Thread: Barber's Adagio for Strings

Default Barber's Adagio for Strings

Anyone know where I can find the mandolin tab for this great song?

Default Re: Barber's Adagio for Strings

I have grave doubts about whether it would work on mandolin, or with a group of mandolins. It's so dependent on long sustained tones. You could tremolo till your arm falls off, but I don't think the effect would be quite the same.

Anyway, this is where knowing how to read music can help.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I was having a hard time imagining the long violin parts done on a mandolin. As beautiful as those romantic styled pieces are, I still hear them on violins... Good luck. I'm sure you cna find sheet music for the violin and viola parts readily.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I believe that we played it in the New York Mandolin Orchestra whne I was in it, but I think we worked off the orchestra score. Lots of tremelo, of course.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It CAN be done! The PMO performed it some years ago, to an event hosted by the Rhode Island Composers Group, no less, and they proclaimed it an interesting success (I don't think they had ever heard a mandolin orchestra before - I think they were 'pleasantly surprised'.
    At this same meeting we performed "Aubade" which was written for the PMO by Barbara Kolb.