Thread: Restringing a Weber Mandocello

Default Restringing a Weber Mandocello

I finally got around to changing the strings on my Gallatin mandocello today for the first time. The Weber tailpiece was an incredible pain to deal with when I changed the C strings. Basically, the winding down by the loop end was too thick to easily make it through the gap, which caused the loop to ride precariously high on the tailpiece post as I brought tension to the string. I had to use needlenose pliers to slightly bend the loop down, and then I had to use a hammer to finally tap the loop onto the post to finish driving the end of the coil through the tailpiece. No damage was done --- to the m'cello, anyway.

Do any of you know of an easier way to put those C strings on?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Default Re: Restringing a Weber Mandocello

Yep,its a pain on my 6 month old weber Gallatin oct.The same.Seems like I saw on their web site, giving instructions on stringing them.Bending the loop down etc.We arn't the only ones.

Hi, all.

This 'problem' is not reserved to Weber and other modern instruments.
    I'm playing a vintage Gibson mandocello and restringing the C string has always been a pain in you-know-where. Or lower.
    The original tuners finally wore out and I had new Waverly's put on.
    I hoped the restringing-the-C-string problem would be solved with the new tuners, but, alas, it was not to be.
    It seems the tuners are 'universal.' that is, you get tuners that are designed for the whole mandolin family (cept mandobass).
    It don't matter whether you're playing a mandocello, mandola or mandolin. One size fits all strings.
    It don't work that way, but there it is.
    I've fought the temptation to kinda ream the hole 'a bit' larger for the C strings, but the mere thought of possibly wrecking $600 tuners stops me every time as it did when the original tuners were in place.

(sigh) as Charlie Brown would utter.

Anybody fare better?
    Greg

Thanks for the insight. I guess this time, it isn't me.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories