Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keth View Post
    I'm in the boat that thinks he looks like a circus clown with a bad haircut.
    For which there is ample historical precedent...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clownwbanjomando.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	42977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1920%20deco%20pierrot%20clown%20with%20mandolin.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	42978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperStock_1158-1439.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	42979  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	42980  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

2. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Here is a little video about #73009.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRW7tfhimGQ

4. The following members say thank you to evanreilly for this post:

How cool is that? {answer: very}
    Last edited by Michael Gowell; Jun-05-2009 at 3:41pm. Reason: clarity

Too bad the YouTube clip of Bernardo di Pace's Vitaphone film has been taken down. It depicts one of the leading virtuosi of the early 20th century, playing the absolute snot out of a Lyon & Healy, while clad in a Pagliacci suit. Beautiful playing, but sad to see the mandolin treated like a sideshow act.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    That clown can pick the tar out of a mandolin. I don't care if he goes onstage naked. He is one of the modern masters, and doesn't get the credit he deserves. Probably because of his country glam appearance. Appolon could pick good too.
    I never said anything bad about his playing. He plays the thing great! I just said he looks like an idiot.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Appolon could pick good too.
    Perhaps just a wee bit understated

Mr Apollon was a blazing virtuoso - almost inhuman.

Chris, when someone plays as well as Marty, well... they can pretty much do whatever they want. The word on the street is that Marty is one of the nicest and most "accessible" guys in the music biz. He gets my respect - and I hope I can have that much hair at his age!

I'm in the boat that thinks he looks like a circus clown with a bad haircut.

You may be the only person in that boat

He was dressed like a clown because he was appearing on vauseville or filming a movie short. He was in theatre. He wore costumes.

The great one.......Jethro Burns, also needed a comedy act to make it as a mandolin player......it was just a "part" of his persona, of course as mandolin players, we all know how great a picker he was. I've seen photos of him in some pretty corny outfits too.

BTW I just saw Marty Stuart at the GAMH in San Francisco, and he smoked on his Loar. When he first came on stage he played guitar on the first tune & then picked up the mandolin..... he mentioned that the Bay Area has some great mandolin players "David & Mike Marshall".....I guess Grisman is at Madonna stage now, he only needs his first name mentioned. Marty ripped into Rawhide and played the tar out of it. Some folks don't realize he was a child prodigy.....kinda like the Chris Thile of his day.......playing in Lester Flatt's band as a young teen, having been mentored by Roland White. He also played with Vassar Clements and was in Johnny Cash's band.
    At his SF gig, I was "very" impressed with his playing, his showmanship was top notch.....what a great performer, and his band was very talented. He did dress all in black with leather pants & a long black collarless coat with fringe on the sleeves.......the band dressed all in white......but I'm here to testify.....he can really play the mandolin!!!

12. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    That outfit was the inspiration for the tune 'Russian Rag.
    Well, maybe....
    Wasn't Russian Rag a PIANO piece before Apollon made it a mandolin orchestra showpiece?

BTW, Bernunzio's in Rochester has an H5 they say belonged to Apollon.
    They've had it for a long time too. Maybe 3 years.
    No interest in it here.
    http://bernunzio.com/products/016473

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stec View Post
    BTW, Bernunzio's in Rochester has an H5 they say belonged to Apollon. They've had it for a long time too. Maybe 3 years.
    Longer than that, and the price has been reduced substantially over that time. It's electrified with a big pickup inset in the top. A collector's item in search of a collector...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Spaulding View Post
    Perhaps just a wee bit understated

Mr Apollon was a blazing virtuoso - almost inhuman.

Chris, when someone plays as well as Marty, well... they can pretty much do whatever they want. The word on the street is that Marty is one of the nicest and most "accessible" guys in the music biz. He gets my respect - and I hope I can have that much hair at his age!
    It's nothing about not having any respect for them. I respect their playing very much and I listen to it a lot (Apollon only after having seen this thread, BTW) I just have an opinion.

For what it's worth, I think that Hendrix, Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page all dressed pretty stupid in their day, too, and I still love their music.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Chris, FWIW I wasn't disagreeing with your assessment completely. Not my particular choice of wardrobe but Porter Wagoner would probably find my garb ridiculous .

I guess when someone is (talented, rich,fast, accurate, strong, big, powerful,clueless, loud or secure ) enough, they can live their lives truly with little regard for what others think.
    I would love to possess in spades, the first and last qualities in my list. Don't care so much about the others now that I have reached 41.

Edit - btw I played in several fulltime Rock/metal bands in the late 80's early nineties and I PRAY that no photographs still exist of my stage attire!

Blog Entries

In the larger world, I think very few things sell themselves. The ultimate in under sold virtuosity would be classical musicians, many of whom are as good if not better than the super heros of music, but would not be recognized except by a few when in line at the ticket counter of the airport.

So musicians, like all entertainers, have to do something to cut through the noise and get some attention. Clothing and hair is benign compared to what some musicians do to get some press. Once they are "noticed", their musical virtuosity will hopefully carry them. But how often is virtuosity alone noticed? By the general public "culture at large" I mean.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I would amend "musicians" to "performers." Some great musicians never go on the road - think of session players in NY, Nashville, LA, etc. A different lifestyle, more opportunities for domestic life, but no less musical.

21. The following members say thank you to Michael Gowell for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gowell View Post
    I would amend "musicians" to "performers." .
    Yea, I'll grant that.

The entire staff
    funny....

So did Marty get a Loar? I visited with him a year and a half ago, and I don't recall the exact details, but he either had one and sold it, or he passed on one that was offered to him some years back, when they had less numbers in the asking price.
    Duane

It's nothing about not having any respect for them. I respect their playing very much and I listen to it a lot (Apollon only after having seen this thread, BTW) I just have an opinion.

For what it's worth, I think that Hendrix, Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page all dressed pretty stupid in their day, too, and I still love their music.

I may be mis-reading you, but it sounds like you're judging Apollon as if he was out on the street dressed that way or even giving a concert, which seems odd. He was on set, in costume. When they are performing in theatre, depending on what they're doing, people could be wearing anything...a tutu, striped pyjamas, a gorilla suit...

Marty did have a Loar and sold it a few years back.
    Dave Apollon had a Loar & it wound up being sold by a beer bootlegger to a Canadian sailor, who later pawned it in Nova Scotia.

Unlike some historical Loars that have been silenced never to make music again, Apollon's Loar is still out there making beautiful music like a Gypsy !

Bill Monroe played #73009 several times, including one 'workshop' at a BG festival. His comment about it was that it "Notes Good".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSM&73009@PV2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	43159  

This is the mandolin that was purchased in a pawn shop here in Nova Scotia for $100. It was pawned by an American Sailor who's USN ship visited Halifax in the early 1960's. A local musician happened on it and owned it for many years. Since Mr apollon was still performing at that time, I am curious as to how it left Dave Apollon's hands to wind up in the hands of the unknown sailor.
    Wow, this is a neat piece of Nova Scotian history. I sure would have like to be the one who found that baby in the pawnshop. Does anyone know who did actually find it?
    Luke Cheverie

Eastman MD615
    Epiphone MM-30

It twas my Canadian cousin that still lives in NS. He sold it to it's current owner.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ken View Post
    Here is one on a signed LP to Dr. Kazaborski. Interestingly, the LP is also signed by Joe Cafiero who played in his band.
    Hello Uncle Ken,

I was so surprised to read your comment regarding Dave Apollon's signature that included Joe Cafiero's signature, as well. My name is Salvatore Joseph Cafiero and I am the son of Joseph Cafiero, who played with Dave Apollon. Our family moved from New York to Las Vegas in 1960 as my father was hired by Dave to join his mandolin orchestra to perform in the Crystal Ballroom at the Desert Inn Hotel.

I would love to chat with you in detail about Dave Apollon and my father! My email address is: sjcjazzola@cox.net

Best to you, Salvatore J. Cafiero

Let me partially correct some information on 73009. It was not pawned in Halifax by an American sailor but by the mandolin/guitar duet Lucky & Curly. It was bought by Canadian sailor Ray MacLean (Newfoundland Show Band) from a bootlegger in Virginia when his ship was there. I bought it from Gottingen Exchange in the winter of 1959-60 and kept it until I disbanded The Nova Scotia Ramblers in 1988. I sold it to Evan Reilly in October 1988. Years later I met Lucky (Doug Walker) and he told me he pawned it for $12.00 to buy something he wanted at a bootleggers and didn't get back until the time was up and lost it. So it had an interesting career with bootleggers.

32. The following members say thank you to Fred Isenor for this post: