Thread: To change strings or not

Default To change strings or not

I recently acquired an Eastman Neapolitan (from another Cafe member -- thanks Rich) and I've been thinking it's about time to change the strings. One in particular is getting a little fuzzy about pitch and I'm thinking it's just worn out.

My question is about timing -- my Mom recently died and we will be doing her Memorial service in about a week. I'll be playing a mandolin/recorder duet at the service and would, of course, like my mandolin to sound its best. I'm tempted to get the new strings now so that I have the best sound, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want the strings to still be stretching or breaking in. (I'm also a little nervous about my ability to get the bridge back in the right place since I haven't changed the strings on this particular mandolin yet.)

What would you all do -- stay with the current strings until after the service or change them now?

Laurie

Blog Entries

Default Re: To change strings or not

I'm sorry for the loss of your mother and understand your desire to play your best at her service. If you change them one at a time the bridge shouldn't move and, if you spend the week practicing so you'll play the best at the service they ought to break in nicely for you. If they're really getting old I wouldn't want to risk a break at that performance either.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Don't forget to use the GHS for fragile instruments strings! Heavier strings will destroy the bowlback. Best to you, at this difficult time.

A week is no problem fro strings to settle in. In fact, a day or two would be fine. Strings don't stretch that much and should not slip assuming you string it correctly with the end of the string locking under. As Jamie noted, you don't need to take all the strings off all at once. I usually do them in pairs or at least only 4 at a time. Since you are playing a modern bowlback I don't know if you need to follow Youda's caveat. I have not played or seen an Eastman bowlback in person, but I would assume thatbtehy could easily take heavier strings.

I would stick to whatever strings you had on there already rather than experiment with new strings at this point. that might end up being a real surprise. If you are, BTW, really nervous about changing the strings, take it to a competent music store or repair place and have them do it and show you the best way to do so.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1