Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Default Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Here is a Vintage Autographed Studio Photo of Dave Apollon for sale on eB@y.

No financial interest in this, but I thought it was worth posting for posterity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dave apollon.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	42551  

Default Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

I have a couple of his autographs and I'm not sure that's his signature on the back of that picture. Someone might have just wrote the name of the subject on the back.

That's the same photo Grisman sold copies of back during the Mandolin World Magazine days. His copy must have been in better shape then this one which looks rather torn and beat. Looks like it would fall apart in shipping.
    It is probably the best known photo of his famous '23 Loar which I understand is still for sale to the right buyer.
    As far as signatures go it's not a very good one if it's even his, it's on the back and it's in pencil. The front in ink would bring more money.

4. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Hmm, I have a signed Apollon B&W (posted picture elsewhere on the board) and the signature isn't quite the same. I'd be curious to see a few more examples
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Here is one on a signed LP to Dr. Kazaborski. Interestingly, the LP is also signed by Joe Cafiero who played in his band.

Name:	apollon autograph.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	42564  

I have about 2 dozen really good examples of his signature from various years in my collection of Apollon "stuff" and I couldn't get it to match either.
    Usually he would have signed this in ink. Pencil is what you would use to lightly indentify the artist on the front on the back so it would not show through the photo. Looked small too. Artists are usually consistant in their size of signature. Let's just say if you want this photo for an autograph I'd look elsewhere. If you want it for a photo of his refinished Loar I'd look elsewhere for better quality.
    One thing for sure is ole Dave can't tell us if he signed on the back like that.

Thanks Ken, mine matches yours.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I think Tom's explanation makes sense. Who would have the artist sign the back of the photo. Someone just put his name on the back to identify the person on the front.
    Bill Snyder

Dan, your photo is a Maurice Seymour. Those are collectable no matter who the subject is. He did lots of celebrities in the 20s. He had a distinct style, very dark and shadowy.

This is the mandolin that was purchased in a pawn shop here in Nova Scotia for $100. It was pawned by an American Sailor who's USN ship visited Halifax in the early 1960's. A local musician happened on it and owned it for many years. Since Mr apollon was still performing at that time, I am curious as to how it left Dave Apollon's hands to wind up in the hands of the unknown sailor.

I have seen photos of Apollon with different F5s over the years. Bear in mind that it was preferable to have the latest model and newest mandolin as opposed to an older one. There was no concept of vintage instruments in those days. Apollon could afford to buy a new mandolin every few years and probably traded them in at his favorite music store.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ole Dave never worried about the price of an F5. He was a major endorser of the F5 and Gibson gave him all he wanted. From the photos he got a new one every 3 to 5 years from 1923 to his last Custom one in 1962.
    And from the shipping records his name poped up a lot for repair jobs too. And yes he would sell them for list price when he got rid of them. I have a signed receipt from Dave for selling his '37 F5 at $250.

15. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

Jim Garber: I have seen photos of Apollon with different F5s over the years. Bear in mind that it was preferable to have the latest model and newest mandolin as opposed to an older one. There was no concept of vintage instruments in those days. Apollon could afford to buy a new mandolin every few years and probably traded them in at his favorite music store.
    What you say makes perfect sense.

In fact do you recall the comment (by Frank Wakefield) on the Mandolin Extravaganza CD?

They were talking about PeeWee Lambert's F-5 (it was a Loar) that someone had broken the neck off by sitting on the mandolin in a chair. And as the story goes Lambert just threw it in the trash and someone rescued it and glued it the neck back togather -- somehow subsequently Wakfield ended up with it.

Anyway someone on the CD (maybe Grisman?) was kind of incredulous about that and he said "He (Lambert) just threw it away?!"

To which Wakefield responed "Yeah them days everyone wanted a new one (mandolin) they didn't know them older ones had better tone -- and stuff"

Now you never know for sure what Mr. Wakefield is really saying but its interesting to me that his answer implies the folks back in the late 20's through the 40's had both Loars and the later F-5's yet they did not see the Loars as clearly superior -- now we do.

So how much of our reverence for the Loar is "emotion"?

Just wondering.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

17. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Jim 

So it may well have been out of his hands long before being pawned in Halifax. That makes sense. The Loar signature probably didn't have as much significance (if any) at that time.

From the records Dave kept the Loar longer then others.
    He had it refinished in the 30's and then had that photo made because it looked new again. Several photos show him with a new Fern but in the background on the piano would be his Loar ready for action in the event of a string break. It's was like cars to some. Somebody has to get the new ones to show them off.
    No doubt it was not until the 50's when other pickers found out Monroe had a Loar F5 that the demand went up.
    Many ordered new 50's F5s thinking it would be the same.
    Remember Lester Flatt played a new 40's F5 years before Monroe got his and nobody seemed to notice it was an F5.

20. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

He had it refinished in the 30's and then had that photo made because it looked new again. Several photos show him with a new Fern but in the background on the piano would be his Loar ready for action in the event of a string break.
    Another tidbit that I did not know - no surprise there. But this makes the Apollon Loar a less-than-ideal as a collector's piece then? That is, not original -- although it still has the Apollon cache/mystique.

But maybe that is part of the reason that it is still for sale?

When the price gets down to under $25K I'll put in an offer
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Why on earth is he dressed like that?

He's a Russian and Russian performers dress that way.
    He wore regular USA suits too.

24. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    He's a Russian and Russian performers dress that way.
    Oh, I didn't know he was Russian.

That outfit was the inspiration for the tune 'Russian Rag.
    Well, maybe....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have seen photos of Apollon with different F5s over the years. Bear in mind that it was preferable to have the latest model and newest mandolin as opposed to an older one. There was no concept of vintage instruments in those days. Apollon could afford to buy a new mandolin every few years and probably traded them in at his favorite music store.
    And in that video of Dave playing Sweet Sue, he has what looks to be a Lyon & Healy style A.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keth View Post
    Amazing mandolin players can dress any way they want as far as I am concerned.

Name:	marty_header.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	42913  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Amazing mandolin players can dress any way they want as far as I am concerned.

I'm in the boat that thinks he looks like a circus clown with a bad haircut.

That clown can pick the tar out of a mandolin. I don't care if he goes onstage naked. He is one of the modern masters, and doesn't get the credit he deserves. Probably because of his country glam appearance. Appolon could pick good too.
    Mike Snyder

31. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keth View Post
    He was from Russia but it's mainly because he worked in vaudeville. I've seen a number of the film shorts he made too and he was always dressed in some kind of flambouyant outfit. Dave Apollon was showman.

33. The following members say thank you to mandolirius for this post: