Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin of Bill Monroe (long)

Default The Mandolin of Bill Monroe (long)

I put this collection of Monroe's music together for a workshop I gave a few years back. The idea was go go though his body of work and select cuts that highlighted various aspects of his mandolin playing. I originally posted it to the Monroe Appreciation Society (hmm, where have I seen those initials before) social group, but I thought I'd put it up on the message boards.

If you have these recordings, it's kind of fun to go through them in order and listen for the things mentioned in the notes. It's particularly useful for people who are just starting to get into Monroe and are a bit overwhelmed by his overall body of work.

1. Tennessee Blues (1940) - Any Monroe retrospective has to begin with this tour-de-force from the very first recording session by the Bluegrass Boys. Notice there are no other breaks. Monroe plays the whole thing on mandolin and, as he does, lays the foundation for most of the bluegrass mandolinists who follow for about the next thirty years.

2. Why Did You Wander (1946) - A gem from the first session with Flatt & Scruggs. Monroe is surging...rolling along with tremendous drive. He's clearly enjoying himself, playing a super-charged version of the Monroe Brothers style.

3. I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky (1947) - The alternate take from the Columbia boxed set. Monroe plays everything: leads, great backup, harmony lines with the fiddle and banjo. He's beginning to acquire the tremendous power in his playing that came out in the 1950's.

4. Mighty Dark To Travel (1947) - as above. His mandolin is taking on a darker tone. He seems to play better and better with each new recording.

5. Bluegrass Breakdown (1947) - This is it, the first true bluegrass instrumental (i.e. the first one not based on a standard blues progression) The inspiration for Foggy Mtn. Breakdown and countless others. Monroe's playing speaks for itself.

6. New Muleskinner Blues (1950) - Monroe's remake of the song that began it all, the first on the played on the Grand Ol' Opry, is also the first recording where he plays fully in the style he's come to be known for. His notes are pinched and cut off short. He's using mostly downstrokes, playing very close to the bridge. It's a harder, sharper sound than the 46-47 recordings.

7. Rawhide (1951) - Monroe's signature tune. His playing is very hot, especially the second break, foreshadowing what may be his best recorded work ever, Whitehouse Blues.

8. Whitehouse Blues (1954) - The early 1950's saw a great leap forward in Monroe's playing. He's gained more power in his right hand and incredible speed and dexterity in his left. Compare Monroe's breaks here, especially the last two, with the second break on Rawhide. His tone, volume and overall sound have increased slightly, but significantly in this three-year period.

9. Travelin' Blues (1951) - From the Jimmie Rodgers tribute session. Monroe plays a loose, relaxed break that displays his mastery of rhythm, even while taking a solo.

10. The Prisoner's Song (1951) - Monroe's first session without the Bluegrass Boys produced some pretty strange results. He responds to the unusual situation with a great vocal performance and blistering mandolin solo, intense and fiery as though he's trying to get as much of the bluegrass sound as possible into the session in his short opportunity. Although session players were occasionally used, Decca made only one more attempt to record Monroe without his band.

11. Ben Dewberry's Final Run (1951) - The second half of the Rodgers tribute was Decca's final attempt at matching Monroe with studio players. Again, not particularly successful but Monroe contributes a brilliant, loping solo that clearly shows him to be a blues palyer of the first degree.

12. Get On your Knees And Pray/Lord Protect My Soul (1951) - Some of Monroe's best playing over the years are his fills and turnarounds in the Bluegrass Boys' gospel quartets, often recorded with only guitar and mandolin as accompaniment. Here are two of the best examples of these short, terse but ultimately eloquent musical statements.

13. Get Up John (1953)/Get Up John (1965) - Always a potent a potent number for Monroe, Get Up John is based on an older tune called Sleepy-Eyed John. Monroe's cross-tuned mandolin demands attention and his playing is ferocious. This was the first tune recorded after the devastating car accident that laid him up for most of 1953 and very nearly ended his life. The second version, from the Smithsonian reissues, was recorded live with Peter Rowan on guitar, at the New Jersey home of fiddler Tex Logan.

14. Let the Light Shine Down On Me (1955) - A good example of how Monroe's playing developed during the 50's. the relaxed, rolling style of the previous decade is still there, with some additional rhythmic synchopations. His backup work has now become the crucial element in maintaining the sound of the band throughout a myriad of personnel changes.

15. Watermelon Hanging On The Vine/Roanoke/Brakeman's Blues/Close By/Bluegrass Stomp - These live performances from 1956 are some of the best illustrations of the strength and versatility of Monroe's playing. On Brakeman's Blues. Kentucky Waltz and Bluegrass Stomp, Edd Mayfield is the guitarist. His rhythm is particularly impressive, characterized by synchopated playing and extensive use of bass runs. Mayfield's work with the Bluegrass Boys represents the first major advance in bluegrass rhythm guitar since Lester Flatt joined the band in the mid-40's. On Close By, it's Monroe who contributes some incredible rhythm playing. Listen to the end of the second line in the fiddle break. He changes from a straight chop to a complicated pattern where he synchopates the "on" beat and then right back to the off beat chop. Also noteworthy is Monroe's moody, modal break following Don Reno's banjo extravaganza on Bluegrass Stomp.

16. Lord Lead Me On (1958) - Another first-rate example of Monroe's ability to say so much with so little. His tone is sharp, like glass breaking and every note is perfectly placed. More great singing and guitar-playing from Edd Mayfield.

17. Bluegrass, Part One (1960) - Also known as Bluegrass Twist, this is another of Monroe's blues numbers. However, this one has a special sound that arose from a problem with his mandolin at the time of the recording session. Apparently the thirteenth fret had come loose and one of the E strings was stuck momentarily underneath the fret, resulting in various harmonies as Monroe played that string. The odd effect is heard most clearly at the beginning of the second mandolin break, right after the fiddle solo.

18. I Have Found The Way (1962) - Similar to Let The Light Shine Down On Me, there are literally dozens of examples of Monroe playing in this smooth, relaxed style. It is bluegrass mandolin at it's very best.

19. Fire On The Mtn. (1964)/Kansas City Railroad Blues (1964) - These two numbers show how Monroe's mandolin sound changed during the 60's. He began moving his hand around, exploring the timbres and textures. Meanwhile his lead and rhythm playing became more integrated, to the point where he often abandoned the melody altogether in favour of exploring the tonal possibilities of his instrument. Listen to KCRB, where he produced a phase-shifter type of effect through the use of this technique.

20. Bluegrass Breakdown/Rawhide/Y'all Come (1964) - Comparing the first two tune with the originals, the change in Monroe's sound was obvious. By the 60's he was getting far more sound out of his instrument than in the ear part of of his career. His tag break on Y'all Come is an absolute stuner, similar to the kick-off to Roanoke.

21. What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul/Watson's Blues (1963) - Monroe's playing is comparatively delicate in this live performance with Doc Watson. As the sould instrumentalist, he displays a softer, more understated style than he does with the Bluegrass Boys.

22. Paddy On the Turnpike/Dusty Miller (1966) - From the first session with the Peter Rowan, Richard Greene, Lamar Grier band, here is Monroe at the height of his power and ability. It's difficult to imagine anyone getting more tone and volume out of a mandolin, especially at these tempos. These are bluegrass classics!

23. A Pretty Fair Maid In The Garden (1966) - Monroe's break, while not technically flawless is pure bluegrass. His choice of notes is perfect for bringing out the subtle nuances of the melody. An appreciation for the tone, timing and technique of this break is all one needs to understand Monroe's genius as a mandolinist.

24. The Dead March (1969)/Goin' Across The Sea (1989) - Monroe attributes these two tunes to his fiddling Uncle Pen.The first features an easy relaxed tempo that spotlights the tone of his mandolin. The second tune was recorded at Monroe's abandoned childhood home in Rosine, Kentucky, as part of the filming of the documentary High Lonesome.

Well, that's it. As I said, I could have continued into the 70's/80's but the goal wasn't so much to be comprehensive as it was to feature examples of the different aspects of his playing and, by the time I reached the end of the 60's I felt that goal had been accomplished. I really enjoyed immersing myself in Monroe's music and listening hard for specific things in his mandolin work.
    Last edited by mandolirius; May-19-2009 at 3:57pm.

Default Re: The Mandolin of Bill Monroe (long)

Good work! Enjoyed the reading and I will dig out my Monroe collection as soon as I get home to put in my 6 cd rotation of my car. I'm in my car a lot so that's where I can really give a good listen. Thanks
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

U da Mon (Man)

That's a great list, I'll have to spend some time re-listening to all the songs. One of my favorites wasn't mentioned, and it is a very early one - New River Train with just Bill and Charlie Monroe. I am amazed at some of the variations he came up with and the speed he already had in 1936.

Tom

Thanks guys. It really was a fun project.

Tom, I didn't use any of the Monroe Bros, even though there was some great stuff. I felt like he was playing in a similar style during the 40's and I was looking for a good point to take off from, so I went with the first sessions with the Bluegrass Boys. It just goes to show the breadth of Monroe's career. As comprehensive as I was (I literally listened to every recording made during the 50's and 60's) there was still a lot more I could have covered. And that's just his mandolin work. There's his singing and songwriting too!

Mandolirius
    Great work and analysis. Monroe was far more complex musically than the simple Native Son portrayed by many sentimentalists. Three pieces of his stand out in my mind for their unusual form, or chord progression: Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, Kentucky Mandolin, and the rarely played Tanyards. Make that four if you can get by the Kenny Baker thing and accept Jerusalem Ridge as a Monroe original. Any thoughts?

LMW & KM are two of my favourites. In fact, that was the hardest part of that project. I had to keep reminding myself not to simply make it a list of my favourites. JR is a tune that may have been written more by Baker than Monroe, but keep in mind that Monroe's music had a huge influence on Kenny Baker, so Bill would be in there one way or another. But I don't mind if it's credited to Kenny Baker. Monroe wrote so many great tunes, he can afford to lose one.

As for Tanyards, I've never heard or even heard of it. I just finished reading "Come Hither To Go Yonder" by Bob Black, which essentially documents the two years he spent in the Bluegrass Boys. There were a number of instrumentals mentioned that I'd never heard of. I'm constantly amazed by Monroe's output and now I realize there was even more, some of which he never recorded or even got around to performing in the band.
    Last edited by mandolirius; May-19-2009 at 11:36pm.

mandolirious thanks for all the hard work you put into this, you've given us Monroephiles a lot of food for thought. The majority of the material you cover I listen to quite often trying to get the flavor of Bills' various techniques...this is great.

Quote Originally Posted by mandozilla View Post
    mandolirious thanks for all the hard work you put into this, you've given us Monroephiles a lot of food for thought. The majority of the material you cover I listen to quite often trying to get the flavor of Bills' various techniques...this is great.

Thanks 'zilla! It was a labour of love.

Blog Entries

mandolirius: I put this collection of Monroe's music together for a workshop I gave a few years back.
    Excellent road map to follow Monroe's musical journey -- I have listened to his music for some time but reading your analysis brings a number of things togather for me. You track his advancing/maturing style.

I wonder as you did this analysis did you see a point at which his playing started to change the other direction -- just because of his advancing age?

At the Monroe Style Bluegrass camp (the first one) Mike Compton had a session on "Monroe the later years" and in it he gave some examples of how Monroe cleverly found easier ways to get the similar sound on some of the harder songs. Curious as to your thoughts on this. I think I should focus on those shortcuts!!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Wow, great work. Really nice overview of his playing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Excellent road map to follow Monroe's musical journey -- I have listened to his music for some time but reading your analysis brings a number of things togather for me. You track his advancing/maturing style.

I wonder as you did this analysis did you see a point at which his playing started to change the other direction -- just because of his advancing age?

At the Monroe Style Bluegrass camp (the first one) Mike Compton had a session on "Monroe the later years" and in it he gave some examples of how Monroe cleverly found easier ways to get the similar sound on some of the harder songs. Curious as to your thoughts on this. I think I should focus on those shortcuts!!!
    That factor didn't enter into it, as I stopped at the end of the 60's. In my view, Monroe was doing some of his best playing at that point. It's been said that the Rowan, Greene, Grier band really inspired him. I don't think his playing ability began to diminish for another few years.

I have to mention the most amazing show I ever saw him give, which was in Vancouver in 1980. Monroe was 69 yrs. old at the time and beginning to show his age. He'd had some hip problems and certainly didn't bound onto the stage the way he had the first time I saw him, only five years earler. I was part of the group that brought him to town and we were a bit nervous about losing money (our own - we had no backers). But he'd never played Vancouver before and our fears proved unfounded. We sold out the first show in a few hours, contacted Monroe's management, got permission to add a second show and sold it out too, with many people buying a ticket for both.

The crowd was on fire! The fantastic energy it put out affected Monroe and you could see the years just melt away from him as the show went on. By the end he was standing straighter and really seemed twenty years younger than he had at the beginning. I'll never forget this moment: a friend and I were front row, dead center and determined to hear him do Let Me Rest At The End Of My Journey. When he began taking requests we recognized a pattern. A bunch of people yelled out requests all at once. If Bill didn't hear something he wanted to do, he waited a beat and then more requests came. My pal and I waited for that beat and then, less than twenty feet from Monroe, yelled out our request. We dropped it perfectly into the silent spot between the waves of requests and Monroe couldn't ignore it. He, Kenny Baker and Wayne Lewis had a quick huddle. I could see Kenny shake his head. He didn't want to do it. But for some reason Monroe decided to. He said "now, we haven't done this number for twenty years, so don't hold nuthin' against us" (big laugh). They started, with Butch Robbins stood slightly behind Monroe feeding him the lyrics line by line. The moment when it all came back to him was electifying. His body language totally changed, his voice became stronger and he moved right up on the mic, no longer needing the prompts from his banjo player. To say it moved me is a ridiculous understatement. I'm even shaking a bit just recalling the moment now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripp Johnson View Post
    Wow, great work. Really nice overview of his playing. Thanks!
    You're truly welcome. I love discussing Monroe and his music. A true life hero to me and not really for his music, even though I love it. It's for the way he stuck to his musical vision, even through the tough times. I wonder what would have happened to bluegrass had Monroe started experimenting with drums, electric guitars, string sections, background singers and all the other trappings of Nashville in the 50's.

"I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky" really split the bluegrass atom for me; I realized that far from being just a rather simple-minded hillbilly ditty, that it could serve as a rosetta stone for bluegrass mandolin playing. You start playing that in A, and you could still be there working up solos and variations days later.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Thumbs up Re: The Mandolin of Bill Monroe (long)

You know, I found a mandolin workshop that Mr. Monroe put on at a Bluegrass Festival where he demonstrated how he played a particular tune differently from the time he was with Charlie to early days of BG and later. It was really interesting that he was so aware of his style and the changes he had made. BTW, this was an audio recording found on a website called Sugarmegs. You ought to listen to it sometime.

This is also the first time I'd heard Monroe play Blackberry Blossum.

Great..I throughly enjoyed that. it brought back some memories as a child I would sit in front of the turntable and be mesmorized by that stuff. Such emotion. Hey..does anybody got an online source for Watsons Blues?...I would love to hear that one again.

Ky. 30 miles from the birthplace of it all, Rosine, Ky.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotti Adams View Post
    Great..I throughly enjoyed that. it brought back some memories as a child I would sit in front of the turntable and be mesmorized by that stuff. Such emotion. Hey..does anybody got an online source for Watsons Blues?...I would love to hear that one again.
    Go to Sugarmegs online. It's in there, and many, many others.

Blog Entries

Scotti Adams: Great..I throughly enjoyed that. it brought back some memories as a child I would sit in front of the turntable and be mesmorized by that stuff. Such emotion.
    Scotti -- that reminds me of how I first became aware of the mystic of Monroe -- I was back in grad school at OSU in '72 after my 2 yr Army "detour" and a friend had brought over a tape cassette with an hour of Monroe and the BGB.

They were a collection of songs that he had recorded with a microphone from some LP's -- so the recordings were not good sound quality by today's standards at all -- but they were all "barn burners".

I took my Hummingbird out of the case planning to try to chord along -- I also opened a beer (needed a church key then) -- about a half hour later the cassette reached the end of side A and I realized I had not even take more than the first sip of the beer -- in fact I had just been sitting there kind of staring at the tape deck for 30 minutes -- it was then I realized that I was really into this man's music!

sugarmegs site is thumbs UP!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Going back and listening to any Monroe recordings is just plain good for the soul. I personally would have a hard time narrowing it down to my favorite 100. How nice would it be to buy an iPod with the entire Monroe recordings on it as well as all the other bluegrass legends like Flatt&Scruggs, Stanley Bros.,Reno&Smiley,Osborne Bros.,Jimmy Martin, Jim&Jesse plus others. Soon the mandolin pickers at the cafe that want to hear these 3000 songs will be able to purchase an iPod already loaded up with these artist on one small Nano for the price of the iPod. What a cool way to learn from the Masters of Bluegrass in the palm of your hand.

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    How nice would it be to buy an iPod with the entire Monroe recordings on it as well as all the other bluegrass legends like Flatt&Scruggs, Stanley Bros.,Reno&Smiley,Osborne Bros.,Jimmy Martin, Jim&Jesse plus others.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm not selling my iPod.

I'll be selling mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    needing the prompts from his banjo player. To say it moved me is a ridiculous understatement. I'm even shaking a bit just recalling the moment now.
    You're truly welcome. I love discussing Monroe and his music. A true life hero to me and not really for his music, even though I love it. It's for the way he stuck to his musical vision, even through the tough times. I wonder what would have happened to bluegrass had Monroe started experimenting with drums, electric guitars, string sections, background singers and all the other trappings of Nashville in the 50's.
    Man, you said it, and beautifully too, the man's essence was so huge, he knew who he was.
    Thanks Mike and amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Man, you said it, and beautifully too, the man's essence was so huge, he knew who he was.
    Thanks Mike and amen!
    Thanks, and I agree. There was a self-assurance there that I couldn't come close to even on my best day.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Mandolirius - Thanks tremendously for your observations and list! As a relative noob to Monroe, your comments will help me a great deal as I listen through the Monroe recordings.

Quote: To say it moved me is a ridiculous understatement. I'm even shaking a bit just recalling the moment now.

This was especially poignant. I feel for anyone who has yet to enjoy a similar musical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy1 View Post
    Go to Sugarmegs online. It's in there, and many, many others.
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Scotti -- that reminds me of how I first became aware of the mystic of Monroe -- I was back in grad school at OSU in '72 after my 2 yr Army "detour" and a friend had brought over a tape cassette with an hour of Monroe and the BGB.

They were a collection of songs that he had recorded with a microphone from some LP's -- so the recordings were not good sound quality by today's standards at all -- but they were all "barn burners".

I took my Hummingbird out of the case planning to try to chord along -- I also opened a beer (needed a church key then) -- about a half hour later the cassette reached the end of side A and I realized I had not even take more than the first sip of the beer -- in fact I had just been sitting there kind of staring at the tape deck for 30 minutes -- it was then I realized that I was really into this man's music!

sugarmegs site is thumbs UP!
    Bernie...gets ya right in the ol gitter doesnt it?