Thread: "Cunla Kludges"

Default "Cunla Kludges"

Ever intrigued by the look, feel, and especially sound of this very cool family of instruments, as an enthusiastic newcomer to them who is grateful to be custodian of some nice and unique examples, and as one well aware of my (ahem) musical shortcomings, I thought to pass along these versions of the "Cunla" tune to illustrate the different sounds. It would be a nice thing were others to kick in with your own versions if you are so inclined, particularly those doing some embellishments. So, to get started, here's the Waldzither (v2) circa 1920s and restored by UK luthier Tony Dixon, as illustrated in this previous thread. The sample catches the sound pretty nicely:

Last edited by Markkunkel; Jun-07-2009 at 6:41am.

Default "Cunla Kludges" pt II: Kestrel mandola

and here is Gene's wonderful Kestrel mandola being mistreated but sounding very very good ("Cunla" does too, she's in G this time):

Default "Cunla Kludges" pt III: Taylor cittern

This is the splendid Herb Taylor cittern, striking bearclaw Sitka over Indian Rosewood and with all other kinds of cool features that you can see described here This one seems to capture the sound of the instrument (presently tuned GDAEB) particularly nicely:

THANKS, Herb!

Default "Cunla Kludges" pt. IV: Nyberg Cittern

and here in conclusion is this very special 23" cittern from Lawrence Nyberg that just arrived here last week and is already bringing so much joy. You can see more pictures and a build thread here if you're so inclined (and it's worth a visit, I think). Here's the sprite on this Canadian wonder:

Me, I'm off to practice and to work on my "mandolin face" (yikes!). Looking forward to others' contributions (kludges or not).

MK

Default Re: "Cunla Kludges"

Mark,
    Wow, thanks for the ABCD comparison between your mando family instruments. It really demonstrates the tone and timbre of each one. They all sound great, but that Waldzither has some nice vintage mojo to my ear. Do you try to play all of them at sessions?

Another really great comparison from a fine selection of instruments!

Thanks for those, John.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Very interesting CBOM tasting - that Nyberg sounds quite new and remote but promising, I guess you have much to look forward to once it starts to open up, apart from its fascinatingly alien looks

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Mark,
    Wow, thanks for the ABCD comparison between your mando family instruments. It really demonstrates the tone and timbre of each one. They all sound great, but that Waldzither has some nice vintage mojo to my ear. Do you try to play all of them at sessions?
    Thanks, Steve! It is cool to hear all of them, and you're right, the WZ has a very unique sound and vibe and mojo to it. It works great for the kind of music I try to play.

As for sessions, alas, none nearby, and I have yet to make the trip into Atlanta to check out the very nice ones there. I need to practice a fair bit before doing so, I'm thinking.

Mark

Thanks, John and Bertram. It has been an inspiration to follow your very nice restoration work of your Waldzither, John, and to benefit from afar with your work on string gauges and bridges and other things.

And Bertram, always a joy to hear your perspectives and of course to enjoy and be challenged by your sound and video clips.

I had to get the Nyberg back farther from the inadequate camcorder mic to get the entire instrument in the frame, and so the volume on the recording is less than the volume of the instrument. It's plenty loud and full! And I agree with you, Bertram, once it finds its full voice, look out. By then I'll have Cunla tickling my toes, indeed.

Mark

Ah, one more thing...that t-shirt.

Guy Clark, a long-time teacher and inspiration and poetic voice, has crafted some lovely guitars in addition to crafting his breathtaking songs. Recently on finishing each one he has taken to pricking his thumb and signing the label inside. I guess that's what honest artists always do, one way or another, is to bring some of their life to their art, and I imagine that at some level my choice to wear that particular t-shirt while celebrating these pieces of playable art was not entirely accidental (although it only occurred to me this morning). Here's to artists and art...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Dark.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	43118  

Quote Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
    Guy Clark, a long-time teacher and inspiration and poetic voice, has crafted some lovely guitars in addition to crafting his breathtaking songs. Recently on finishing each one he has taken to pricking his thumb and signing the label inside. I guess that's what honest artists always do, one way or another, is to bring some of their life to their art, and I imagine that at some level my choice to wear that particular t-shirt while celebrating these pieces of playable art was not entirely accidental (although it only occurred to me this morning). Here's to artists and art...
    Funnily enough, I signed my latest restoration project yesterday in a similar manner.... in my case the bloody fingerprint was on the nice new finish, and I didn't exactly intend to put it there... come to that in my case I don't suppose it increased the value of the instrument much either

John.

Blog Entries

Great great stuff. I would love it if more folks did this kind of A-B-(C-D) comparisions.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Very nice comparison of some good instruments. I particularly like the Waldzither on this particular tune.

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff and Richard, and I hope some others share their instruments' sounds as well. PLAY, after all, is the verb in front of music, hmm?

MK

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Funnily enough, I signed my latest restoration project yesterday in a similar manner....John.
    Well, John, sounds like you're sailing the same seas as the author of that particular fingerprint, so:

Build you a boat from those two hands
    it'll be a fair curve from a noble plan
    So let the chips fall where they will
    You've got boats to build...

-- (Guy Clark, "Boats to Build")

Happy building to you!

MK