Thread: Reshaping a New Gibson Neck (in Tampa Bay, FL area)

Default Reshaping a New Gibson Neck (in Tampa Bay, FL area)

A friend will soon be receiving the new Sam Bush inspired '34 Fern F-5. He received one about 2 weeks ago and discovered a crack underneath the finish of the neck so he immediately returned it to the dealer. The replacement will arrive in the next few days and he was asking me if I know of a luthier here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida who could reshape and refinish the neck. Apparently this mandolin has the wider neck profile of the Sam Bush models and he would like it to be more like a standard F-5. Any recommendations on someone in this area? I don't know of anybody and frankly suggested that he custom order it with an F-5 neck from Gibson so as not to void the warranty. I don't think he liked my suggestion. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Default Re: Reshaping a New Gibson Neck (in Tampa Bay, FL area)

I don't think you will get it reshaped to typical F5 width at the fingerboard. You can give it a more V shape and maybe thin the neck front to back a bit, but to reduce the width is a VERY MAJOR job that only a very experienced professional should do. Even then, the cost for a job like that would be exorbitant. If he wants the neck thinner like a regular F5 he needs to order one that way.

To make it thinner across you would have to remove the binding, remove the neck from the instrument, thin the neck to the width and then make the rest of the neck match the shape of the new profile. Then the headstock would have to be worked on where the neck joins to ensure it was right. The neck would have to be reset, the fingerboard rerouted for binding, rebound, and the the neck refinished. It is a much more difficult job than one would imagine. There are a ton of things one does not think about or realize when you take on a job like this.

In addition, it would void the warranty and alter the tone of the mandolin. It would be a TON cheaper to have the mandolin built the way he wants it than to go through all that. On the other hand, if it is just reprofiling the sides of the neck to more of a V shape, that can be done with the existing neck, but not a job for someone who does not really know what they are doing. The last thing you want is someone going too far and the truss rod popping through the neck. Believe it or not, I have seen that more than once.

In any case, I would still suggest on a new mandolin he would be far better off ordering what he wants. Even making the neck more of a V could void the warranty.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I second Big Joe's opinions. It may look simple to reshape the neck but it is fraught with risk. I too have seen the truss rod exposed when some brave soul filed away on a neck to get it "Just Right". When I build a custom mandolin, that is one of my specifications, Standard contour, V, or C. I would certainly void my warranty if someone did such a sacrilege. This is a major reason why custom luthiers exist; we build what you want.

Hi Len B.,
    I've recently purchased a Gibson, Sam Bush model because I like the wider neck and the profile. I it has large fret markers, a radius fret board and a 1 foot bridge, but other than that it seems to be just a production F5G. I'm curious why your friend went with the Sam Bush model? I'm a big fan of Mr. Bush, but if it had a narrow neck I wouldn't have been interested in purchasing this model. Let us know how it all turns out. We have a good many fine luthiers on our site here that could have modified a F5G with large fret markers, a radius fret board and bridge for far less money. I wish your buddy the best. Finding a mandolin a guy can be happy with isn't as easy as you would think it would be.

I was thinking what jody just said. The Sam Bush is know for it's wider neck. Doesn't make sense to order one and then have it shaved down with everything else available. Then again I've made my share of interesting purchases. And got rid of some of the best ones. Live and learn.
    mikeguy

Tell him to get used to it. Why would you order a Sam Bush if you don't like the wider fretboard? It doesn't make sense to me. I would never do anything that would void the warranty.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Hi again,

He is not ordering the Sam Bush signature model but rather the new SB inspired '34 Fern F-5. Different animal altogether except the neck profile is wider than any Fern F-5 he's ever played (or maybe not, I haven't seen it nor played it yet). I'll forward all of your comments to him. I'm not sure how much he wants to alter the neck. It could just be re-profiling from/to a V shape or making it much narrower, I don't know. He's is not a subscriber to this forum but I'll certainly encourage him to join.

Thanks for your collective insight,
    Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I'd also encourage your friend to leave the neck alone completely.The comments above,especially regarding voiding the Gibson warranty are really valid points & it could spell big trouble if anything went wrong during the neck re-profiling work. I have 2 mandolins,one with a neck 1/8" wider than the other,& i have to say that it does make for easier fingering,just that tiny amount makes a big difference. Do your friend a real favour & persuade him to accept the instrument as it was meant to be,after all,he's a lucky guy to be getting a Gibson Mandolin in the first place,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Why is your friend buying a mandolin with a neck profile he doesn't like ? why not get one he does like and can play ?

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Thanks again for all of your input. I've forwarded the url for this discussion to him and encouraged him to join the forum. Perhaps he'll do so today. He did email me yesterday with some bad news from his Gibson dealer. Apparently, this mandolin (his 2nd one, the first was replaced by Gibson due to a neck crack) had a problem with the f holes being placed wrong so the bridge was not centered on the top. Needless to say, he is very discouraged.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Sounds like a good time to bail out.

It think that fate seems to be giving your friend some time to have a good look around for an instrument that's suitable for him & doesn't come with any build issues. I don't know what his price bracket is,but if he's in the Gibson 'price band',then there's lots of other makers to look at. Tell him to have a good look through the 'classified ads.on here - there are some terrific instruments available,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

It's time to revive this thread and put a slightly different spin on it. My friend received his 3rd SB inspired 1934 Gibson Fern F-5 and while he is happy with the neck shape and profile and especially with the sound on this one, he sent it back to Gibson because the frets (6 thru 10) in the middle of the neck were noticeably lower than frets 1 thru 4 and frets 12 and above. It seems that there's a dip in the middle of the neck that was (semi) addressed with a truss rod adjustment and recrowning the lower and upper frets. He wants to find a knowledgeable luthier to fully address the frets and do a great setup.

I can't think of anybody in the Tampa, FL area who I would trust with this kind of a job. Does anybody know of someone in this area. Randy Wood comes to mind but he could take a fairly long time. Anybody else come to mind? If not, while he's not a local, Big Joe Vest is the name I'll suggest to him.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

This is what my gripe is with Gibson. When you are charging upwards of $10,000 for a mandolin, there is no excuse for that type of workmanship. You shouldn't have to send a new instrument to a luthier for anything other than possibly small tweaks in setup. That's ridiculous.

If they can't get one of three right, it seems to me like the best course of action would be to get his money back and park it somewhere else.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Len...
    I would be happy to help. We can turn it around quickly as well. I am sorry he is having this problem with his mandolin. It should not be that way. On the other hand, if he likes the mandolin and everything else is right, this is not an insurmountable obstacle to get the mandolin of one's dreams. It is unfortunate to have to go through that process, but at least in the end he will have a great instrument.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Len...
    I would be happy to help. We can turn it around quickly as well. I am sorry he is having this problem with his mandolin. It should not be that way. On the other hand, if he likes the mandolin and everything else is right, this is not an insurmountable obstacle to get the mandolin of one's dreams. It is unfortunate to have to go through that process, but at least in the end he will have a great instrument.
    Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for your reply. I am recommending your shop very highly to this friend. He very much likes this mandolin other than the setup/playability issues. I still haven't seen it yet (his wife is seriously ill and he is quite distracted with her treatment regimen) so I can't make 1st hand comments but do hope to test drive it very soon.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I finally got to check out the new Bush inspired '34 F-5 Fern at our Wed. nite BG jam and it is a beautiful piece of wood and sounds darn good for new instrument. It doesn't play too badly either but there is a noticeable dip in the middle of the neck. We placed a steel straight edge ruler along the frets between the G strings and it made contact with the first couple of frets and with at approx. the 14th fret. It's not just in need of a truss rod adjustment because you can see the fret crowns are at different heights, all over the place. Not too good and made a bit worse by the fact that the bridge was raised rather high to avoid fret rattle. It was made playable by compromise at best. It should be much better given that he spent over $7K for a brand new mandolin. He is committed to getting it done right and it will be a damn fine mandolin when he's through.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Hi Len,

I am the new builder in the Tampa Bay area. I live just south of you in Gulfport. I sent you a private message yesterday about set ups and getting togather and talking mandolins.

Dennis Neild Davis
    Neild mandolins

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I saw your PM and sent a reply to you. Sounds like a great idea and would love to get together with you. I'm anxious to check out your current build of mandolins.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

ps - I included my home and work phone numbers. I'll PM my email address as well

Your friend has much more patience than I do!!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Your friend has much more patience than I do!!
    My friend is a stubborn New England transplant (like me). He's had his heart set on this mandolin for quite a while and paid for it 4 months ago. He is now determined to do whatever is necessary to make it right. It will be well worth the effort since it is a beautiful looking and sounding mandolin.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL