Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Turns out that Music City Roots is a fine program. Set up like an old-time radio show (I think it actually is broadcast), there's radio host, a guest MC (in this case Jim Lauderdale) who kicks the show off with two songs, and then every performer follows his lead with two songs each, until they get to the headliner, who get three songs, followed by a closing song by everybody. This format allows for plenty of diversity. And as luck would have it, this week's episode had mandolin all over it, in 2/3 of the bands. I'll be posting notices about this show.

Not "Music Voyager." This was more of a travelogue than music feature, and performers were presented in interviews more than performances. There were snippets of artists playing bit mo whole songs. It was interesting to learn about some new artists, but the lack of complete performances left me fristrated.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

OK, good news, bad news.

Good news: Sarah Jarosz is going to be on TV tonight.
    Bad news: She is only one of five performers on a PBS show called "Music City Roots/ Loveless Cafe." (See previous post.)
    Bad news: This is probably carried by stations in just a few markets.
    Bad news: It may air at some awful time, as it does here, at 2 AM.
    Good news: Hey, it's Sarah Jarosz, and she's going to be on TV tonight.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Music City Roots is a fun show. They live stream the show each week and you can watch archives at musiccityroots.com
    They also post highlights on their Youtube channel.https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicCityRoots
    Here she is from 2013:https://youtu.be/eX3MdsrUU-E
    https://youtu.be/eX3MdsrUU-E
    Last edited by JH Murray; Apr-18-2015 at 9:25pm. Reason: trying to fix video link

4. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

Blog Entries

That was nice enough. She got to do two songs (the usual), playing a different instrument on each - guitar on the first, banjo on the second. (See what I did there? ) That's right - SJ w/ no MC.

Funny - her segment was a rebroadcast of the 2013 show mentioned previously.

Blog Entries

Kristian Bush of Sugarland on The Talk (CBS) 2 PM EDT today. I mention this not because he often plays mandolin in Sugarland, but because while playing in support of his solo album, he's employed the talented Rebecca Lovell and Megan Lovell on mandolin and dobro, respectively. No surety of either's inclusion, so you have to tune in to find out. This yak-fest doesn't have music very often, but every now and then ...

As I did this morning to see Tim McGraw on GMA. Someone in his band was playing an octave mandolin.

Blog Entries

Well, apparently not. He's still doing the same song since he started showing up on talk shows a few months back, but no Lovells. Oh well!

Blog Entries

There may not be any mandolins on the stage, but I expect a lot of bluegrass and country fans will want to tune in anyway tonight for this:

The Late Show with David Letterman: Actor Steve Martin; Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Amos Lee, Ralph Stanley, Steve Martin and Mark O'Connor perform

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

My DVR says Bluegrass Underground this week is David Grisman Folk-Jazz Trio.

Blog Entries

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, and there may be no MC at all. But tonight on Jimmy Kimmell they are continuing with what he calls the Monday Night Mash-Up - two bands with different styls performing a song together. Tonight it's Imagine REO SpeedDragons Imagine Dragons and REO Speedwagon. Tomorrow night Imagine Dragons perform by themselves. It's anyone's guess whether a mandolin will be a part of any of this. But hey - at least, now you know as much as I do.

Blog Entries

Ray Wylie Hubbard was on Conan last night. The song he did featured some very basic but tasteful mandolin accompaniment. The mandolin was way up in the TV mix too.

I can't embed the video since it's a link on Conan's website, but you can watch it here.

Typically great song and performance by RWH.

BTW, that Hubbard's son Lucas playing the mandolin.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Today's edition of CBS This Morning features Watkins Family Hour from the Newport Folk Festival. This is unusual for the show in a few ways, chiefly because they must be doing this on location instead of in studio, as they are hitting the stage at 5:45. (I guess they could drive up from New York, it's only a four hour drive.) The promos for the show have been saying just "Newport Folk Festival" for a couple weeks, then they added WFH last week. I have no idea what it's going to be like, or whether there will be any mandolins, but I know I'll be tuning in at 8:30 AM.

Blog Entries

The Band Perry will be on Good Morning America this morning. There will be a mandolin, for sure, though it probably won't be contributing much. That's the way it goes with them. Neil Perry plays mandolin and OM (I think) on nearly every song, but mostly strums, hardly ever plays a lick. But there's always hope ...

Blog Entries

It's been reported that Chris Cornell has someone playing mandolin in his band. He will be on Ellen today.

Blog Entries

Coming up on PBS this weekend:

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Friends: 50 Years and Circlin' Back

The band celebrates musical milestones and hits with special guests Vince Gill, John Prine, Jackson Browne, Alison Krauss, Rodney Crowell, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Ibbotson, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, and Byron House.

Blog Entries

Vince Gill on Today Show in the 10:00 hour, the one hosted by the very annoying Kathie Lee Gifford and only slightly less so Hoda Kotb. Just sayin' - mute until he shows up. Also, NBC has begun offering this via On Demand - which is how I watch, so I can skip through the irritating me-me-me banter.

But back to the music - I'd be surprised if there weren't a mandolin in the band.

Blog Entries

This may be hoping in vain, but you never know until you tune in. Larkin Poe will be on national network broadcast TV - CBS This Morning Saturday, 2/6/21. Musical acts appear at the end, usually starting about 8:35-8:40 AM EST. There will be an interview/overview segment of, depending on factors which remain mysterious, indeterminate length, followed by a song, an unusually long commercial break, and a second song, which will continue throughout the end credits. I don't know if Rebecca plays mandolin in the context of the band, but I hope so. Though I doubt she will within this two-song format. Oh well! One can still hope ...

Blog Entries

Another programming note - This weekend on Austin City Limits:

Enjoy a tribute to late Texas singer/songwriters Jerry Jeff Walker and Billy Joe Shaver. Walker performs his classics “Mr. Bojangles” and “Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother,” while Shaver plays favorites “Georgia On a Fast Train” and “I’m Just An Old Chunk of Coal.”

The website acltv.com says streaming will be available at pbs.org/austincitylimits starting at 11 PM CST Saturday night. I'd guess no MC, but you never know. That's why I tune in. Also, there's bound to be lots of good stuff from these two great, recently late musicians.

Blog Entries

OK, this is a week away, so maybe too much heads-up. But so I don't forget, and fail to post - Amy Helms on CBS Saturday Morning, July 3rd. Musical acts appear at the end, usually starting about 8:35-8:40 AM EST. Typically two songs, the second leading into and through the credits. Often starts with an interview or overview, and I expect that to be the case here, owing to her heritage.

Blog Entries

Bumping up this notice, as the show is coming up tomorrow morning:

Amy Helms is the musical guest on CBS Saturday Morning, July 3rd. Musical acts appear at the end, usually starting about 8:35-8:40 AM EDT. Typically they get two songs, the second leading into and through the credits. The show starts with an introduction by someone on the news crew, consisting of a career overview and sometimes a brief interview. Will there be some mention of Levon? I'd think it impossible for there not to be.

As is usually the case, something is being promoted - her new album, "What the Flood Leaves Behind," was released in June. Here's a nice brief article and interview from Rolling Stone. There are a couple of youtube clips embedded in it. Don't hear mandolin, though.

Blog Entries

Well, not as much mandolin in this as I'd have liked. There was plenty in the overview/interview section, showing her playing it in Olabelle and in Levon's band, and Levon with the instrument as well. But there wasn't any in the performances, in which she just sang. I thought that might be the case, though I was hoping. Her mandolin was in a stand in front of her, but she didn't pick it up. Maybe mandolin was part of her arsenal as a sideperson, less so as a band leader. She's still a mighty fine singer, and the band was solid. I'd still bet she'd play it at shows, just not in this context.

Blog Entries

This is way in advance, but there's a reason for posting so soon. Austin City Limits announced some of the artists to be taped for Season 47. The order in which their names appeared in the announcement may or may not coincide with the order of broadcast. But in third place, in her third headlining appearance, is someone many of us have been following for years.

Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Jon Randall
    Brittany Howard
    Sarah Jarosz
    Jon Batiste
    Brandy Clark
    Jackson Browne
    Leon Bridges
    Dayglow
    Jade Bird
    Billy Strings
    Charley Crockett

This is about 2/3 of the number of performers in a typical season. More should be announced during the next few months, as broadcasts approach, starting in September or October. If anyone has a line on more complete information please post it when it becomes available.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I see Austin City Limits has announced the broadcast dates for the first half of Season 47. Sarah Jarosz has landed at Episode 4. Not sure we can count on mandolin from any other performer, but you never know. Check your local listings, as always.

10/2 Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram & Jon Randall: The Marfa Tapes
    10/9 Jade Bird / Dayglow
    10/16 Jon Batiste
    10/23 Sarah Jarosz / Billy Strings
    10/30 Brandy Clark / Charley Crockett
    11/6 Leon Bridges / Khruangbin
    11/13 Jackson Browne
    11/20 Brittany Howard

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I see Austin City Limits has announced the broadcast dates for the first half of Season 47. Sarah Jarosz has landed at Episode 4. Not sure we can count on mandolin from any other performer, but you never know. Check your local listings, as always.

10/2 Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram & Jon Randall: The Marfa Tapes
    10/9 Jade Bird / Dayglow
    10/16 Jon Batiste
    10/23 Sarah Jarosz / Billy Strings
    10/30 Brandy Clark / Charley Crockett
    11/6 Leon Bridges / Khruangbin
    11/13 Jackson Browne
    11/20 Brittany Howard
    Jarrod Walker plays mando with Billy Strings so it'll be a double does that night.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I thought there might be something there but I wasn't sure. Some other possibilities for MC include Jackson Browne (you never know, especially if David Lindley is on board), and though the first episode will be mostly just the three of them, and guitar-centric, there might be some backup musicians. Of course, one of the charms of ACL is its inclusion of diverse genres, so don't be surprised if some of the best episodes have nothing whatsoever to do with mandolin. Just like life.

Blog Entries

Well, tonight's the night! For my broadcast area, anyway.

Austin City Limits - Season 46, Episode 4: Sarah Jarosz / Billy Strings

As always with PBS shows, check your local listings. But it should be this weekend.