Thread: OK, last one (for now ;-)

Default OK, last one (for now ;-)

Dear friends,

while I occasionally get the nagging feeling that I'm "flooding the market", I just can't keep the music from flowing... OK, then: here is my last tidbit-- at least for this season, as we leave on vacation in a few weeks.

http://www.paperclipdesign.com/vk/

[Posted, as always, courtesy of Jim's boundless generosity.]

The new piece is the last one listed, Studio a quattro. It is a study in four "voices" (in the technical, contrapuntal sense of the term): the main melody is in the middle, on the D and A courses; it is accompanied by two lower, harmonic, arpeggiated voices, and "peppered" from above by a descant, an upper voice that "comments" on the melody and/or counter-balances the lower voices. This does not mean, of course, that ALL four voices are sounding at any point, all at the same time-- that would have been an insufferably dense, heavy texture IMHO. But if you break down the patterns into registers (soprano, alto, tenor, and bass) and follow the figuration, you will surely hear the four voices involved-- all four for the "price" of one, four-in-one-mandolin!

This sort of polyphonic playing is, of course, the daily bread of organists, pianists, and (increasingly so over the past decades) guitarists, too. So, I composed this little tidbit in order to encourage mandolinists to think in such complex, rich, contrapuntal terms as well. Such musical skills would then foster a "deeper" reading of the monumental scores of e.g. J. S. Bach, whose works for one, unaccompanied instrument virtually always involve such "composite melodies". I humbly aim to aid, NOT to match!

Come to think of it... ... some extraordinarily pro-active individual(s) may consider concocting a "Student Sonatina" for mandolin, by starting with this, most recent study, following and contrasting it with Apres de Beriot as a slow-ish "second movement" of sorts, then finishing with the flourish of Studio Fiorillesco. All three are in G-major, so harmonic coherence won't be an issue; all three blur the line between "original" composition (which these can hardly be said to be) and arrangement (although only the chordal study is candidly after a specific, pre-existing study of de Beriot). All I am claiming is that this may be a valid, ad hoc combination into a "student concert-piece", a genre in and of itself. There were lots, and lots, and LOTS of such pieces composed over the past few centuries...

Enjoy!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Default Re: OK, last one (for now ;-)

nice... I'm going to add this to my practice... currently working on Bach's Sonata in Dm... this is a nice complement... thanks!

Thank you!

Yup, that's the idea: you hone your multi-layer skills on a fairly simple, pedagogical abstraction such as this little study, within a "controlled environment", then you take on the real challenges of Bach and other masters. I will be happy if I have helped by bridging this transition from our habitual, one-line melodic playing, across to Bach's masterpieces.

Cheers,

Victor

Hi Victor!

A wonderful piece again and what a nice idea to combine the three studies you composed sofar as a solo three movement mandolin (student) Sonatina.

Thanks and greetings,

Alex

Thank you, Alex!

Yes, come to think of it, as there were countless "student concertos" in the past centuries, this can be a "student sonatina"; nothing earth-shaking, of course, but a simple, didactic piece whose three "movements" are intended to teach polyphony, chords, and figuration respectively. With all due modesty, the idea seems more plausible the more I think of it...

Cheers,

Victor

This is - I guess - as close that you get to Bach, the different variations are really convincing. The name could be "Study in the style of Bach". I think this piece is good enough for the concert hall - as a concert-prelude or something.

What we always must remember is that music and art is not sport. The quality of music cannot be rated by technical standards - this being a student-piece and that being a concert-piece. It is the expression of music itself that is the "quality", not how many fingers you have to brake to play it.

Thank you, Simen! (I dare say that the Cafe is just about the ONLY place on earth where composers are kind to each other.)

You are, of course, right: the "student" attribute simply means that the composer's intention was educational, pedagogical. Then again (one might argue) The Well Tempered Clavier was such a "student" work (HA!) for Johann Sebastian's sons to practice at home and learn their craft. Hmm... so much for "ranking" of musical works. You are right, again. Quite honestly, I'll be happy if people find ANY use whatsoever for these little pieces of mine; I won't be the one to say what they are "appropriate" (or not) for. Hey, I'm just the composer. What do I know?

Cheers,

Victor

NICE!

A little too advanced for me at the moment, but give me a couple more months...
    2009 Calace Model 24

Thank you, Christopher. That's exactly the idea: something to work on. And, a few months after that, you can perhaps start tackling the Suites, Sonatas, and Partitas of J. S. Bach. Music is all a growing process, one step at a time, whereby one's experience and enjoyment of life is immeasurably enriched. If I've built just one, tiny step along the way, hey... that's good enough for now.

Cheers,

Victor