Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 32425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    boy he's prepared to go way out there into the 'no-part of nuthinsphere' too.
    This will appear in the Oxford English Dictionary as the first use of what will become a common household phrase.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Just a bit of clarification is in order. Hippy Joe has been with the band for barely a year, so calling it "his band" is a bit of a stretch, considering it has had 14 members in is 14 years of existence. But yes, that is the usual term, rather than the accurate but awkward "the band that he's playing in." As the wiki puts it,

"Former mainstay members, Dale Reno and Don Wayne Reno, left Hayseed Dixie at the end of 2013 to form a traditional bluegrass group called Reno and Harrell; which released an album called "Reno Bound" in September 2013. Joining Hayseed Dixie in January 2014 in the roles of banjo and mandolin were Johnny Butten, holder of the Guinness Book of World Records title for "Fastest Banjo Player," and Hippy Joe Hymas."

The implication that this is a British band made my eyes twitch a bit. I know that ain't whatcha said thar, but that's the way them thar words mighta made some'un think. They're based in Nashville. Love 'em, by the way. My old band based our version of "Walk This Way on theirs, though I did return the lead part somewhat to its Aerosmith glory, on the electric with wah-wah. Fun stuff!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I can see what you mean journeybear, I'd not thought of it like that.
    I suppose I figured they were so well known people wouldn't need to be told.
    I'm chuffed they went for someone from over this side of the pond & hadn't even twigged Johnny Butten had joined until a few weeks back.
    It's a real recognition of their dedication and enthusiasm for their instruments and american musical culture.

By the way, the dungarees with no shirt and no shoes is how he dresses all the time.
    I think he only wore a suit once and that was as a joke when he played with the Morris Brothers who always dress smart but made an exception for him.
    As soon as Dave said they'd make an exception he wore the suit to the next gig and nearly gave everyone a heart attack.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

I'm probably just a tetch sensitive to the term because I once got raked over the coals by a band mate for using it - clearly he thought it was his band. It was a trio and it was our band, and since I was in it, it was also my band. He changed the name of the band to Joe Blow And The Way It Goes (so there!) - not exactly, as names have been changed to protect the guilty. My argument was that it is a colloquialism, an offhand, possibly lazy but not intentionally deceptive locution. It's what you'd say to someone who asked what you were doing or where or with whom you were playing. As in, "Well, I'm playing at Hole In The Wall" Friday nights with my band" or "My band got offered to play at Carnegie Hall but we had to turn it down because it was on the same night we play at the local coffeehouse for pass-the-hat." Apart from that, it ain't no part of nothin'. Just made my twang-o-meter ping when I saw it, is all. No worries!

I'm a bit surprised they got members whut ain't Amuricans in it!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Here's a pick of them in their sunday best
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	128201
    Looks like two of 'em raided Mike Compton's closet.

Hey JB--

Interesting point on the "my band" thing. I'd say any member in it could casually call it "my band" unless they were talking- like to an accountant- about actual ownership.

I mean when I sing My Country Tis Of Thee, I don't mean to imply that I own it.

I bet you were happy to get away from that guys ego.

This day and age it doesn't surprise me to see someone from any nationality play anything. There are probably more Americans playing Irish music here than in Ireland and probably more Americans playing reggae here than "Islanders" in the Caribbean. Mike Marshall is well known for his Brazilian stuff. One of my music friends I play with is from Israel and his specialty is Flamenco and Spanish classical. Of course we do tease him about that. Get lots of milage out of it too.

It does make me grin a little to see all the uTube clips of Japanese guys playing electric guitar and singing covers of The Blues aka BB King style. I mean they dont speak any English and then launch into the songs in English. Some are quite good but it does make me chuckle a bit for some reason.

Sorry- way off topic.
    Last edited by Astro; Dec-30-2014 at 2:57pm.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Nickel Creek ACL is coming Jan 3rd.

http://acltv.com/episode/season-40/t...-nickel-creek/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jefflester For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I bet you were happy to get away from that guys ego.
    I miss the band. Don't miss the bullsh*t.

Sorry- way off topic.
    Welcome to the Café! Wait a minute - you've been here a while. You know how it goes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Nickel Creek ACL is coming Jan 3rd.

http://acltv.com/episode/season-40/t...-nickel-creek/
    Just wanted to bump this up, in case it hasn't played in your area yet. Also, look for a program on PBS called "Bluegrass Underground." It's a half hour show taped in a cave. I swear. Some big cavern in Tennessee, with a stage and 300+ seats and PA and lights and everything. Got Steep Canyon Rangers on right now. Whodathunkit?

Blog Entries

A little bit more about Bluegrass Underground. Shows are taped in The Volcano Room, a natural amphitheater 333 feet (100 meters) underground in Cumberland Cave, McMinnville TN, where it is a constant 56° F. The website is pretty unresponsive to my laptop, and it seems to be not forthcoming with its broadcast schedule, but here is the schedule for the performances taped during a weekend last March for the shows which are now being broadcast by one of my local PBS stations. I think you'll recognize some of these names. The shows are being broadcast in a different sequence. As I mentioned, last week it was The Steep Canyon Rangers. This week it's Dave Eggar with Amy Lee and Hammerstep, and next week it's Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit. As always with PBS, check your local listings. This show is apparently particularly unpredictable.

The full taping schedule for Bluegrass Underground - Season 4:

Friday, March 7
    Steep Canyon Rangers
    Michael Martin Murphey
    Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
    Davina & The Vagabonds

Saturday, March 8
    Lucinda Williams
    Chip Taylor
    Shovels & Rope
    Dave Eggar with Amy Lee and Hammerstep

Sunday, March 9
    David Grisman Folk/Jazz Trio
    Keller Williams with the Traveling McCourys
    The Gibson Brothers
    Hayes Carll

Blog Entries

All right. Did a little poking around, did an end run, and this is what my possibly iffy intel tells me for the broadcast order. I missed Widespread Panic (acoustic show), which was taped separately. I'll send up flags again for weeks 5 & 6, the meat of the program.

Widespread Panic
    Steep Canyon Rangers
    Dave Eggar with Amy Lee; Hammerstep
    Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit
    David Grisman Folk/Jazz Trio
    Lucinda Williams
    The Gibson Brothers
    Davina & the Vagabonds
    Keller Williams with The Travelin' McCourys
    Shovels & Rope
    Hayes Carll
    Michael Martin Murphey
    Chip Taylor

Blog Entries

If your PBS station carries a show called "Front And Center," look for the episode starring John Hiatt. His lead player, Doug Lancio, plays mandolin on a few songs in the middle of the program, most notably on "Cry Love." He really drives the song with it, some of the strongest mandolin playing I've found on the tube in a while. Also, a heads-up - next week on "Bluegrass Underground," David Grisman.

Last edited by journeybear; Jan-18-2015 at 3:15am.

14. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

sgrexa 

Damn, nothing is listed in my Channel 9 guide in the St. Louis area through the end of February. They may throw it in during the upcoming pledge drive in March, during which they do not list most of the specials in their print guide, and those airings are sooo chopped up, and frequently not shown in their entirety. Poo. I'll have to see how often they update their online guide.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

Blog Entries

The Miami stations tend to bump the good shows during pledge periods - which show up more often than any other place I've lived, and last a whole month. I've learned to check in near the end of pledge times, as they start up again without warning, so it's easy go miss an episode. And sometimes something new will show up then, as "Bluegrass Underground" just did.

There are to clips from this episode on that website, and the show has a youtube channel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Also, a heads-up - next week on "Bluegrass Underground," David Grisman.
    Which is what this is - a heads-up. Tonight's the night: David Grisman FolkJazz Trio.

Also, tonight on "Front And Center," if you get it, Dierks Bentley is hosting a songwriters' episode. If he is still in his rootsy phase, there may well be some mandolin picking. ACL has Ryan Adams and Jenny Lewis. The first half may have some mandolin, doubt the second half will. But I really like Jenny's current album. It's pop with some soul mixed in, giving it the gravitas that was so prevalent in the genre during the 1960s. I miss that, and it's really good to hear it again.

Next week: Lucinda Williams

Blog Entries

Marty Stuart will be on Letterman tonight.

Regarding the previous post - Grisman was great, naturally, and so were the other guys: Jim Hurst on guitar and vocals, and his son Sam (introduced as "Samson Elijah Grisman") on bass and vocals. Great episode. Interesting that Dawg gave Jim the closing number, a blues, on which everyone got show their chops, rather than close with something featuring himself. A generous move.

The Dierks thing was five guys playing guitars, seated, not too exciting, and no MC. No MC on the ACL episode, but both Ryan Adams and Jenny Lewis turned in excellent performances. JL is really getting to me - maybe it's the songs on her current album; maybe it's the rainbow-and-stars visual theme, repeated through the stage setting, her clothes, even her guitar; maybe it's her voice; maybe it's that she is just so gosh-darned cute. Now, if she would just work mandolin into the act, I'd be over the moon.

Blog Entries

Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer are the musical guests on CBS This Morning this morning (Saturday). This airs 7 - 9 AM EST, and the music is saved for last, typically starting about 8:40 AM EST. Sometimes there's a bit of interview, but usually it's just what I call a feature - a bit of narration introducing the performer(s) over a few video clips and such - before the first song, then a commercial break, and a second song, which might get cut short by the final commercial break. Just so you know.

Blog Entries

Punch Brothers are on Conan tonight. 'Nuff said!

Well, maybe just one thing - in case you miss it, and you have On Demand, it'll be up for two weeks.

Blog Entries

There are a few things coming up this week:

2/17
    Fallon: Imagine Dragons (the main guest is everyone's favorite, Taylor Swift)
    2/18
    Conan: Kristian Bush (backed by Rebecca Lovell and Megan Lovell last time he was on)
    Letterman: Grizfolk (nothing to do with Grisman or mandolin, but caught my eye anyway)
    Kimmel: Rascal Flatts (they use mandolin occasionally)
    2/20
    Ellen: Imagine Dragons (they use mandolin occasionally)
    Kimmel: The Band Perry (repeat from 2/11)
    2/21
    CBS Saturday Morning: Lucinda Williams (probably no MC, but worth seeing; starts around 8:40 AM)

I know some people here can't stand TBP - I don't think they're all that bad, but they aren't all that good, either - so I'm posting a video, to save y'all the trouble of staying up for it. For once, Neil plays a few licks instead of just strumming, and it's a pretty nice electric resonator. You can probably miss this and still live a long and happy life.

Last edited by journeybear; Feb-16-2015 at 1:08pm.

Blog Entries

The Punch Brothers will be on CBS This Morning Saturday Sessions this morning (14 Mar 2015). Here is a tweet they posted about it last night.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Whew! Glad you posted this. I noticed it coming back mid-week, and thought it was too early to post, and then last night I got seriously sidetracked ... then this morning my laptop got derailed by an update that went on too long. Well, I hope people saw it, because they did a fine job, doing a couple of songs they hadn't done on previous TV appearances - "Boll Weevil" and "I Blow It Off." I always appreciate it when performers mix it up some in these spots, instead of pushing the new single for the umpteenth time.

24. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

I just watched a replay of "Boll Weevil" by the Punch Brothers on CBS This Morning Saturday Sessions. Really nice, and I think Chris Thile may be channeling a little Joe Cocker with his moves....
    AKA "golfunit"

26. The following members say thank you to John Garcia for this post:

Blog Entries

My local PBS stations have resumed regular programming. Suddenly I'm back in the thick of things. All of the following are coming up for me, starting at midnight:

Music Voyager
    Season 3 Episode 3: Nashville: Music City
    A tour of the Grand Ole Opry; Elizabeth Miller performs; Compass Records; Gruhn Guitars.

Bluegrass Underground: Shovels & Rope (Season 4 Episode 10)

Austin City Limits: Tim McGraw (from two years ago; might have been mandolin on a song or two)

Music City Roots: Live From the Loveless Cafe (Season 2 Episode 1)
    The Steep Canyon Rangers; modern folk band Joy Kills Sorrow; cellist Ben Sollee; Ashley Monroe; old-time bluegrass band The Westbound Rangers.

Blog Entries

After further research, I see that "Music Voyager" episode also includes The Grascals, Alison Brown Keb Mo, and Those Darlins. I assume from its half-hour length each artist will get one song, if that. Also, it's from 2012.

Marty Stuart performed this song on his show on RFD-TV. It repeats at 8 am Sunday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwvwvxAA4xk

30. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post: