Thread: Kansas K-MA1B Mandolin

Default Kansas K-MA1B Mandolin

I am new to this forum, and new to the mandolin. I am wondering if i should purchase a Kansas K-MA1B Mandolin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
    that i found on amazon. Its $67, comes with a few things and perfect for my price range. Ive played mandolin one time before and was completely hooked! I havent found any other info on this type of mandolin... If i dont get this one, ill get a Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin... which ive read isnt the greatest, but once again great price range and i just need something i can learn on and beat up a bit (not that i will but you never know what can happen!)

Thanks again, and ill be posting again soon!
    -bh

Edit: well i bought it any way, but from ebay, and slightly higher price, but a better deal overall. I look forward to posting pics of this cheapy beaut. And i also wanted to say hello to the community! I cant wait to start playing my mando!
    Last edited by bhGreen; Jun-07-2009 at 4:41pm.

Default Re: Kansas K-MA1B Mandolin

Found this on the Acoustic Guitar Forum:

Advertising quote: "Kansas guitars are exclusively distributed worldwide by Westheimer Corp. Kansas Guitars strives to have unique fretted instruments that are carefully quality-controlled. The guitars are affordably priced. Quality has been an important feature of Kansas guitars since their beginning in 1927." Westheimer also distributes Cort Guitars. I was able to find Kansas Guitars at online catalog sites like Target and Wards (I thought they were out of business). I would assume they are made by Cort.

So: Kansas instruments are apparently Asian imports, labeled to be sold at discount stores such as Target. I have no idea what "their beginning in 1927" refers to; the Mugwumps directory of musical instrument makers doesn't list a "Kansas," though there's a "Kansas City Guitar & Mandolin Co." a long time ago. There are many many "specialty" nameplates for specific retail chains or catalog stores that are manufactured by instrument factories in China, Indonesia etc. Other than bearing different names, they're probably pretty standard designs; for the price you mention, almost certainly a laminated (plywood) instrument. Doesn't mean you can't learn on it, but it would make sense to have a qualified instrument tech check it for set-up. The lack of the word "solid" in the description almost guarantees plywood, but it does have an adjustable bridge (though apparently no truss rod), so there's some ability to tweak its set-up.

Later: "quality has been an important feature?" What are the other features? I mean, I would say that quality is basically the only feature when selecting something to purchase...one might say "price," but a low-quality instrument's no bargain no matter how cheap it is. Hope your Kansas is a decently-made, playable student instrument, and that it helps you get familiar with the mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Kansas K-MA1B Mandolin

Hello, I just got a mandolin and joined this forum just so I could share a review. I got the Kansas K-MA1B and think it is a great value. Now, I'm not a "mandolin" player and have only ever played a couple, but I have been playing guitar for over forty years and have had lots of great instruments. The only other mandolin I ever played was a 1936 Gibson A style and that was recently. (I enjoyed it a lot, which led to my surprise Christmas present.) Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is a well made instrument and it sounds really good.) Mandolins can cost a pretty good penny, but if you want to dip your toes in the water you don't have to spend a fortune. Save a couple of thousand dollars and give one of these a shot. I'd never "set up" a mandolin before, but it was a pretty straight forward process and within an hour I had the intonation set very well. This thing is fun.