Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Default Re: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post

Wingher:
    Is this your first Kamp? Welcome. Be sure to intro yourself to all of us. Let's pick.

Yup, first timer here. From the looks of these posts, I'd better start stockpiling the sleep now! I'm riding the waves of intimidation and excitation, but really looking forward to meeting everyone. My guitar playing husband and girlfriend are jealous that there seems to be no guitar groupies there. So if you see a couple of forelorn guitar players hanging around, you could throw them a couple of songs now and then!

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Don't hesitate to introduce yourself Wingher, we all look alike after while, sleep deprived, walking zombies, with sunken eyes, and hands permanently bent into claws. Actually that's what I look like all the time. Laura, another couple we did for fun were Just Because and I'll Go Steppin' Too. Bury Me Beneath the Willow, and Where the Soul Never Dies are good chorus harmony ones. Happy Sunny Side of Life has that give and take harmony in the chorus. Gutbucket, what else did we play? Instrumentals were St. Anne's, Jerusalem Ridge, Cherokee Shuffle (favorite), Whiskey BB (of course), and Celia's favorite, Red Haired Stepchild. Waltzes were Midnight on the Water which Gutbucket was doing on guitar, Maiden's Prayer, Kentucky Waltz. I'd like to do Lover's Waltz with somebody on guitar. Another one I'd like to do is Scott's own A Place in the Heart. But then I get all weepy.
    We few, we happy few.

Blog Entries

Jbrwky, if your Just Because is the one that starts: "Just because you think you're so funny..." I LOVE that one. It's uptempo and harmony sounds good thruout. All the rest are good for me too. I think it's up to your featured instrumentalists to express a preference. Or again, you could just leave it up to the biker chick bass player.

Wingher, the place is krawling with guitarists at all skill levels. I know how you feel with that intimidation/excitation yo yo. Last year was my first camp. You'll get comfortable quickly. It's a marvelous week. So much fun. Really nice folks.

Very little sleep. Plan now to take the following Monday off to de-zombify.

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    Now you guys are making me nervous. Somebody name 3 songs and 3 instrumentals. Phil, you're good at that. Gutbucket, what's your fave? Farther Along? Nellie Kane? Either suits me. What key? Jbrwky, I think singing lead is easiest, so you've got that, right? I kinda like the idea of 3 instrumentals in the same key and run 'em smack together, Jbrwky, GutB, PhilPh, and out. Might sound good. And...well...I hate to mention it, but will there be a b###o?

Jbrky's going to have to name the singing songs and key, since he's taking the lead. If I were to sing lead, for tear jerkers I would go with Rough and Rocky, If That's the Way you Feel, I Wonder Where You Are Tonight, Little Cabin Home on the Hill, Hickory Wind, In the Pines, Careless Love, or Farther Along, all in A or B or Wayfaring Stranger in Em. The instrumentalists should call the instrumentals. Or we could send the issue to the person with the most power--the bass player. Bike Lady?

What fun!
    I like "Nellie Kane," Jabrwky does that one well. And "I'll wear your Underwear Tonight" is real pretty to. There's only three fiddle tunes out there, so that should be no problem. Ran into Phil, (literally) at Merlefest. His playing keeps getting better, and that Henderson mando sounds awesome! Anything you pickers want to do is fine with me. We'll figure something out and work on it there.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

My guitar playing husband and girlfriend are jealous that there seems to be no guitar groupies there.
    Wow, you have a really great spouse. My wife won't let me bring my girlfriend. Gutbucket, I haven't heard you do that one about the underwear. Can't wait. Yes, Laura that's the one. Just because you think you're so pretty....There just aren't enough polkas at Kamp.
    We few, we happy few.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Jerusalem Ridge, Cherokee Shuffle, Whiskey BB are all good.
    Roanoke, Rawhide, Daybreak in Dixie are other crowd pleasers.
    Sweet Georgia Brown adds a different flavor. GutB, can you do SGB in F?
    I'd love to hear Jwky do Lovers' Waltz, too.
    Laura, what about some of your blues?

I just listened to Nellie Kane. I hadn't heard it in a long time. Sounds doable!

I guess Inagaddadavida is out???
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Wow, you guys! I guess I'm the drive-by message leave-er! I drop a message or two; forget to check in for a couple of days..........and y'all are off and running!

Well, let's see. I don't sing any lead vocals, but have actually been singing high baritone in the bluegrass band I'm in now (those of you who remember the pitch of my voice will recall that I am almost a *true* baritone, so--as you might imagine--that high baritone is VERY falsetto. The only reason I sing that part in this band is because there's already someone on tenor.)

I know tenor/high baritone on a lot of the old standards. Jbrwky, love that Aragon Mill and Nellie Kane as well.

This will be great. Next month--woo-hoo!

Does anyone remember how COLD Isaac's was? We walked in there one night last year and were shivering so badly we had to leave. Bring your mittens. Or, better yet, your bicycling gloves--they have cut-outs for the ends of the fingers.

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

Quote Originally Posted by jbrwky View Post
    Wow, you have a really great spouse. My wife won't let me bring my girlfriend. Gutbucket, I haven't heard you do that one about the underwear. Can't wait. Yes, Laura that's the one. Just because you think you're so pretty....There just aren't enough polkas at Kamp.

Polkas at camp! That cracks me up! The first time I heard that at a BG jam, I about died! My dad and I used to polka to that when I was younger!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrwky View Post
    Just found out it's called,"I wonder where you are tonight". I'm practicing that great CCR song, "There's a Bathroom on the right". And also "Big Spy Camera".
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I love "Big Spy Camera"!

Oh, I just listened to " I wonder where you are tonight" on Youtube with Del McCoury & Ronnie Reno. Pretty cool.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

I've been singing that Underwear Tonight song for about 15 years. How 'bout Dance All Night ("take off yer clothes and throw 'em in the corner) That or the polka. Or Nellie Kane. Or Farther Along. I'll sing any song I know the words to (and many I don't). Lately, I've been smitten with St. Louis Blues. "Wasn't for powder...or for store bought hair. The man I love...would not have gone no where." Pressure's off me for instrumentals; up to you guys.

I'd better watch my excitement level. Don't want to peak too soon.

Polkas! Well, Kenny Baker used to play "The Clarinet Polka"--it was great. I love polkas. Anyone for some Jimmy Sturr? Frankie Yankovic?

Phil, I think we can all jump in on "I Wonder Where You Are Tonight."

Wayne thinks Isaac's is too small for this band. He says we need to do one of the Open Mic nights on the main stage.

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

Wayne thinks Isaac's is too small for this band. He says we need to do one of the Open Mic nights on the main stage.
    Then I'll have to wear some else's underwear.
    We few, we happy few.

Maybe we'll *all* have to wear someone else's underwear if we play on the Main Stage! Naw, I think we'll do jes' fine wherever we play.

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5

If you guys will send me your email addresses, I'll create a mailing group and collate our ideas to boil these down to 5 or 6 songs and 5 or 6 instrumentals.
    We few, we happy few.

Now ya'll have to promise to do those tunes in the jams time to time. I usually sing harmony with my two groups here, and looking forward to hearing and gettin better listening to ya'll, maybe getting some coaching along the way.

I don't suppose there would be any need to bring my old bass? Are there usually enough bass fiddles around ? I don't play it much, but wouldn't mind if someone else did.
    2001 Flatiron F5

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Normand View Post
    Now ya'll have to promise to do those tunes in the jams time to time. I usually sing harmony with my two groups here, and looking forward to hearing and gettin better listening to ya'll, maybe getting some coaching along the way.

I don't suppose there would be any need to bring my old bass? Are there usually enough bass fiddles around ? I don't play it much, but wouldn't mind if someone else did.
    Bring er down! Never enough basses around. Twin basses are a cool thing, too.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

By the way, guys, Warren Knorr set up a trust fund for the wife and son of the late John Studdard, who was the sound man at Kamp forever(as well as the guitar player and singer in Hiwassee Ridge), and passed away this winter after a long battle with cancer. The fund will be turned over to his wife and son on the final Friday of Kamp, then shut down. I am donating a mandolin to the fund to help out, and have been loosely documenting the buildup of it on my site's "workshop" pages, here:

http://proulxguitars.com/the_workshop.htm

The body is closed now and rough bound, so I'll be making the next pages any day now(some surprises to come!). She's gonna be a sweetheart of a mandolin! Spread the word around about the fund, if you can(information on how to donate and get a chance on the mandolin at the above link also). John was a good friend to most of us regular Kampers, and always provided great sound for the concerts. Help out if you can, and hopefully the mandolin will also go to a cafe member here.

Thanks Mario, I didn't know about this. I look forward to seeing you again this year.
    We few, we happy few.

I haven't been to KK before, but am seriously considering it this year.

I've gone to the Symposium on the West coast the last 2 years and it's great. Have been thinking about mixing it up this year (that and I think Don Stiernberg is a great instructor).

Any other hints for newbies? Like "be sure the ask to be near dorm XX because that's where the tiki lounge is..."?

Don

Stay away from the running soccer kids in the cafeteria, don't deetle with your instrument while the teacher is talking, stock up on cafine or Red Bull products, and stay away from the Salisbury steak-like stuff thats served on Thursday nights. Oh, and don't forget to bring your check book to the camp store. See ya next month.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

A couple new pages of the SFSF mandolin build are up. The mandolin will be on a stand in the Kamp store all week, and everyone's welcome to give it a try. I'm doing a few firsts in this one, and will appreciate all comments, good and bad.

http://proulxguitars.com/js_mando/js_6.htm

http://proulxguitars.com/js_mando/js_7.htm

Got new tires on the car, and ready to head down to Kamp! Is it time yet? Is it? Is it? <bg>

Looks sweet Mario! Can't wait to see it in 3D. And no, you won't need snow tires in Maryville in June.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

Making final decision about Kamp in the next day or so.

Do most of the Kampers stay on campus in the dorms?

-Don

Do most of the Kampers stay on campus in the dorms?

It's the only way to go! Driving back and forth to a motel room would ruin it.