Thread: Any mando interests in Firenze (Florence)

Default Any mando interests in Firenze (Florence)

Not being one to give much notice anymore these days, find myself in Florence (Firenze) in Italy between the 22/24th of July (next week)... anyone or place of mandolin interest that might be worthwhile for me to visit? I'll actually bring along an instrument (Dan Larson).

Default Re: Any mando interests in Firenze (Florence)

oh well, too late now. I did happen on the smallest violin/mandolin shop in the world, about the size of 3 phone booths linked up. Inside there were 2 copies of the Challen-Strad mandolino, one original milanese mandolin circa 1880 and a tall lady (luthier) who I spoke to in my crude italian for about 30 minutes before I realized that she was actually american (well, left USA about 30 years ago). I grabbed her biz card and once I get unpacked I'll post up the contact info... she makes historical mandolins, violins and does restoration.

Default Re: Any mando interests in Firenze (Florence)

That's pretty great Richard. I love the thought of two expat Americans conversing in a foreign language without realizing it.

Only in Florence can you "step into a nearby phone booth" and come out as Mandolino Man! "Able to play Vivaldi with or without a plectrum" :-)

Best,

Eric
    "The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893