Thread: Looking for a band

Default Looking for a band

I want so much to find my way into a bluegrass band. I've been to some musician hookup sights and most often I find a few people with a passing interest in bluegrass, or I get an E-mail of suggested ads to contact like 'the black death narcos', or such. -come on, play together, work with your differences-, hmmm.
    I've been to jams with my guitar, but not my mandolin yet, mostly because my main interest is songwriting, and jams seem more a place for standards and the familiar, which I'd agree is best suited for that setting, so people can more easily take part. I need that too of course, those roots are my main source of inspiration and learning, and I do want to get out to some jams but as far as finding others looking for a band, music websites seem the best bet to me. Only thing is the lack of bluegrass musicians. does anyone know of any good sites for this. I am in the Toronto, Canada area.

Default Re: Looking for a band

Paul,

Any luck finding anything? I also live in Toronto.

I would suggest that you go to as many jams as you can and listen more than playing and when you hear a picker that sounds like he/she would be able to play what you like then take names and have a closed session get together and teach him/her the songs that you have written...It`s hard to show songs to others when playing a mandolin as they can`t follow the chords that you are playing like they can if you are playing a guitar....It will take a while to do this but the rewards are worth it to have pickers that are all on the same wave length....

I have been putting bands together for over forty years and in the last 8-10 years I have finally found four pickers that all get along great and love what I do and that makes all of us happy....

Good luck in locating some....I wish I knew of a site where you could find some info on how to locate some pickers....Google Bluegrass in Toronto and see if anything comes up....

Blog Entries

Go to as many jams as you can and get heard, so that folks will tap you for joining their band as well.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....