Thread: Waldzither?

Default Waldzither?

I'm considering a Bohem Waldzither. Does anyone here have any experience? I know Andy Irving used one, and he's pretty much my fav mandolin player, though I don't know if that is what he is playing on the first Planxty record.

Anyway, I was thinking of tuning it CGcgd and capoing up a whole. This would alow me to use the DAd for accompanyment, but still have the mandolin range for melody. Would this tuning work, or too much tension? Last thing I need is another busted top!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waldzither?

Hi Justin. There are some threads on these in the CBOM (Cittern, Zouk, Octave Mandolin Section) of the forum. Here's a thread on a restoration. And here's one with sound clips too along with discussion.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Default Re: Waldzither?

Hi Justin!
    I have several old Böhm-Waldzithern(s), three with the original glass-bridges.
    They produce a wonderful sound, but it is dangerous, to use modern waldzither-strings. String-tension can cause cracks, not necessarily on top. Maybe you can get strings with lower tension (minus 20%).
    For example Lenzner Saiten: http://www.lenzner-saiten.de/

Tuning: Go to the cittern-group: http://cittern.ning.com/ and then to the Waldzither Group. There is a lot of useful information about waldzither-tunings.

Holger