Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Default Re: Dave Apollon and his 1923 Loar # 73009

Russian Rag was a novelty piece written by George L. Cobb and ragged the theme from a Rachmaninov piano concerto. Novelty rags were very popular in and before Dave Appolon's. time. My mother whom studied piano at Julliard and played until the day before her passing in 2006 at 91, played many of those rags like Kitten on the Keys, Dizzy Fingers by Zef Confry and others, as well as the original Rachmaninov materials. I have a copy of the original score of Russian Rag if a few affecianados might like a copy, pm me. I performed it with the Kent State orchestra in 1980 with an arrangement by a composition major named George Ferenz who teaches theory in Wisconsin now. We played it as a duet with my ragtime guitar partner and still perform it with a trio.

As far as the remarks about Mr. Appolon's dress, geez it was vaudeville and costumes were part of the act. If you heard the original recordings of the Applon orchestra withe the Phiilipino musicians you can hear what a ham he was. I am lucky enough to have copy of Mandolins, Mandolins from his Las Vegas years, class act I must say.

Showmanship is part of being a pro.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

2. The following members say thank you to oldwave for this post:

Thanks Fred, for giving the details on the Halifax Purchase you made. I have heard about this for several years from various sources here in Nova Scotia. I did know it was you that bought it, but did not want to mention your name. I know it gave you many years of playing.

Best wishes

4. The following members say thank you to 8ch(pl) for this post:

Boy, the amazing things one learns here boggles the mind! What a fascinating thread this is! Remarkable story about a man and his mandolin!

You can download the piano version of Russian Rag here.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Wow, I don't know about this. My friends and I played a benefit at a local art school and wound up playing in a sculpture class featuring a nude model. Very distracting, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I don't care if he goes onstage naked.

Great version with improvisation!
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

and it's now for sale on the MC classifieds at $90K

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/69234

I think Evan has offered this one for sale before but I could be mistaken.
    Bill Snyder

It has been for sale privately for several years and Evan has run a few ads before this one. Of the refinished Loars I've played this is no doubt one of the finest. It had to have been hand picked by Apollon upon a visit to the factory in mid 1923 but then again that April batch of Loars was all pretty fine.

13. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

I have a theory regarding the excellent tonal qualities of #73009. When it was returned to the factory in 1937 for the repair of the crack in the top, Gibson sandblasted the old finish off the instrument before refinishing it.. Thus, the top and back are a slighter thickness than all the others of that period. Of course, they were all hand graduated and are not identical, but #73009 is most likely on the thin end of the plates.
    Here is a good video of a pair of April 25th, 1923 mandolins going full tilt out at Bean Blossom a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8qkZf7yLE.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evanreilly For This Useful Post:

Could be Evan. I know the PeeWee Lambert '22 went back for a new neck in the mid 30's and likely got a new finish then. Since then the PeeWee has been refinished 3 more times with each time taking it down to bare wood and likely the reason it too is a great sounding Loar. Skaggs owns it now and says it's a really powerful Loar. If you read his new book there is a lot of detail about his first Loar, a '24 Loar he got when first joining up with JD Crowe. It had been refinished too. When you listen to that live reunion double LP on the Country Gentleman reunion you can really tell how powerful that '24 Loar was too.

17. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Nice looking mando - goofy looking outfit
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Here is Dave Apollon as he appeared in Gibson's 1936 Catalog X with what looks like a custom made mandolin with the big block FB inlays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave Apollon_CatX.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	107210
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

20. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Actually, that is this mandolin

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/91144
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

[QUOTE=pfox14;1206650]Here is Dave Apollon as he appeared in Gibson's 1936 Catalog X with what looks like a custom made mandolin with the big block FB inlays.

I think it's possible that this is the mandolin in that picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1936fernful.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	107211

The picture is from Player's Vintage Instruments with this description.

GM - 00036 1936 Gibson "Fern" F-5 EXC This one will stand up to any mandolin in any situation. It's right up there with the best of the best. Sunburst spruce top is crack free as are the flame maple back and sides. Original pickguard which has a teeny almost invisible repaired crack at its tip. Tailpiece, bridge and end pin are also original as are the tuning pegs. Beautiful Fern inlay on the headstock and on the back of the headstock a "Made In USA" stamp indicating that the mandolin was originally shipped out of the country. Also two small holes that once held a strap attachment bracket. One can envy the scroll from the front or the back with great satisfaction. There is normal player wear on the back of the neck but one doesn't notice it at all when playing. The thing plays great. The label is in fine shape showing the serial number 93722. And the original 'red line' hard shell case is in pretty nice shape.

It came up on a web search but I don't think it currently for sale there anymore. If it is NFI.

Phil

23. The following members say thank you to goaty76 for this post:

According to Darryl it's:

1935 manufacture date (traditional estimates)
    1934 shipment date, according to Spann's Guide to Gibson
    Mandolin, Style F5
    Serial 91144
    Factory Order number: 1071

Quote Originally Posted by 8ch(pl) View Post
    This is the mandolin that was purchased in a pawn shop here in Nova Scotia for $100. It was pawned by an American Sailor who's USN ship visited Halifax in the early 1960's. A local musician happened on it and owned it for many years. Since Mr apollon was still performing at that time, I am curious as to how it left Dave Apollon's hands to wind up in the hands of the unknown sailor.
    Very wrong information. It was brought to Halifax by a Canadian sailor who bought it from a bootlegger in Virginia where it was traded for booze. It was not pawned by a sailor. He sold it to a man who pawned it at Gottingen Exchange where I bought it in January 1960 and used it with The Nova Scotia Ramblers until I sold it in October 1988 to Evan Reilly. The sailor was Ray McLean who later went home to Newfoundland and led The Newfoundland Show Band.
    Fred Isenor

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Keth View Post
    Oh, I didn't know he was Russian.
    Yes, but he was Jewish and born in Kiev (Ukraine) in 1898, which was part of the Russian Tsarist Empire Pale of Settlement at the time. So technically he would not most likely not be considered "Russian" these days.

from Wiki "At an early age, he played the violin but abandoned the instrument after taking a fervent interest in an old bowl back mandolin his father kept in the house."

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

He's Ukrainian, born in Kiev.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

No mandolin content but short history digression. In Eastern Europe through the Soviet period, Jews were not considered "Russian" or "Ukrainian" but a separate nationality, like "Chechen" or "Tatar." I've seen Soviet internal passports stamped "Jew" as late as the early 90's. My own birth certificate, from Austria, says Mosaische, [Mosaic] probably because Jude was a bit sensitive only 20 years after WWII. It's a different understanding of citizenship and nationality than we have in the Anglosphere (US, Canada, ANZAC).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Yes, but he was Jewish and born in Kiev (Ukraine) in 1898, which was part of the Russian Tsarist Empire Pale of Settlement at the time. So technically he would not most likely not be considered "Russian" these days.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rnjl For This Useful Post: