Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Thumbs up Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

I've recently discovered FamNet on ATT U-Verse (believe it's RFD-TV on other packages) and have found some truly wonderful stuff on this channel: The Marty Stuart show, a show called Cumberland Gap Highlands, and Reno's Old-Time Music. I've never seen anything like this stuff on television. Some of it isn't the best quality, editing-wise, etc. (though the Marty Stuart show is top shelf in all aspects), but the Cumberland Gap show is like being at a festival. I watched one last night from 2006 where they were near the boyhood home of Bill Monroe, playing songs in his honor. Check out these programs if you've not done so already.

2. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Whoa! Check this offering on PBS. If there aren't any mandolins I'll eat my Mandolin Café hat!

Elderly Instruments: All Things Strings

Behind the scenes at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Mich., includes workshops with guest musicians and the office of co-founder/owner Stan Werbin.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

4. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

Sure enough, about :44 in we get to go into the vault and check out an F-5. No mention of whether it's a Lloyd Loar, but with a price tag of $250,000 that's a safe bet. It's in really nice shape, and even though the host wasn't too adept when he demo'd it, it clearly has good tone. There's other stuff, too, of course.

Also tonight on Conan: Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, presumably with The Steep Canyon Rangers.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

6. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

American Idol tonight played, as background music, Churchill's "Change" which features a mandolin... built by me... .

That is awesome!!!!
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

From her facebook post....

Sarah Jarosz
    Exciting news! I'll be performing with Alex Hargreaves and Nathaniel Smith on the Conan O'Brien show on TBS this coming Tuesday, January 21st! I'm beyond thrilled! Check your local listings for details about air times. In related news, the show at Largo at the Coronet next Wednesday the 22nd is sold out! Looking forward to what is sure to be a great week in Los Angeles leading up to The GRAMMYs!!

Blog Entries

Tonight - Nickel Creek on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, tonight. Did I mention that's tonight?

'Nuff said!

Blog Entries

If my intel is correct, Trampled By Turtles is a jam band that includes mandolin. They're on Letterman tonight.

12. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I don't know if they are a jam band or not, I can't really say because I have never seen them live.They do have a mandolin player, and the come out of Duluth, MN. I am not a big fan of them; however, they have a couple of songs that I enjoy. They remind me of Mumford & Sons type band. That is just my personal opinion, so if there are any TbT or M&S fans out there that are outraged by my opinion you can keep your snide comments to yourself. Woah did I just flex on someone? Sorry I just know how people get butt hurt if you say something about a band they really dig and they don't agree with what you're saying.
    Kentucky KM-150
    Collings MT

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    I don't know if they are a jam band or not, I can't really say because I have never seen them live.They do have a mandolin player, and the come out of Duluth, MN. I am not a big fan of them; however, they have a couple of songs that I enjoy. They remind me of Mumford & Sons type band. That is just my personal opinion, so if there are any TbT or M&S fans out there that are outraged by my opinion you can keep your snide comments to yourself. Woah did I just flex on someone? Sorry I just know how people get butt hurt if you say something about a band they really dig and they don't agree with what you're saying.
    Classy, to diss a band and then preemptively insult the people who don't agree with your worthless opinion.

. . . Woah did I just flex on someone?
    Evidently Newspeak for "hurt someone's feelings."

BTW you could look up "whoa" in the dictionary. You almost got it right.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Riiiight. I never "dissed" any band at any point in my post, nor did I insult any person with my "worthless" opinion. I simply stated that I wasn't a fan of Trampled by Turtles and that they have a similar sound to Mumford and Sons (again in my opinion). I have been in many conversations where I have compared a band's sound to another band and people around me have gotten fairly upset over my comments. So, yes I made a preemptive comment to get people to keep their negative comments to themselves....obviously it did not work. I am not in immature kid in high school, so please don't expect me to have an epic forum post battle with you in order to see who has the biggest "stick". If I did offend anyone I do apologize it was not my intention.
    Kentucky KM-150
    Collings MT

He's right, you know.
    Me, I think that that band is pretty bland and uninteresting.

Blog Entries

As I said, "if my intel is correct," which it was to some extent (75%, by my reckoning), but not entirely. I recalled them being mentioned here from time to time, and I thought it was in the context of jam bands, or perhaps they had played at some festivals of the sort, Bonnaroo, maybe. I don't remember. And that's about the level of my interest, too, judging by last night's performance. OK, but nothing too special.

Anyway, I try to use this thread just for notices of upcoming appearances. Reviews are another matter.

I am not a big fan of them; however, they have a couple of songs that I enjoy. They remind me of Mumford & Sons type band.
    The words above were the only words written re MSGrady's opinion of TGTs.

Calling those words a "diss of a band" then going on to label that opinion as "worthless" says quite a bit about someone...not necessarily MSGrady.

20. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Blog Entries

Post invalidated due to its number being the number of the beast ...

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Post invalidated due to its number being the number of the beast ...

??

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    The words above were the only words written re MSGrady's opinion of TGTs.

Calling those words a "diss of a band" then going on to label that opinion as "worthless" says quite a bit about someone...not necessarily MSGrady.
    Y'know, I started to respond to his original post before I even finished reading it, because I think Trampled By Turtles is a pretty good band, albeit more like singer-songwritery indie rock than happens to be on bluegrass instruments, but then I read the rest of it where he decided he was 'flexing' on people and that anybody with a contrary opinion is 'butthurt', and I couldn't be bothered. I do, indeed, think the opinion of anybody who expresses themselves like that is worthless. Have a great night!

Blog Entries

His post did seem unnecessarily argumentative.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    ??
    It was a devilish post written with a devil-may-care attitude. Ah, but the devil's in the details, because an idle mind is the devil's playground. Just a bit of deviltry. Hmmm ... perhaps those deviled eggs and devil's food cake I had for a snack are causing a bit of indigestion.

Blog Entries

Austin City Limits 40th season kicks off tonight with Beck. I don't claim to be a big fan, but I like most everything I've heard from him. And his current album is very acoustic-oriented, and includes mandolin. From the website:

This weekend, Beck kicks off Austin City Limits’ celebratory season 40 with an epic, career-spanning full-hour performance. One of the most creative artists of his generation, Beck shines in an exceptionally entertaining hour, showcasing a mix of vintage fan favorites and more recent gems. Promoting his mightily acclaimed LP Morning Phase, Beck and his crack band of longtime friends and collaborators shift from quiet contemplation to rousing party jams with chameleonic skill and unabashed enthusiasm. The L.A. native goes into troubadour mode for the beautiful, emotional “Blue Moon,” “Waking Light” and “Let It Go,” showcasing his depth as a songwriter. But he also blows the doors off with the dynamic, houseshaking hits “Loser” and an epic blast through his anthem “Where It’s At.”

EPISODE SET LIST
    Black Tambourine
    I Think I'm in Love
    Don't Let It Go
    Lost Cause
    Blue Moon
    Dead Melodies
    Say Goodbye
    Waking Light
    Loser
    Girl
    E-Pro
    Where It's At/One Foot in the Grave

BAND CREDITS
    Beck Hansen - vocals, guitar, harmonica
    Smokey Hormel - guitar, mandolin, vocals
    Roger Manning Jr. - keyboards, banjo, vocals
    Justin Meldal-Johnson - bass, vocals
    Gus Seyffert - guitar, keyboards, vocals
    Joey Waronker - drums

The season is still being put together, but here are the first five shows' lineups:

Beck
    Ed Sheeran / Valerie June
    Nine Inch Nails
    Tweedy
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nickel Creek shot an episode in August or so, so there were certainly be mando content when that airs.

Blog Entries

This is a bit unusual - a notice about a mandolinist rather than mandolin(s). An interview of Marty Stuart on the Tavis Smiley Show will be broadcast Tuesday or Wednesday. depending on your local PBS station's scheduling. As always, check your local listings for airtime and availability. These vary widely; indeed, this is why I can't say for certain when it will air. For example, my station airs episodes at 6:30 AM Wednesday, with a repeat at 4:30 AM Thursday. This sort of inconvenience is one reason I have a VCR. Be advised: He is the guest in the second half of the episode, and probably won't get any playing time as a result. But you have to tune in to find out.

Was watching Austin City Limits last night - Los Lobos ( a charango?) - and Thao and The Get Down Stay Down ( mandolin, banjo). Los Lobos were meh... Thao was refreshing, totally off the wall. The front girl played guitar, lap, mandolin (Eastman 315), and a banjo... Very different... I liked them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Was watching Austin City Limits last night - Los Lobos ( a charango?) - and Thao and The Get Down Stay Down ( mandolin, banjo). Los Lobos were meh... Thao was refreshing, totally off the wall. The front girl played guitar, lap, mandolin (Eastman 315), and a banjo... Very different... I liked them.
    Yes, I saw that, too. I was liking them, sort of avant-garde folk, until she brought out the mandolin. She seemed to have a problem doing whatever she was trying to do there, as if she wanted a certain sound but couldn't produce it. Same with the banjo. I dunno. I was thinking of posting this to the Worst (Mis)Use thread, but it wasn't all that bad (I think), just kind of clumsy.

My PBS station has been following ACL with a show called "Front And Center." taped at The Iridum in NYC. Last night they had Goo Goo Dolls in the season finale, and 2/3 of the way through one of the guitarists pulled out a mandolin for a quiet intro. Did all right with it.

Blog Entries

Uk based mandolinist 'Hippy Joe' will be playing with his band Hayseed Dixie on Jools Holland's Hootenanny BBC 2, 31st Dec 23:20-
    Not sure where they are scheduled but will update once known (I've heard it's just after midnight GMT)

For those who don't know him 'Hippy' Joe Hymas has lived the mandolin and spent years studying the playing of Bill Monroe in minutely obsessive detail. He can be a performer of great subtlety and grace, but boy he's prepared to go way out there into the 'no-part of nuthinsphere' too. When with Hayseed Dixie it's going to be well out there.

Here's a pick of them in their sunday best
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	128201
    Last edited by Beanzy; Dec-30-2014 at 7:56am.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin