Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Other Songs Converted to Bluegrass

Default Re: Other Songs Converted to Bluegrass

Thanks dan, I've just ordered a copy, found it on a small seller's site, cost an arm and a leg so I hope the rest of the tunes are as good as that one. It's a double cd too.

I'm a new mandolin player, coming from a Canadian perspective... the first BG album I ever loved was J.D. Crowe & the New South... the one with "Old Home Place" on it. There were a couple of Gord Lightfoot songs on it... "10 Degrees & Gettin' Colder" was one. I'm using an unfamiliar laptop so I can't research on the fly, but there was one other. Viewing You-tube, I get the impression that it was Tony Rice who liked those Gordy songs. He's done more than a few Lightfoot covers... anyway, here's a few more Canadian artists & songs that I think are worthy of being covered... (whether or not they are BG is irrelevant... I think they are mando-worthy)

Valdy/Diamond Joe White: Let Go of Me
    Murray McLaughlin: On the Boulevard, Honky Red, Farmer's Song,
    Sweeping the Spotlight Away, Down by the Old
    Henry Moore.
    Fred Eaglesmith: Sweaburg General Store, I Like Trains, He's A Good Dog,
    30 Years of Farming (written by an American, again, I
    can't do research on the fly right now)
    Sarah Harmer: A lot of songs from the "I'm A Mountain" and some from
    earlier releases.

I know I'm missing a lot here, perhaps some of my countrymen can fill in some gaps?

Norm

Back in my Knoxville Grass days I spent hours going through older pop and country records playing 33's on 45 and 78 and such. That is how we came up with numerous songs that had not been done before. Darby's Castle-KK, Long Gone-Neil Diamond, Can't Stop Now-Reba(yes) and many others
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com