Thread: Surette summer study suggestions

Default Surette summer study suggestions

Summer is a great time to really immerse yourself in music for a week, and these are two wonderful camps that feature all kinds of traditional music, but also offer top-notch mando instruction. David will be teaching mandolin (Celtic-oriented, with a New England accent) as well as guitar in Vermont in June, and in Maine in August will focus on fingerstyle guitar, as well as mandolin, with an emphasis on fiddle tunes. Maine will also feature several other mando teachers, and both camps offer an incredible variety of fiddle players (check out the websites for more info).This is a great opportunity for a much lower student-to-teacher ratio than many mando-only camps, as well as a way to do a lot of jamming with a lot of other instrumentalists. For myself, the real highlight is a chance to jam like a maniac all week long. I'd love to see you there.

June 14-20 Northeast Heritage Music Camp
    Johnson VT www.langston.com/NHMC/

August 16-21 Maine Fiddle Camp (week 2)
    Montville, ME www.Mainefiddle.org

Default Re: Surette summer study suggestions

I'm packed and ready to go. Now if I could just find a mandolin to rent in the Stowe, VT. area. See you at the Northeast music heritage. Bink
    Bink Williams

Bink,

I live north of there in the Kingdom. The closest i know of would be Hanover Strings in Hanover, NH. Hope somebody can find something closer.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

NHMC was my first "total immersion" music camp experience, last year. The teachers are great, the classes small (the guitar classes were, at least), and as David said, the sessions were incredible! Three jams, for beginners, intermediates, and experts, were held every night after dinner and the staff concert. I'd highly recommend this camp.

Unfortunately, it's looking like I won't be able to go this year.

Walt