Thread: Mando vs Beach

Oh man I have been going to our beach with the mandolin, and I noticed something on the gold waverlys. What do I do so they dont begin rusting? What do you shine gold plated hardware with.

You don't polish gold if you want to keep it on there. Just keep'em clean.

with what?

Anything thats gold plated and not sealed with laquer will eventually corode. If everytime you touch the plated parts,you should wipe it off with a cotton cloth ( such as your t-shirt) the prob will slow down. As for the laquer thing,I know of people who have used clear nailpolish for this job,after the part has been VERY well cleaned. Everytime a gold part is touched, a small amount of acid is left on it from your fingers. Also,most gold parts are only plated once.The very expencive machines(you have to ask the manufacturer) are triple plated. Some of these machines also are laquered. Hope this helps Kerry

You better not be taking that brand new Brunkella to the beach, or everybody who posts and reads here is going to sign a petition to have you committed, and give the mandolin to the newbie who writes the best 500 word essay on why they most deserve it.

geeez! is it that bad for it? yes i now confess i brought the new brunkalla to the salty ocean.

OK, all you new players, here's your chance to upgrade to a custom F5. Just post your 500 word essays here at the cafe as to why you are the one who most deserves to have a slightly abused custom Brunkalla. We'll start a new thread where you can post your essays, and we'll call the thread
    "Why I deserve the Brunkalla more than gdae_boy1, who has publicly admitted that he is abusing it in ways that would ruin a plywood Stella."

Gold is one of the most tarnish/corrosion resistant metals in existance. I'm sure the coating is very thin so just don't clean it with anything that will scratch it.

I dont see the "Why I deserve the Brunkalla more than gdae_boy1 post. This mean Im forgiven for my infintile acts?

Hush boy! I'm writing my essay right now!

I figured the essay writers should start the thread, as I didn't want it to appear that I was trying to manipulate the essay thread to my advantage. Maybe grandmainger will start the thread when he finishes his essay. Seriously, I have seen way too many musical instruments that have been the victims of camping trips, beach trips, skiing weekends, and the like. Finish damage from being too close to the campfire to being way too cold has been the most common affliction, but I've seen lots of cracks, water damage, broken pegheads and worse, all from a less-than-friendly environment for instruments. That's where you take the junker instruments if you have to take one along. Then when something bad happens to it, you're really not out anything. I can just hear you trying to explain the rows of holes across the top and back of that fine new instrument; "Well, I was sitting on the beach playing when I heard my girl friend screaming from the ocean. I jumped up and ran down to the water and was pulling her from the surf when this shark grabbed my mandolin!!!"

Eric Hansen

you guys have it all wrong. You don't bring a mandolin to the beach. You bring your UKULELE!!!
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

WireBoy is right. I have a cheap, cheap ukelele tuned like a mandolin. If it were damaged at the beach/camping, etc I would be out less than the cost of a set of Thomstik-Infeld strings.
    Bill Snyder

Ok I swear guys I havent brought it to another beach.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (WireBoy @ Aug. 08 2004, 18:40)
    you guys have it all wrong. #You don't bring a mandolin to the beach. #You bring your UKULELE!!!
    ".....sure atsa me 'kele, whatu think, I steal it?"
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

well summer has come to a close and i have not brought the mandolin back to the beach since