Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Default Re: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

I'll be coming over for it. First timer. If anyone has advice or tips to offer I would sure appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Yossi
    "Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from every man" Ethics of the Fathers

Awright! Phil, you gotta put pressure on Mike to come. And glad to hear Pat will be there--if we lived closer to each other here in PA, I'd have her give me lessons.

Gutbucket..........a fate worse than death; getting plastered with Deetle Dots and having to eat with the soccer kids!! I will keep my bass CAPO-FREE.

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

I'll see the Jab-man this Sunday at "Boomerfest",(Pete Wernick's jam camp in Boomer, N.C), preceding Merlefest. We plan on recording a few tunes. I think he has changed employment and might not be able to attend Kaufman camp, but I'll find out for sure when we meet.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobike View Post
    Awright! Phil, you gotta put pressure on Mike to come. ...
    Celia
    Okay. Mission accomplished! Mike's coming!!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Yay! Go Phil, The Great Persuader! It'll be good to see Mike there, too.

Gutbucket, ain't you bailed out yet?? Now, use your persuasive powers on Jbrwcky, so we can have the entire group there......

Celia

P.S. Hey, everybody, learned my first tune in B FLAT on the mando (Daley's Reel). What a killer. I can play it at slightly faster than a funereal pace
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

Blog Entries

Wow, Bb! Of course that can't be too hard for a woman who knows five finger chords.

Many, maybe most, of the goals I set at the end of Kamp last year, remain unaccomplished. I had especially wanted to learn more BG songs, and I don't think I know the lyrics to any new songs. I've learned a grand total of one chord melody tune. I still don't know many chord forms. My brain is getting the hang of double stops, but my fingers are telling my brain where to stick itself with fair regularity. I left Maryville inspired to improve, and a whole year seemed like a long time. I got a little panicky when the flowers started blooming. Now I'm just trying to decide what to work on in these last few weeks.

(Yoshka, I'm looking forward to meeting you. My whining notwithstanding, it is not necessary to know anything in particular to have a GREAT TIME and learn a lot at Kamp. If you need something you didn't bring, I'll have a car and can give you a ride to a store.)

What are you all concentrating on as we get down to the wire?
    Laura

W-e-l-l, now, I don't know *that* many 5-finger chords! And it took me an age to learn that tune in B flat. I'd have to say that finger memory for that exact tune finally took over, which is the only reason I can play it. In other words, if I want to learn another tune in B flat, I'll be starting from scratch--because I don't yet have a sense (or at least a *fast* sense) of where all the notes in a B flat scale are.

As I've mentioned before, I've spent too much time on the bass this year. But hard to turn down gigs/jams on the instrument you already know.

Hmm......before I get to Kamp I'd like to learn just a few minor chords (and have them NOT hurt my fingers). I'd also like to get better at "backpicking" (when you move from one set of strings to the set below it--I CANNOT do that cleanly).

And a welcome to Yoshka, whom I somehow passed over in my exuberance to post last week. You'll love Kamp!

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

Yoshka,

Welcome. Get lots of sleep before you come. We tend to stay up late jamming. Biggest rule of camp: Don't be shy. Try everything. Ask questions. Enter into every jam situation that appeals to you. The opportunities are there.
    I take comfort in remembering that if I crash & burn in the middle of a tune, that everyone has a whole year to forget before next year.
    I'll wear my Forum cap a lot at camp so you'll know there's a friendly human under it.

Laura:
    Still working on Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, EMD, Blackberry Blossom, RAWHIDE!, Jerusalem Ridge (that's surely one you'll want to know, Yoshka), Cherokee Shuffle, etc.
    No, no. Not Red Haired Boy!!!
    We can do other stuff too. Hotel California anyone?

Wingher:
    Is this your first Kamp? Welcome. Be sure to intro yourself to all of us. Let's pick.
    Phil

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Sorry to be so unplugged lately. Great time this week with Gutbucket at Jamfest/Merlefest. Yes, I'm in for KK. Phil looking forward to seeing you again before then. If I get a condo on Norman we won't be far apart. It's either Norman or Southpark. Haven't decided yet. Some songs to prepare for Kamp: Take Me in your Lifeboat, and Aragon Mill. I'd like to pull a band together to play Isaac's this year. Anyone interested?
    We few, we happy few.

I'll again be at Kamp, as a mandolin student, of course! I almost moved-over to guitar this year, but I enjoy the mandolin classes too much.

I'll also be giving a workshop on what to do if your instrument has a bad day, and has a major accident. What -you- do in the minutes immediately after a big incident often determines how well it can be repaired, so this is a workshop for everyone's sake.

Jbrwcky! Great to hear that you're coming back to KK!

And I'll be the first to offer: I'll be the bass player for your Isaac's band, if you'd like..........

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Proulx View Post
    I'll again be at Kamp, ...
    I'll also be giving a workshop on what to do if your instrument has a bad day, and has a major accident. ....
    Mario,
    I'll look forward to that workshop. I've had incidents, so I can attest that knowing what to do is important.
    Are you bringing any "surprise" instruments this year?
    That LONG NECK mando with the hole in the side was interesting last year. Hmmm.... now you're making me wonder if that was the result of an "incident". Hmmm.....
    Phil

Blog Entries

jbrwky--I know that Kamp will be crawling with guitar pickers, but if you don't have one lined up, I'd love to play rhythm, especially with Celia on the bass. I'm a pretty good harmony singer, and my '92 D-18 sounds nice.

I'll be at Mario's workshop too. But I sure do hope I never have an incident.
    Laura

Yeah! Pickloser, would love to hear you play guitar.

And, Mario's workshop sounds like a good one--I'll likely be in on that, too. I hope none of my mandos experience an "incident," before or after KK!
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

Hey Ya'll I'll see you all at the KK. I've been twice but missed the last couple of years so I hope to meet all of you and put some faces on the avatars. Especially I want to say hell-o to Laura since I have family in the Greensboro area and hope to get up there some. I shall be bringing my bass in hopes of doing some jamming when my callouses give out. Lookin forward to it. Ya'll I'd love to sit in with you in your band as well.Can play a couple of instruments when someone gets tired just to get to meet everyone. John J

Celia! You're on. The foundation of any group is the bass palyer. I'd love to rope you into playing with a group. Gutbucket on Guitar. We'll need to find some harmony singers. Fiddle, banjo and we're are there.
    We few, we happy few.

I volunteer to lead the applause!!!!
    Phil

Pickloser, you're in. The more the merrier and we will have a great time. Give us some ideas about what you like to sing. Gutbucket is working on his flatpicking and sounding real good. Phil, you're in too. We need a decent mandolin player.
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrwky View Post
    I'd like to pull a band together to play Isaac's this year. Anyone interested?
    So for us out of state'ers and/or first timers...what is Isaac's? Local venue? During Kamp week? Can't talk about it or I'd have to kill you gig?

Interested in hearing/seeing your impromptu group!
    Going full bore, don't want to miss anything!
    2001 Flatiron F5

Blog Entries

Hi Mark--Isaac's is a little coffee house type place on campus. There's an open mike (mic if you prefer) there after the concerts.

Thanks Jbrwky! I know tons of songs. If it gets played at jams, I'll at least know the chorus. Tell me the songs you'd like to do, and the key, and I'll take the harmony high or low, whichever you prefer. If lead singing is required (although I was thinkiing you would have that covered), then I'm right fond of I Wish You Knew, or Past the Point of Rescue, or That's How I Got to Memphis, all in A, or You Belong to Me in C (could do it in D if I had to) or Faded Love in D. I know a lot of the Cabin songs and the "he left me" songs, again mostly in A, depending on how it's pitched. I know Rough and Rocky/Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain (same song isn't it?), In the Pines all bluesied up, and I've Just Seen a Face or In My Life, BG style. If you want to jazz it up, I could do All of me in E or Ain't Misbehavin' in D or St. Louis Blues in G or A. I know Everybody's Reaching Out for Someone in G or A. I know that what'sherface version of Blackberry Blossom, which works well with full speed BG versions between the verses. Heck, with a month's notice, you name it and I'll learn the harmony or the lead.

Good thing Gutbucket is flatpicking. I had an alarming tendency to try and tremolo at every opportunity last time I took a guitar break.

Uh-oh, now I really have to wood-shed! Can you play Bluegrass with a wah-wah pedal?
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

I'm with G-B. I'm needin' some wood-shedding.
    You guys come up with 4-5 songs for starters & let's get going on some pre-Kamp practicing.
    Phil

Well, at Pete's camp we did Aragon Mill, Farther Along, Take Me in Your Lifeboat, and Nellie Kane a lot, along with the usual cabin and murder/jail/hanging pastorals. I'm sure we'll find some overlap somewhere. My vocals are suspect. But if we need three parts, I'll do the easy one. We probably should have a slow tear jerker and a fast(er) instrumental. We could all play different fiddle tunes at the same time, since Gutbucket says they all sound the same anyway.
    We few, we happy few.

Blog Entries

Now you guys are making me nervous. Somebody name 3 songs and 3 instrumentals. Phil, you're good at that. Gutbucket, what's your fave? Farther Along? Nellie Kane? Either suits me. What key? Jbrwky, I think singing lead is easiest, so you've got that, right? I kinda like the idea of 3 instrumentals in the same key and run 'em smack together, Jbrwky, GutB, PhilPh, and out. Might sound good. And...well...I hate to mention it, but will there be a b###o?

Jbrky's going to have to name the singing songs and key, since he's taking the lead. If I were to sing lead, for tear jerkers I would go with Rough and Rocky, If That's the Way you Feel, I Wonder Where You Are Tonight, Little Cabin Home on the Hill, Hickory Wind, In the Pines, Careless Love, or Farther Along, all in A or B or Wayfaring Stranger in Em. The instrumentalists should call the instrumentals. Or we could send the issue to the person with the most power--the bass player. Bike Lady?

What fun!
    Last edited by pickloser; May-05-2009 at 9:18am.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I volunteer to lead the applause!!!!
    I'll second that! We can start "the wave" too!