Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Default Re: Kaufman Kamp Week 2 ?

Celia it was relly nice meeting you guys as well. Was just lucky enough to be in Carnegie to get to pick with all of you great cafe folks. I sent Wayne a link to some photos from kamp (you are in a few) so if you didn't get them send me a PM.

Also, be sure to suggest Bobby on your kamp evaluation form or even send Steve an email, he seems fairly responsive to these.

On a final note, if you guys need to add some fiddle/octave horrors to your picking show next year just let me know.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobike View Post
    Hey; a P.S. here: John (WGlide) and Keith, great to meet you guys, too. I wish there had been more time to pick with both of you. Save some time next year............

A side note to all: Wayne and I went to the Benton, PA, bluegrass festival (O.A.T.S.--"Out Among The Stars") on Friday (it's about one and three quarters hour's drive from State College). We saw Bobby Clark with the Williams and Clark Expedition there. Wowee. Do you think we can get Bobby Clark to join the mandolin faculty at SKAK some year?

Celia

Five of us ... formed a band on the Cafe over the previous months (The Wocky Horror Picker Show), and then played at Isaac's Wednesday night.
    Did they wind up opening Isaac's for week 2? I really missed it during week 1.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Did they wind up opening Isaac's for week 2? I really missed it during week 1.
    Isaac's wasn't open. The downstairs lobby was used as a small open mike venue after the concerts each night.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

nice meeting all of you! had a great time. some fantastic pickers you guys are

That you Luke?
    Great to see you at KK. Keep practicing and you may be sitting beside Sam Bush by the time you're 20. (Just don't mess with pickloser's head by deedling. )
    Phil

hahahahahahahahahha(that was to both of your comments) yes this is luke

Blog Entries

Yeah, Luke--what Phil said. I'm sorry I gave you a hard time about the deedling. I enjoyed being in the same classes with you (after that first one). I think we must have similar tastes in mando playing, since we were in the same two master classes. It doesn't get better than Don Stiernberg and John Reischman. You're a smokin' player now. I can't wait to hear the monster you're going to be.
    Laura

thanks for the compliments! you guys are all great players

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well I had a great time at SKAK this year. OK here's a question. Why is there not a Kaufman Kamp group here on Mandolin Cafe. Youz guyz seem to all be old friends. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Hi Usuallypickin (didn't catch the name).

Glad you had fun at KK. Some of us have hung around together for a couple years and have fun getting together in prep for Kamp. We all love to expand the group. If I didn't meet you personally, I'm sorry; my loss.

As for the idea of a KK Group here on the Cafe, I hadn't really thought of it. I'm not sure it would serve much purpose most of the year (except maybe to complain about the food ). I guess we try to squeeze everything into one thread every year.

If you ever get down to NC from Ky, let us know. Since there are several of us nearby, we could get up a jam.
    Phil

except maybe to complain about the food

I thought it was pretty good this year. At least, compared to two years ago when it(Kamp food) really bottomed out! And the ice cream machine chugged along nicely, each day. That, and decent pizza(again, compared to years past), assured that I gained no less than 7 lbs! Gah...

So, Luke got a fellow-student-applied deedle dot, did he? <lol> We all get 'em, sooner or later. I had to tell one fella to quit deedling, in my group last year, and I'm sure at other times, I mindlessly deedled, too. We had a pretty deedle-free group(group 2) this year!

It wasn't 'til Friday that I realized I hadn't been to Carnegie at night, all week! And by the time I thought about it, I was knee deep in a good jam, on bass as I was most late nights. Next year, I'll stary further from Beeson...

Blog Entries

Let's see..."usually pickin'"...Paducah, Ky....why it MUST be Richard!--a triple talent on the mando, guitar, and fiddle. And oh, what a fun guy. Of course, if it's not you then oh, I'm embarassed.

I surely do hope to see you again next year.
    Laura

Yeah, Mario. You're actually right. The food wasn't so bad. At least I did my share to make it disappear. Especially the desserts!

Sorry you didn't make it to Carnegie. We had a bunch of jams going there all week. Next time for sure!

See you guys later.
    Phil

Having been raised, in the '50s, on what was almost "health food," I just *love* those SKAK biscuits, ham, and sausage! New and forbidden stuff for me! Funny thing is, I usually *lose* a couple of pounds at KK! What's with that?!? All the walking around campus? Jamming excitement? The fact that I'm not sitting at a desk all day? So much for the stringent diet I maintain at home.

Picklosr, we've GOTTA do more of that stairwell singing next year. That was downright electrifying! And speaking of electrifying, I'm loving my new Blue Chip pick. It does have an almost electric effect when it hits the mandolin strings. No BS--I think these are amazing picks.

Celia
    Audey Ratliff R-5
    Larry Muth F-5
    Old Wave (Bill Bussmann) Oval-A

Blog Entries

Oh yes, yes. I would love to do more stairwell singing with you, Mandobike! I wish we'd had more time for that this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think our voices go really well together in an almost "family harmony" kind of way.

I got one of those BC picks too. So far, it's still with me. We'll see how long that lasts. After Bucket O'Guts loaned me one at Kamp, I kept misplacing it (pickmisplacer just doesn't have the same ring), and three different times I had resigned myself to buying him a new one, before finding it in some odd place or other. I like it a lot, especially on guitar. I'm still going to the MF150 Wegen and the JazzMando Pro-Plec quite a bit tho on the mando.

Hey to Wayne!

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    Oh yes, yes. I would love to do more stairwell singing with you, Mandobike! I wish we'd had more time for that this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think our voices go really well together in an almost "family harmony" kind of way.

I got one of those BC picks too. So far, it's still with me. We'll see how long that lasts. After Bucket O'Guts loaned me one at Kamp, I kept misplacing it (pickmisplacer just doesn't have the same ring), and three different times I had resigned myself to buying him a new one, before finding it in some odd place or other. I like it a lot, especially on guitar. I'm still going to the MF150 Wegen and the JazzMando Pro-Plec quite a bit tho on the mando.

Hey to Wayne!

What!!?? You lost my Bluechip that week! You should have had it's picture on a milk carton. That's my favorite pick! Well I did get it back, though. The camp pizza is always a sure thing. And the ice cream machine worked because there was a lot less little rug-rats hanging on the levers this year. I have the video of the Isaacs performance video cammed, thanks to good guy and happy camper-Wayne. If everyone agrees, I'd like to Youtube it. Hope to sue you all next year. I mean see you all next year. Or Merlefest next April.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"