Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "planting"

Default Re: "planting"

I see what you mean. I went back and looked how I play and my Son says that somertimes I point the pick up and sometimes I point it down. Sometimes I play near the bridge, sometimes I play far away. I really do not pick any one way but I always plant. By the way, the video and sound came from a tiny still picture camera that also does video. My Weber sounds much better than that. I hope! Nick
    ntriesch

I stumbled across a youtube of Sierra Hull. She is definitely doing a lot of planting when she is playing leads.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Nick:

My compliments on your playing and your courage in putting it out there for all of us to see! I'm not in a position to make any actual critique your technique, for two reasons: First, I can't say my overall playing is any better than yours, so who am I to judge? And second, I can't get my video capture system to work well enough post a decent video of my own technique!

All I can do is notice something, not saying it's good or bad. I'm just comparing your planting technique and Steffy's, not to say any of us are expected to be on his level, but just that he has been offered up on this thread as a "paragon of planting!" As you can see from the YouTube video, even though he plants, his forearm and wrist are still very flexible and mobile. I would almost call his technique "pivoting," not planting, although that is semantics. Technically, he is indeed planting.

Conversely, I see your forearm and wrist being more stationary. It seems like you actually have to move your fingers a little to assist the up and down motion, although Steffy does that some also.

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from that, but it has been instructive for me. Thanks.

Thank's John. All I know is that planting seems to work for me. But there is always room for improvement! Maybe I should move around more. That's the best part of retirement! I have the time. But the best thing about all of this is I love playing my mandolin and this site makes me play more. Nick
    ntriesch

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    Thank's John. All I know is that planting seems to work for me. But there is always room for improvement! Maybe I should move around more. That's the best part of retirement! I have the time. But the best thing about all of this is I love playing my mandolin and this site makes me play more. Nick
    And that's the important part, to play with joy. It's your journey and your playing evolves according to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    And that's the important part, to play with joy. It's your journey and your playing evolves according to you.
    This is a fun thread. Nobody jumping and screaming. Just a couple of comments. Thanks for the video, John. I knew a guy way back in my Navy days who played an L-5 and his picking technique was just exactly like Steffey's! I always marveled because it looked so relaxed and natural. How ever I can't pick that way. But that's okay. I'm of the school of do it the way that suits you. Over on the banjo site we have guys taping their ring finger and pinkie together so they can plant both because "Earl" mentioned in his book that was the way to do it. Unbelievable! A lot of people (professionals included,of course) can't do that naturally and don't. I can't. My pinkie plants and my ring finger kind of flaps around in the breeze. I'm sure all things considered Earl is probably sorry he ever put that little innocent statement in his book, I'll bet he's been asked a hundred times at least by agonizing amateurs who have tried their darndest to plant both and just can't do it. I'm rambling. To each his own. Have fun

Retired

I'm a newbie and soon as the mando I have is repaired will begin learning. On this subject on this mando the fingerboard is inlaid and I note others want mylar adhered to the top. With some logic I agree that such may dampen the resonance of tone which suggests a raised fingerboard would be an improvement. Next, the "pinkie rest" seems to inhibit speed albeit I can see more accuracy. Next, I am to think that "pinkie rest: inhibits the area of pik strike which also would seemingly vary tone i.e richer closer to the bridge (but not too close) and shriller nearer the fret board in the same manner as a violin. Any feedback and advice?

Ed lee

On my mandolin, the "sweet spot" is near the end of the 20 fret fingerboard, so a pinkie plant would place it right smack in the middle of my pickguard, which is alternately know as a fingerrest, but I feel that it inhibits motion. Tone and volume are not really affected, but It may be on the mandolin top instead of a PG. My advice is don't start planting and you won't have to unlearn a possibly detrimental habit.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me