Thread: Source for zouk strings, etc.

Default Source for zouk strings, etc.

I've checked prior threads and haven't seen anything related to this question. I have a Trinity College bouzouki (TM 375), and in the course of trying to "make it talk," it's become clear that heavier gauge strings would help. (I'm also retrofitting an Allen tailpiece and bone nut.) The heaviest set of so-called "Irish bouzouki strings" I can find is D'Addario's, which uses .011 strings for the E. Seems like a set that started with maybe an .013 and worked its way up from there might produce a bigger sound. Also might stay in tune for longer than a couple of minutes, which is currently the norm.

My two questions: How beefy can I go on the strings with this instrument before I bust it? and 2) Does anyone sell a specific set of strings for the purpose? I imagine you could get there using three sets of the right gauges of guitar strings, but that seems needlessly expensive and complicated.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Default Re: Source for zouk strings, etc.

What's the scale length? I have used D'Addarion Mandola strings on a 20" scale OM and they were great. You might try a set of J72's - 14, 23, 34, 49. I'm surprised you didn't find any info on this topic in the CBOM section, seems like I post this info regularly...

Jonathan,

If your Trinity College is the bouzouki, with the 26 3/4" scale, the tensions with the D'Addario Irish bouzouki set would be:

len 26.75"

E .011" PL == 21.59#
    E .011" PL == 21.59#
    A, .016" PL == 20.35#
    A, .016" PL == 20.35#
    D, .028" PB == 25.75#
    D, .028" PB == 25.75#
    G,, .040" PB == 23.49#
    G,, .040" PB == 23.49#
    total == 182.35#

If that is the case then I wouldn't go any heavier. Replacing the .016s on the A course with .018 nickel wound would probably be an improvement. If you are tuning the top course to E then you could probably try a .0115" for a little extra tension...

If, however, your instrument is the shorter scaled Octave Mandolin, then that is a different matter.

I have GHS PF285's on a 25" scale zouk - 12, 22, 32, 44
    and a John Pearse #2280 OM set on a 23" scale zouk/om - 12, 21, 32, 45

You could also try Octave strings on the bass courses to reduce tension and allow thicker gauges...

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Once you've settled on your string gauges, and since you have an Allen tailpiece, you can shop for gutiar strings in bulk. I've come to really like the bulk strings from JustStrings.com. I buy my favorite gauges in pkgs of 12 each at very nice prices and I like the sound of them very much and they last really well for me.

NFI.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

It is the TC Irish bouzouki with the 25" scale. Based on Roger's calculations, it looks like I'm about at the outside of the tension envelope as it is.

Thanks for all the information. Eddie, I will get a set of GHS's and give them a try.