Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $500 F-5 Mandolin

Default $500 F-5 Mandolin

If you had $500-600 (with tax/case/shipping) in your pocket and wanted to buy an F-5 (knowing that it would be a starter... not a Weber), what would you buy?

Just curious... OK, I admit it. I'm READY TO BUY but want to make an informed decision.

Thanks,

Scott

Default Re: $500 F-5 Mandolin

I'd take a look at the Rover RM-75.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I know somebody will complain about this, but it needs to be said. Get an A. I'll say it again: Get an A.

At that price level, you can get an excellent playing and sounding A style from Eastman or Kentucky, or you can get a vastly inferior instrument with a scroll. It's really that simple.

I knew that was coming
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Look for an Epiphone MM-70 (made in japan prior to 84) or a similar vintage Washburn. I see them both on ebay from time to time.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I recently purchased a RM75 from The Mandolin Store all because I wanted the F style, plus the price was incredible. For the price range the RM75 is definitely the way to go. I like the old color of the RM75 a bit better though

I wouldn't buy an F model meant to sell in that range. I might buy a $500 F if it were a real steal, but that's the only way.

I'm with Capt. E. For the money you quoted I'd go used and try to find an old Jap or Korean made mando with the inclusion of an Alvarez. If you could stretch just a little past your upper limit you might find a used Eastman 515. I've seen several go for under $700 in the past year. Keep in mind that if you buy any of these mandos used you will more than likely get your money back when you decide to upgrade.
    That being said, if you insist on a new one I'd go with the Rover RM-75. They're always recommended on a thread like this.

Since your question had nothing to do with choosing between an F or an A-stlye I see no point in giving my opinion about it.
    ......Jeff

Rover RM-75s are pretty nice for the money. Occasionally you can find used Kentucky 630, 675, etc for this price pt (same company, Saga, as makes Rover). My 675-S is all solid and sounds great, and I got it for under 500 as new B stock. Avoid ebay unless you're buying from a dealer, though, as I've been burned before (lured by a reasonable, not too good price, "like new" condition with no issues, 100% feedback, and a 100% return policy/guarantee, all of which went poof when I emailed to say I was returning it because of the chipped nut and separating fretboard.

Other considerations include Michael Kelly, which puts out some real gems but also some duds in this range, and Epiphone MM-50, which at least has a solid top...I've played a few of those that sounded and played great, but as with all imports in this range, quality ranges from pretty darn good to pretty darn stinky. I've played a couple of nice Washburn Jethro Burns models also, but have played several that were not at all impressive.

Good luck!
    Chuck

The japanese made Epi MM-70 is much better than the fairly common MM-50's. The 70's/80's Washburn "Jethro Burns" may be somewhat better than the Epi. They are very similar.
    The Epi does have a somewhat narrow fretboard and thin frets. So it may not be exactly what you are looking for. It is, afterall, a "copy" of a Gibson F12. Very fancy with the hearts and flowers inlay etc.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

Look for a used Easmtman 505 (a style) or 515 F style. They have slightly narrower necks than normal and have skinny fret wire. I, however, like the feel and sound of many Eastmans. YMMV.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The varieties of (intelligent) opinions shared above demonstrate the impossibility of a "best" choice. Any choice involves tradeoffs. Generally speaking, used is always a better deal than new. But ultimately, to make a choice instead of a guess you need to hold, feel, and listen to the mandolin you may be buying - not "the same model" in a store before buying online. Kiss your bride before the wedding. Anything else is a crapshoot.

It's actually simpler than we make it. The question was simple. Some answer the question, some choose to change the question and provide an answer to that question. The OP didn't ask "What type of mandolin should I buy?" or "How do I decide what mandolin to buy?", they asked "If you had $500-600 (with tax/case/shipping) in your pocket and wanted to buy an F-5 (knowing that it would be a starter... not a Weber), what would you buy?" The answer is simply what F-5 model mandolin for $500 to $600.00 would you buy if you wanted to buy a starter mandolin. The answer to buy some other style or to pay more changes the question. While the answer to play them all and see what you like is good advice, it doesn't answer the question. Neither does the statement of what you wouldn't buy. If you wouldn't buy an F model is this price range then you don't have an answer for the original question. This gets back to Allen's ham sandwich theory.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

You guys are slipping!.... No one's mentioned a Mid-Mo yet.
    Steve Perry
    Sumi SF5 Birdseye

"Quit thinkin'... Just play"

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Mmmm. Pastrami...

If a poster asks the question " when I follow the lemmings off the cliff, what color tie should I wear ?", I feel obligated to mention that maybe he ought to find another group to associate with...
    But to answer the question, I would say the best one I could find for $ 500 !!

Blog Entries

Actually the Mid Mo F5 is a real steal when they come up on the used market.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The street price on the Kentucky KM-630 is within your range. And one more thumbs up for the RM-75.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Getting my feet wet

i have to say that Dean Johnson gave me a great deal on my Michael Kelly. He made sure it was setup and played well before it shipped. Also I might at he sells B stock's, which I bought. I could care less about cosmetic problems, it is my first mando after all and I am going to beat it up. Also if I hated (which I don't) playing it I wasn't out a ton of cash.

I have no affiliation with them either...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    If a poster asks the question " when I follow the lemmings off the cliff, what color tie should I wear ?", I feel obligated to mention that maybe he ought to find another group to associate with...
    But to answer the question, I would say the best one I could find for $ 500 !!

I don't think the analogy works. Running off a cliff is unarguably stupid, but not so buying an inexpensive f-style. I know it's ill-advised in many people's opinion (mine too) but I agree with Mike E. Answer the question or not, but don't try to change the question. Somebody said "get an A" needed to be said, but does it? The OP has probably heard this already. If he wants an F, he wants one. Nothing wrong with that.

Here's one possibility if you're lucky. NFI

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eastman-515-mand...QQcmdZViewItem

C'mon, Mandolirius, I was just having a little fun ! It is a discussion board and I offered an opinion related to the post. I was just sniping at the scold for not simply answering the question. I, too, was searching for my first F model not too many years ago and recieved lots of help from folks here on the 'cafe. If it were not for a lot of good input, I would not have known that an A sounds as good as an F or that certain makers tend to have certain characteristics.....I really enjoy all of these discussions related to mandolins and folks' search for the right one. I hope the poster has much success and locates the mandolin that is right for him and gets a great deal on it....sorry to mess up the thread ....I'm going fishin' now....
    Last edited by jimbob; May-29-2009 at 10:49am.

Destroyer of Mandolins

How about an MK Festival Pack? F-5 style, solid wood, decent tuners, case, strap, picks, and a tuner for five clams. It's a beginner's mando, but well...MK quality has improved recently and it's a whole set up for the price in the original post.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I've played them all, and the Rover RM75 is the best F style mandolin in this price range hands down. None of the other brands at this price point will consistently deliver the tone of the Rover.

Thanks,
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

I'd look for a used mando, about $100 below your top price (so $400-$500), a USED MK, Kentucky, Fullerton, Eastman (if you're lucky), or maybe the Rover (never seen one, but that doesn't mean much), make sure it's all solid woods with no brutal issues (no serious cracks, badly warped neck, etc.), and expect to pay the remaining $100-$150 on a good setup from a luthier. This will get you new strings, correct bridge fitting issues, intonation, action, and help the tone and playability a lot.

Obviously, it's a lot better if you can play an instrument beforehand (especially if you can bring someone knowledgeable along for the ride), but otherwise you may want to stick with reputable dealer listings (Mandolin Store, Elderly, Gruhn's, etc.) rather than buying sight unseen. That being said, the MC Classifieds tends to be populated with trustworthy types.

Good luck!
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC