrument.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

Thank you very much, David! You can play it on mandolin, too - here's a place to get a free download of the part for violin(s). I used one similar, and the mandolas transposed themselves down a fifth.

Of course if you're just looking for an excuse to get a mandola (or another mandola), that is something I understand all too well!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Wow, Bratsche, I completely missed out on this one.
    Apart from your good strong tone, the whole symmetric Spiegel approach made such a perfect impression, I am sure Mozart would have liked it.

What I missed, though, was you shaking hands with your alter ego in the end
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Registered User Prince of Darkness's Avatar

I've already posted this elsewhere, but if anyone hasn't seen, it this is me playing "Tune For a Mop Fair" by Simon Mayor on my mandocello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OCZJR_LOI
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Wow, Bratsche, I completely missed out on this one.
    Apart from your good strong tone, the whole symmetric Spiegel approach made such a perfect impression, I am sure Mozart would have liked it.

What I missed, though, was you shaking hands with your alter ego in the end
    Thanks, Bertram! Such high praise, coming from you! The handshake idea would be clever, but is beyond my present level of technological knowhow...

If I could figure out a few more things, too, I have other projects in mind I'd love to do... it would be nice to actually play one track while listening to one already recorded, but unfortunately, I cannot record in or near my computer room, as it's just too noisy and hot at that end of the house, so I had to make do without, and edit as best I could.

Ah, the learning curve.... LOL

bratsche

2 tunes - The Wild Rover and Only Her Rivers Run Free - played on a Joe Foley BLARZ (10-string Cittern) modified as an 8-string Bouzouki. Cedar Top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, 17" across the body, 5" deep at the tail, 26" scale length. Transducer P/U in bridge.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Already posted elsewhere, but fits here as well. Farewell to Whisky by Neil Gow, played on a Fylde Touchstone OM.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Does anyone have an F style? What do they sound like?
    Craig

Here's a couple of Polkas on a Weber Big Sky OM - F-style...

Here are some from me that I´ve made for the Song of the Week - Group. I assume that tenors can be considered as CBOMs. It´s a Chanticleer reso-tenor and the bouzouki is made by Kai Tönjes.

Lovely playing Michael - I particularly enjoyed the sound you get with the tenor resonator.

A taste of a few clips from a bouzouki/mandolin concert at Zoukfest in Taos in 2003.
    Many thanks to fine bouzouki player Peter Hill for having the sense to film it!

Kevin Macleod

Michael, I LOVE what you do with the B part of "Over the Waterfall"!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Thanks Mandocarver and Marcus for your kind words. Good to hear that you like it.
    Funny enough Kevin Mcleod, who posted behind me, was the one who once brought the reso tenor to my attention. He and Dan Beimborn. The tenor became my second main instrument, so I think I owe them a pint or two.

Kevin,
    very nice to see these films of you and Alec. I often saw the photos from that event, fascinated by the gathering of great players and all these SOS instruments in one place.
    You sound fabulous together.

Hi Mike
    thanks for those kind words.
    Actually, I first heard the national resonator tenor guitar way back when Alec and Charlie Piggott started using them on De Dannan's Star Spangled Molly LP, back in the 80's. Alec picked one up Stateside when on tour, a mid 30s single cone one. It all goes round! He's the guy to buy a pint! I tracked down my first one in 1993, a lovely tricone, and got a single cone not long after, long before the days of the internet, both from Gruhn Guitars catalogues.
    The films are courtesy of a fine Enlish bouzouki player and friend, Peter Hill of Exeter, so he'd the man to thank there. It was, as always, amazing to be accompanied by Finn. He's a unique musician, and, by the way, never seems to practice! I look forward to the new forthcoming (old) De Danann cd they are making at present, with his distinctive bouzouki sound.
    I much enjoyed your films above, by the way - tasty playing.
    regards
    Kevin Macleod

Here's a song I recently learned and recorded by a great Canadian Rock band called The Tea Party. It's called "Heaven coming down."
    This is on my Jack Spira bouzouki tuned GDAD.
    ~Kyle

~Vintage J.W. Pepper bowlback mandolin~
    My YouTube channel

Kyle, that was wonderful! Your bouzouki is awesome, and you are quite a good singer, too! Glad you found some time to record this!

Here's one I posted on the other forum, didn't get many views, so here it is on the CBOM specific forum. To my knowledge, there isn't much of a Hawaiian music on CBOM following. Probably will be even smaller now. Played on my Tom Jessen OM.

My latest acquisition - Richard Beard Octave Mandolin, Spruce over Flamed Koa, 21" Scale...

There have been a fair few discussions here over the years of how good or how bad the Romanian bouzoukis made by Hora are (sold under a number of names by various distributors, including Ozark and Troubadour). Always difficult to say in the abstract, so here is a video of my 26" scale Trobadour Lionheart bouzouki. I changed the setup quite a bit, with a lower zero fret and a bone/ebony replacement bridge from Dave Hynds. Still, it's just about the cheapest zouk on the market -- I paid GBP65 (used) plus GBP15 for the bridge, so total cost is around US$120.

I don't play much zouk, but I think it's really quite a nice beater -- all solid woods, intonates really well, easy to play and a decent strong tone. Here is the current week's tune over in the Song-A-Week social group, "Carolan's Lament". I play the last repetition one octave down in 4th position (12th to 17th fret), to check tone and intonation high up on the neck.

Martin