Thread: Bad tuners on Morgan Monroe MMS-8W

Default Bad tuners on Morgan Monroe MMS-8W

Hi all.
    I have a problem. I really hate the tuners on my Morgan Monroe MMS-8W mandolin. It is a shame because it is a good mandolin.

One of the knobs broke off. I contacted Morgan Monroe and got no answer, so I bought some cheap (bad) knobs off ebay. They work, but keep getting loose so I always have to have a screwdriver in my case. And the tuners are really bad, they are stiff and squeaky. Now I have contacted Morgan Monroe three times in the past four months and I get no answer at all. I am actually getting pissed off. I just need to know what kind of tuners would fit my mandolin.
    I read somewhere on the cafe that Grovers would fit, but the tuners on the mandolin have the shaft above the gears (never seen that before). So can anyone help me and tell me if I can get better tuners that would fit my Morgan Monroe MMS-8W?

Default Re: Bad tuners on Morgan Monroe MMS-8W

Gotoh tuners come in a worm gear over configuration and can be purchased from LMI here:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...andolin+Tuners

Or from Roger Siminoff here:

http://www.siminoff.net/parts/index....ex&cPath=23_25
    Gail Hester

Thanks. I have ordered me some Gotoh tuners, and cross my fingers on that. I personally assume anything is better that the current tuners. I can't understand why Morgan Monroe wouldn't put better tuners on their higher end mandolins.

Isn't it likely that the holes on the pegehad will not fit 100%, that is, that it will be wise to take it to a luthier to have them replaced?

The tuner shafts should fit just fine. The screw holes for the screws holding the tuners on might not fit. Easy enough to check. If they don't fit and you are not comfortable with pre-drilling new holes for the screws definitely take it to someone else.
    Bill Snyder

Hardware pick is all part of making the price-point, .. manufacturer got a good price on a pallet of cases of tuners from their source, so they go on the range. {i'm Guessing here}

but now that it's in your hands, you get to pick from the secondary market.

perhaps in the hands of a luthier a bit of minor shaving, peghead hole allignment, etc.
    ... , here and there, and the new ones can be made to work at their best.

that ol' YGWYPF.
    Last edited by mandroid; Jul-26-2009 at 2:57pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture