Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Ha! Thanks - I was afraid it might just be me and my tastes. I felt like dredging up the "Mandolin Abuse" thread (or whatever I called it), but it was drowned out by the banjo and fiddle so I can't tell how badly it was treated.

PS: "Worst (Mis)Use Of A Mandolin." Perhaps its time has come ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Trampled by Turtles - Ugh!

Looks like they are still in shock over the incident with the turtle...

Blog Entries

Tonight on SNL: The vivacious and naturally talented Jennifer Lawrence hosts, fresh off her Golden Globe win for best actress. Oh yeah, musical guest - The Lumineers.

And for non-MC musical offerings - Norah Jones on ACL. A good Saturday night to not have a gig.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Some definite MC this week, plus, as usual, some hopefully interesting other stuff.

1/21
    Kimmel: Brad Paisley (repeat from 1/9) - yes, mandolin in the band, over by the gospel choir. Tune in early for the interview, which includes a hilarious pre-taped bit
    1/22
    O'Brien: The Lone Bellow (not sure what their deal is, but a friend recommends them)
    Leno: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite (just nice to see the great blues harp player out and about)
    1/24
    Leno: Kenny Loggins and Blue Sky Riders (no idea about MC, but with that band name, could be)
    1/25
    Leno: The Grascals (defnite MC)
    Fallon: Eli Young Band (repeat from 1/11) - forget if there was a mandolin

BTW, about SNL: I forgot there was a connection between Jennifer Lawrence and The Lumineers. Their song, "Ho Hey" - the first one they did Saturday, the one that included mandolin - is featured in her movie, "Silver Lining Playbook." So yes, there are mandolins in Hollywood.

Blog Entries

Yes - there is a mandolin in The Lone Bellow. The videos I've seen show them to be a little more of the strum-and-sing type of band than I usually like, but they sound OK. And it's always nice to see a mandolin on the tube. (I know she's just singing on the second one; I just like the song.) That's tonight on Conan.

Blog Entries

Been a while. Bit of not much going on in this area, along with bands known for using mandolin showing up without one and vice versa, plus being a bit busy in real life - that is, my OWN mandolin appearances, on this side of the camera. Anyway, still not a lot, but something of a must-see coming right up:

2/25
    Letterman: Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell (I mean, really! They have a new album out. Mandolin or not, a must-see)
    Leno: Robert Randolph and The Slide Brothers (OK, no MC, but RR really rips pedal steel)
    Kimmel: Ryan Bingham (probably no MC, but he's pretty cool)
    2/26
    Tavis Smiley: Taj Mahal (Oh, The stories he could tell! PBS, so check your listings)
    Daly: Family of the Year (They throw everything into the mix, so maybe MC)
    2/27
    Good Morning America: Lady Antebellum (sometimes MC)
    3/1
    DeGeneres: Bonnie Raitt (no MC, but a must-see)
    Letterman: Sound City Players with Dave Grohl and Stevie Nicks (repeat from 2/12; fascinating project based on reviving a great old recording studio)

And also on PBS: This season of American Masters kicks off with "Sister Rosetta Tharpe: The Godmother of Rock & Roll." If you think you know all about where rock 'n' roll came from and you don't know about her, guess again. Her guitar sound was an essential element, and the way she integrated gospel into a secular art form was a crucial development. Another must-see. Check your local listings.

Tomorrow night, 2/26, Jimmy Kimmel. Musical guest is Churchill, a band out of Denver, playing a mandolin I built!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Don't mean to go off thread, but this weekend I saw the chick flick "Safe Haven" with my girlfriend. At the end of the movie in the town 4th of July celebration scene, a country/americana band is playing and the camera pans and does a nice closeup of the mando player, and a close shot on his F5 style mando. Of course I immeadiately pointed it out to my girlfriend who just smiled...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Good to hear that. Not just that a mandolinist has a girlfriend who tolerates not only his instrument but also his attitude about "chick flicks," but that mandolin has shown up in another movie. Just so you know, I also created this thread for that kind of information - FWIW, of course. I've seen the ads for "Safe Haven," looks nice, waiting for it to come around. Anyway ...

10. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

I know, huh? A pleasant surprise! Between them and The Lumineers, suddenly bands from Colorado with mandolins in the lineup are making a bit of a splash. I am this close to starting a thread about this ...

Blog Entries

Hold the presses! This just in: PBS is running a tribute concert to Levon Helm called "Love For Levon."

A concert honoring Levon Helm's life and music features performances by Warren Haynes, Gregg Allman, Dierks Bentley, Mavis Staples, John Hiatt, David Bromberg, Joan Osborne, Joe Walsh, Rogers Waters, My Morning Jacket and Amy Helm.

Bound to be some mandolin in there, by Amy and/or others, but more importantly, some great music from some great musicians. Apparently we have just slid into yet another fundraising campaign month here, and we are only getting this once, tonight, but I am so glad I happened to see that.

14. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Hold the presses! This just in: PBS is running a tribute concert to Levon Helm called "Love For Levon."

A concert honoring Levon Helm's life and music features performances by Warren Haynes, Gregg Allman, Dierks Bentley, Mavis Staples, John Hiatt, David Bromberg, Joan Osborne, Joe Walsh, Rogers Waters, My Morning Jacket and Amy Helm.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_for_Levon

Track 3 features one of my favorite mandolin players. Thanks for the heads up, JB.

How did I not know about this already? (I ask)
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Blog Entries

I don't know. I don't know how I missed it when it first ran in December. I'm just glad I was checking the listings for PBS last night, as I'd seen they were running a concert by The Who - "Live in Texas 1975" - and this was right after that. Both great shows. They really butchered the The Who one though - a two hour concert trimmed to 38 minutes to fit into a one hour time slot with fundraising pitches. They left A LOT out. "Love For Levon" was edited, too, of course, but much less drastically. So it goes with PBS ...

Blog Entries

Sorry, folks, a little late on this. Maybe you tuned in to Letterman last night, anyway. If you did, you saw the guy from The Band Perry playing an electric resonator mandolin. Finally up in the mix, and good to see something that on TV. And good to see Dave is finally getting to recognize a mandolin when he sees one, even one as unusual as this one. I mention this because they will be on Ellen next week, and hopefully he will be using this again then.

4/1
    Letterman: The Band Perry
    4/2
    Daly: Tift Merritt (probably no MC, but she sure can sing)
    4/3
    Conan: Darius Rucker (often has a mandolin in the band)
    Leno: Gloriana (what's-her-name hasn't been replaced, but there might be a mandolin in the band)
    Fallon: Gordon Lightfoot (a little while back several members were going on about his voice; here he is on TV for the first time in who knows how long)

4/7
    8 PM CBS: ACM Awards (definite MC, though how much and when and by whom is anyone's guess)
    4/8
    Tavis Smiley: Stephen Stills (oh, the stories he could tell)
    4/10
    DeGeneres: Kacey Musgraves (critics' darling of neo-traditionalist music; BC, maybe MC)
    4/11
    DeGeneres: The Band Perry (see above)
    Last edited by journeybear; Apr-02-2013 at 10:07am.

4/2/13/3:30pm - RFDTV: Jim Ed Brown's Country Place featuring 30 minutes of Bill Monroe performances.

Blog Entries

Steve Earle on Letterman tonight. You never know ...

Also ...

4/22
    Conan: ZZ Ward no MC, but she has fans here; repeat from 1/10)
    4/23
    Letterman: Steve Martin and Edie Brickell (no idea what to expect)
    4/24
    Today: Steve Martin and Edie Brickell (see above)
    4/26
    Fallon: Iron & Wine (probably no MC, but possible)
    Daly: ZZ Ward (see above)

Old Crow Medicine Show on Conan tonight.

21. The following members say thank you to Zeke Chandler for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, indeed. Couldn't hear much of the mandolin. And they had two banjos, in case one wasn't too many. Really not doing a whole lot for the mandolin community there. Also, The Band Perry were on Leno. Mandolin player was playing a mandocello or OM, and couldn't hear that either. Both appearances a bit disappointing re MC, but OCMS didn't sound half bad. Can't say the same for TBP, who did. Never too wild about them but I liked them more when they were starting out and trying to make their mark. Now that they've gotten some recognition and awards, they've gotten pretty schlocky. Eh. So it goes ...

For the rest of the week:

4/30
    GMA: Kenny Chesney (you never know)
    Fallon: Kenny Chesney
    5/1
    The Talk: The Band Perry (see above)
    5/3
    Couric: Tim McGraw, Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean (there almost has to be a mandolin in there)
    Letterman: Kacey Musgraves
    Fallon: John Densmore (OK, no MC, but I'm curious to hear what The Doors' drummer has on his mind)

Blog Entries

Like I said, "GMA: Kenny Chesney (you never know)." Kenny's done with the chat. including birthday shout-out to Willie Nelson on his 80th (!), and it's time to play. Next shot is a close-up of an F-style mandolin. And throughout the song, the main repeated riff is done on mandolin, sometimes backed up by electric guitar, but always audible. Maybe not the best example of mandolin playing, but prominently featured - and that's nice. Song is "Pirate Flag," from the new album. Entirely possible this will be what he does on Fallon tonight. You never know!

Blog Entries

Of Monsters And Men are (is?) the musical guest on SNL tonight. If I recall correctly, there is a mandolinist in the band. And yes, the corollary premise is that if I do not recall correctly, there isn't a mandolinist in the band. That said, there is a mandolinist in this band, and I've got a band meeting to get to, so y'all are on your own to ascertain the veracity of this information. Or you can just tune in.

Blog Entries

Sorry, no such luck. Pleasant enough, but no mandolin. I have no idea with whom I confused them, perhaps the Lumineers. Oh well.

Blog Entries

Some definite mandolin appearances and some reasonably good prospects this week. Plus a few other interesting tidbits, as always. It looks like Pistol Annies, Lady Antebellum, and Natalie Maines have new albums out, as they're showing up a lot. It's no sure thing either will have mandolin, but the possibility exists. Same with the other country artists. And since Steve and Edie are backed up by The Steep Canyon Rangers, there will be mandolin.

5/6
    GMA: Natalie Maines with Ben Harper
    Kimmel: Rod Stewart
    Fallon: Steve Martin and Edie Brickell
    5/7
    Today: Pistol Annies
    GMA: Lady Antebellum
    DeGeneres: Lady Antebellum
    Letterman: Pistol Annies; Todd Rundgren sitting in with the band
    Fallon: The Breeders (everybody comes back, at some point)
    5/8
    View: Pistol Annies
    Letterman: Natalie Maines
    Fallon: Lady Antebellum
    5/9
    Fallon: Lady Antebellum
    5/10
    Ripa: Rod Stewart
    Smiley: John Densmore (The Doors' drummer has a book out)
    Couric: Rod Stewart
    Letterman: She & Him

5/13
    Leno: Pistol Annies
    5/14
    DeGeneres: Natalie Maines
    Ferguson: Pistol Annies
    5/15
    Today: Trace Adkins
    Letterman: Brad Paisley
    5/16
    Today: Pistol Annies

Anybody else see the Goo Goo Dolls mandolin part on Jimmy Kimmel tonight? It was quintessential "I only need to know three notes on this thing"... he literally didn't even put down his telecaster to play it.

Blog Entries

I sure didn't, until you pointed it out! Then again, I wasn't paying close attention. But yep, about 2:20 in, during the breakdown part, the guy, who had had it slung under his arm, brings it out to play a dinky little riff, while the backup rhythm guitarist doubles the riff on an electric piano. Glad I tape as much of this stuff as I can; I never know what is going to come up in conversation, and it's nice to be able to refer to the archives. This video isn't synched.

Well, three notes was all he needed for this. And slinging it uner his arm was definitely the way to go. It wasn't worth buying one of those standing-up instrument stands (what ARE they called?) just for this.