Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456728 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

All right, this is a definte bona fide mandolin appearance. I know because I've seen it, got it on tape, etc.

Austin City Limits: Jakob Dylan; Carrie Rodriguez (First Aired: October 25, 2008)

As I recall, Carrie plays six songs, and her instrumentation is as follows: MandoBird, fiddle, guitar, just vocal, MandoBird, fiddle.

Check your local listings!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Well, back to slim pickin's, so to speak ...

7/14
    Letterman: Wilco with Feist (probably no MC, but bound to be interesting)
    7/15
    Letterman: Paul McCartney (you never know ...)
    7/18
    Austin City Limits: Lucinda Williams; Old Crow Medicine Show (repeat; forget whether there was any MC wit OCMS)

7/24
    3 PM EDT VH1 Classics BBC Crown Jewels: The Faces (no MC, but a lot of folks hereabouts remember The Faces fondly; here's a chance to see them in action)
    Tavis Smiley (PBS late night): Spinal Tap (repeat)

As always with PBS, check your local listings

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Even less going on this week. In fact, I don't see any mandolins on the horizon ...

7/21
    11 AM /11 PM EDT VH1 Classics BBC Crown Jewels: Cat Stevens (no MC) ... in his 70s heyday
    Letterman: The Flatlanders (for fans of roots rock; probably no MC)

7/24 3 PM EDT VH1 Classics BBC Crown Jewels: The Faces (no MC)
    For everyone who has expressed affection for The Faces, here's a chance to see them in action, back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Austin City Limits: Lucinda Williams; Old Crow Medicine Show (repeat; forget whether there was any MC with OCMS)
    There wasn't. In fact, fortheir last number, "Wagon Wheel," there were two banjos. Yikes!

Blog Entries

Just a gentle reminder:

7/24 3 PM EDT VH1 Classics BBC Crown Jewels: The Faces (no MC)
    For everyone who has expressed affection for The Faces, here's a chance to see them in action, back in the day

Later tonight:

Letterman: Judy Collins (surely no MC, just for nostalgia ...)
    Tavis Smiley, PBS: Spinal Tap - no way of knowing if it's all talk and no music, and if so, plugged or unplugged

And hopefully, next week, actual MC

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

And hopefully, next week, actual MC
    Hammer? Can't touch this!

Blog Entries

All right, as promised, hopefully actual MC on TV this week:

7/27
    Good Morning America: Pete Yorn
    Now I can't guarantee MC, but the last time he was on TV his keyboard played mandolin as well.
    Jimmy Fallon: Spinal Tap (you never know)
    Tavis Smiley: Joan Baez (for us old folkies)
    7/28
    The Daiy Show: Spinal Tap (you never know)
    7/30
    Today Show: Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal
    They just tore it up on Conan back in early June: expect more great stuff again
    7/31
    Jimmy Fallon: Jimmy Buffett (you never know)

Universal Disclaimer: I believe I mentioned when I started this thread that TV MC was pretty scarce ...

Pete Yorn on Good Morning America did have a mandolin with him. I was in the Toyota service department when they performed, and it was the exact moment the desk called. I tried to hang back to watch, but they paged me again. "Mr. Walker! Mr. Walker! Please come to the service desk. Your car is ready. Is he moving? Why aren't you moving? Is this thing working? Mr. Walker!"
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Blog Entries

Woe the luck! And this is the first time in 18 days (by my reckoning) that a mandolin has been played live on network TV. (Can't count Carrie Rodriguez on ACL; that was a repeat.) Wow. 2 1/2 weeks. That's sad. That was Levon Helm's daughter, Amy, backing up her dad on Letterman 7/9 - which will rerun next Monday. At least this time around the instrument was audible, and played pretty nicely - if mostly fills and textures. Too bad you missed it.

Blog Entries

So now I am trying to talk myself into getting my gear together, going down to the seaside hotel where The Today Show is broadcasting live, and do what I can to get on camera. It looks awfully crowded, flled with people attempting to do the same thing, and of course all you can see of them is the row of screaming people right up against the barricade and the signs that are being held up, which run the gamut from silly to stupid to self-serving. The broadcast is geared toward trotting out the same old tired clichés about the town, its customs and denizens, and whoever is calling the shots is probably not interesting in reporting on anything too new or true, unless it's also colorful.

It's gonna be tough, and likely frustrating and a waste of time. If I do get on screen, I'll be wearing a colorful Hawaiian shirt and Mandolin Café hat - of course!

Then again, this is way early for me to be up, and even after a double cuppa, the notion of going back to sleep is so inviting ...

Blog Entries

There is a two hour Great Performances show making the rounds now on PBS culled from Pete Seeger's 90th Birthday Celebration at Madison Square Garden with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, Richie Havens, Emmylou Harris, and John Mellencamp. It's showing here tonight, but check your local listings.

Also on PBS this week: 'Playing for Change: Peace Through Music'
    Musicians around the globe unite to bring peace to the world through music.

'Leonard Cohen Live in London,' a concert from 2008

And now, some actual mandolin content!

8/3
    8 PM ABC: 10 'Sugarland: Live on the Inside'
    Members of the country group Sugarland perform some of their biggest hits and share previously unseen performance footage.
    Sugarland will also be on Good Morning America, presumably to perform and promote this.
    Ellem DeGeneres: Amy Macdonald from 10/3/08
    She uses live sampling a la KT Tunstall. If you haven't seen this done, check it out. No MC, but really cool.
    David Letterman: Levon Helm, rerun from 7/9. You will see his daughter Amy play mandolin but it's buried in the mix. Still ...
    8/7
    David Letterman: Joaquin Phoenix
    I mention this because it is one oif the strangest talk show appearances I've ever seen. Wearing a beard and shades, nearly completely uncommunicative and incoherent when he does speak, Mr. P perks up a bit when he announces an incomprehensible (if this behavior is ant indication) career change into rap.

More good stuff next week, though no MC:

8/10
    Conan O'Brien: Lyle Lovett
    8/11
    David Letterman: Elvis Costello 6/4 (not with Mike Compton (no MC ; nice slide work, though)
    Craig Ferguson: Bonnie Raitt & Taj Mahal
    8/13
    David Letterman: Paul McCartney R
    A birthday treat for me. Sir Paul rocks NY from the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater

This isn't exactly advance notice, but you may see it on the schedule in your area. Right at this moment (10ish pm EST), I'm watching Levon Helms' "Ramble at the Ryman". Sam Bush is featured on a number of cuts, and Levon and Amy both play a lot of mando. So far it looks to be a killer show!
    Mitch Russell

Dish HD network has several stations which feature mandolin playing. Saturday nights on the RFD Channel #231 you can can catch the Marty Stuart Show which is mostly country, but he'll tear off a few hot breaks on mando occasionally. There are also reruns of the old Porter Wagoner shows, which could feature a mando. Also watch for reruns of the Vince Gill and Friends 2 hour special; it is superb. There are a couple of bluegrass songs in there with Vince on mando. And finally the bluegrass channels on XM/Sirius are just disk jox with no videos but lots of mando.

Blog Entries

Youse guys are making me wish I had a dish - something their commercials have been unable to accomplish. Dang it all!

Blog Entries

Hey! I've got that "Levon Helm - Ramble at the Ryman" coming up right here on PBS tonight! Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, y'all, special guests include John Hiatt, Sheryl Crow, Buddy Miller, and Sam Bush.
    Last edited by journeybear; Aug-04-2009 at 5:39pm.

Blog Entries

A day late with this week's listing ... hoping something mught turn up. No such luck. Best thing going is some Americana stuff and a primo rerun:

8/10
    Conan: Lyle Lovett
    8/11
    Craig Ferguson: Bonnie Raitt & Taj Mahal
    8/12
    Craig Ferguson: Holly Williams
    She's a bit more rootsy than a lot of other country singers, so there could be some mandolin.
    8/13
    Letterman: Paul McCartney, rerun from 7/15
    Sir Paul rocks NY from the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater with two songs. Also a great interview, and Top Ten List from Bruce Willis.

This is late but continues my post above. On 8/8 - on the RFD Channel (Dish 231)- Marty Stuart had the Del McCoury band on the show. Marty did his usual short solo, and he & Ronnie McCoury also did a tradeoff duet without any other backup, on "Bluegrass Breakdown". The cameraman was sadly unaware of the concept of keeping their hands clearly visible at all times.

Blog Entries

I do want to note that Lyle Lovett did indeed have a mandolin player on stage, though I couldn't hear it, as usual. I'd never known him to include one in his Large Band lineup, but I'm not too surprised. It was a very strange and supposedly humorous song about a farmer, "Choking My Chicken," in which he had his four backup vocalists making chicken noises.

Not precisely TV, but right now hulu has a live concert by Barenaked Ladies here which features keyboardist Kevin Hearn playing some mandolin, most notably on the song "For You" at 24:41 (I read somewhere that Skaggs called up the band after that song came out to compliment them on the nice sounding mando parts).
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Blog Entries

Just saw this:

'Natalie MacMaster: Bringing It Home'
    Natalie MacMaster and her five-piece band perform during the Celtic Colours International Festival in Nova Scotia.

It's on PBS, so you know - check your local listings (CYLL)

I do want to note that Lyle Lovett did indeed have a mandolin player on stage, though I couldn't hear it, as usual. I'd never known him to include one in his Large Band lineup, but I'm not too surprised.
    The one time I saw Lyle Lovett around 1999 or 2000 I believe it was his "large band" and I believe it included some dude named Sam Bush.

Bummer, Elvis Costello on Letterman and no Compton! Must be in Augusta.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

No specific MC, but I just caught the music producer behind the viral Playing For Change/ Stand By Me project on the Tavis Smiley show. No idea when that would air in the real world. It's 8PM Wednesday here, around 8AM in England, and around 1AM in the states right now. That video is awesome-- I'm looking forward to seeing some more of their stuff.

Blog Entries

Hey Lee - That video has been making the rounds here on PBS during pledge time - the documentary video about the project, which includes several songs, not the Tavis Smiley interview. It's a very cool project. I was disappointed when some of the musicians appeared on The Tonight Show 7/9, as it was racially and gender biased. That is, no whites or women got to be on mike. Very strange, not in keeping with the spirit of the project. Then again, there were surely logistical problems that kept some contributors from appearing ... but it seemed to me they should have been as inclusive as possible.

And Mike - that was a rerun from 6/4, and I knew Compton wasn't in it, so I didn't mention it. He was in EC's appearance on Conan 6/23, and if that comes around again I'll let y'all know.

Blog Entries

Just saw that CBS Sunday Morning (a delightful magazine style show, 9 - 10:30 AM EDT) will have a segment about Les Paul. No idea when exactly the segment will air, but if you tune in right at the start, after the liliting strains of their theme (played exquisitely by Wynton Marsalis) fade, the host will spend a few minutes running down the list of stories, which might give you a vague idea of its placement.

"Deathtroll"-- Metalocalypse episode.

They awaken a lake troll, and 2 members play the mandolin.
    its on Adult Swim again later around 4 am =S
    :B