Thread: Book of Victorian Pieces

Default Book of Victorian Pieces

I've just re-discovered a book in my archives called "A Variety of Mandolin Music," edited by Hugo d'Alton. It consists of a lot of Victorian era pieces, many for solo mandolin, duets for guitar and mando, and mandolin duets.

What a technical workout! If I can master 25% of the book, I'll be happy.

So has anyone else out there ever heard of it?

Are there any recordings of the pieces in the book? (figured that if I need to, I can post song names in a subsequent post.)

Default Re: Book of Victorian Pieces

I'm always interested in new music. So, I did a quick google search of this book, and found that you aren't the only one who likes it a lot! Check out this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyJ-lqYYSY

Yes, I have a copy of the book, too -- it comes up on Ebay relatively frequently and that's where I got mine. I think d'Alton's role in editing was really quite limited -- essentially this is a compilation of old pieces previously published piecemeal but in the same typeset in the BMG magazine (which was published by Clifford Essex, who also published the book). D'Alton may have had a hand in selecting the pieces, but I don't think he actually edited the music as such.

Still, it's a lovely book even though I'm in the same boat as Eric in that most of it is way above my skill level. Good to see that our own Michael Reichenbach is more game than me; I really enjoyed the Youtube clip of him playing de Pace's "Bouquet of Flowers" and recommend all to check it out.

Martin

Has anyone seen this book for sale anywhere? I am interested in getting a copy.

Hey, that is cool. "Bouquet of Flowers" is my favorite piece in that book. I've been working on it. I've got a ways to go before it sounds as good as the version on youtube.

"Andalusia" and "Moonlight on the Thames" are two other nice-sounding pieces in the book that are approachable at an intermediate skill level.