Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson Sam Bush strings

Default Gibson Sam Bush strings

I put Sam Bush Strings on my Kentucky KM-1000 at the suggestion of the shop where I bought my mando. They don't sound good to me at all, I was expecting more sustain and a richer tone. Sounds kind of tine (If that makes sense).

I like the sound of my coated J-75's on my KM-630, just more full sounding.

Do I leave them on and wait?

Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush strings

Quote Originally Posted by rerwin View Post
    I put Sam Bush Strings on my Kentucky KM-1000 at the suggestion of the shop where I bought my mando. They don't sound good to me at all, I was expecting more sustain and a richer tone. Sounds kind of tine (If that makes sense).

Of course. Unless you just like changing strings. To my ears, the Bush Monel strings do not change until they get really really old and then the unwounds just wear out.

That reminds me, I need to change my strings.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I sometimes use them on my early 50's F-5, they take a few days for the metallic newness to wear off. On my F-5 they produce more ringing, sustain than J74s, but seem to have a little less volume and not as fat of a sound. It just depends on what you are looking for. Strings are pretty inexpensive, experiment til you find what pleases your ear.

Well if you can change them fast enough and you dont like them I would change them. It takes me a hour to change them so I just leave the ones i dont like on

I just ordered some more sets of the Bush strings for my KM 1000. I have had and have a set of
    J75's on right now. I really like them but the Bush strings seemed to produce what I have called a "vintage" sound that I really like. I don't particularly like light guage strings on my mando. The J75's on my Eastman 615 really sound good. Someone referred to the Eastmans as having a "modern sound", and I think that may be true. The KM 1000 with the Bush strings provide the vintage sound for me. When I get the new strings in they'll be going on right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BRaySims View Post
    the Bush strings seemed to produce what I have called a "vintage" sound that I really like. I don't particularly like light guage strings on my mando.
    I use them on my Collings MF5 for that same reason, except I change out those wimpy .014 A strings for .015s or .016's. The Sams seem to have a crisper sound on the bottom ens and seem to kast longer too

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I tried a set of Sam's and I didn't like them. I used to use J74s but I tried some EXP74s and I really like them, so that's probably what I'll stick with.
    Living’ in the Mitten

If you don't like 'em, change 'em. I liked the first set I tried on my kentucky 675-S because they took some of the "tinnyness" out, but haven't used them since because on that mando the A courses were a pain to keep in tune...agree that their tone's not going to change until they get really old, and my pair lasted forever (well, literally months, anyway).

Chuck

I use Elixers

Quote Originally Posted by rerwin View Post

I think it actually says on the package that they don't have the sustain of a phospher bronze string. Sam likes them because he plays a stacatto style. I like them on my F9, don't like them on the gold rush. I use the EXP 75s on that.

I love the Sam Bush Monels....

They have made all my mandolins sound better over the years....
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

I really like the SB's on my Gibson Bibey. I switched on my teacher's suggestion to get rid of a little sustain and " zingy" sound. They make my mando sound a lot better ( to me)....more dry and woody. The thing I like most about them is that they have lasted a Loooooonnnnnngggggg time !

Registered Pontificator Roger Kunkel's Avatar

Give em a couple of days of playing. In my experience, they mellow out dramatically and produce a pretty cool vintage like tone after that.

I got 6 sets several years ago, Labeled as ML161, same thing ,
    they may have been offered as such,
    before SB (or I) was Born, his name used, now, to help sell them.
    unlike bronze, Monel is tarnish proof. a particular alloy of nickel & other metals.

on my Mix A5 they seem to stay in tune for a very long time, too.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Well, my usual dislike for almost anything new from Gibson has been temporarily replaced with happiness. I just installed a set of Sam Bush Monels and I really like them. I love the idea that they are so different than phosphor bronze. Sustain is overrated IMO mostly because you never need it for bluegrass playing. Chop is king! The Monels are very woody and they feel nice on the fingertips too. I'm not done with P.B. but can see a real need for using both depending on mood.

Gibson makes an 80/20 set that is killer if you want something in between monels and phosphor bronze.

Gary, you need to get out more often! You've never tried a set of Sam Bush strings?!?!?

I bought a box of them a few years ago, and didn't like them. I used them up. It helped me remember to change strings every month!

Now I'm back with D'addarios.
    Mike Crater

Gibson F9

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kunkel View Post
    Give em a couple of days of playing. In my experience, they mellow out dramatically and produce a pretty cool vintage like tone after that.
    +1 on that.

If you like dry & woody, SB monels are the ticket.
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

No Mon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kunkel View Post
    you are right!!!

Nolan maybe you're right. I really like GHS silk and Bronze too. Like I said, I'm happy that the monel is sooo different to P.B. BUT still very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by testore View Post
    Nolan maybe you're right. I really like GHS silk and Bronze too. Like I said, I'm happy that the monel is sooo different to P.B. BUT still very nice.
    I'm just teasing you Gary. Guys like me, I try new picks, strings, tone-gards, etc to get new sounds out of my mandolin. Guys like you just build a new mandolin when they want a new sound! I wish I could do that!

LOL. That may be somewhat true. I have about 25 picks, and a Tonegard. I just stopped when I found a few brands I like. I'm not sure what made me try the Bush strings. Happy I did though. Maybe you should order five mandolins from various builders to help spread your supply of strings and picks!

Love the SB's on my F-5, love the S&B on my F-2 (especially in GDGD tuning.) With all our mandos and all our ears, by comparison Humpty Dumpty was a together guy.

I really like them. I've got 74's on a couple (like those too). But all in all, it's Monels for me. I like the woody tone, longevity, etc. As far as the plain strings go, when they wear out ,change them! They're cheap and can be bought almost anywhere. I even have a set of Monel guitar strings and think I'm going to put them on a 46 Martin, but in that those strings aren't available anymore this is a serious decision. I wish Gibson would start producing them again.

Sammys Monels rule..the only string Ive used since 1985. Back then they were just called Gibson Monel Wound at $2.69 too! They are still a bargain.