Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Outrageous Price of Picks

Default Re: Outrageous Price of Picks

"Perceived Value" - if you think it's worth it then buy it & enjoy it,if you don't - then DON'T,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

A couple days ago, a friend showed me a Blue Chip pick the he had just purchased. We compared it to a old T shell pick that came with a guitar that I bought a few years ago. They sounded identical in tone. Not similar, identical. I'm so impressed that I'm buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    To heck with picks, I want to know how Dan ate lunch at the golfcourse for only $6.50!!!
    Sounds to me like a $4 beer and $2.50 tip to the cute Beer-Cart girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    A thousand dollar pick won't make you sound like Bigmon or the Dawg, you cant buy talent.
    No, but for $35 you can improve the tone that you pull from your instrument.

I don't think Bill Monroe fussed too much over picks. I remember reading where someone asked him what type of pick he used and he pulled one out of his pocket and said "This kind". No particular brand, just one he had found under the car seat. No disrespect to the father of bluegrass and I revere his music, but I bet his tone would have improved using a BC pick.
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

A brave man to say Bill Monroe could have sounded better. I suggest he would sound like he did no matter what pick he used, as would David Grisman.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    "Perceived Value" - if you think it's worth it then buy it & enjoy it,if you don't - then DON'T,
    Ivan
    Well said! I like my Bluechip and consider it worth every penny!

Of course everybody LOVES their Blue Chip pick! Who's going to spend $30 on a pick and say they don't?!!

8. The following members say thank you to Charley wild for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

There's no way I could afford these boutique picks. When I finish a show, picks are scattered on the floor like autumn leaves. I'd be bound to loose $100 worth a week. If someone were to supply me with them for an endorsement, sure, but otherwise, I got a living to make. I buy picks by the gross. Seriously.
    Man, next time I'm up north, I've got to go to one of your shows. I'm not much on Irish music (but beer, yes), but I can dig the excitement, danger, and possible destruction. I'll just have to be careful not to get too close, so I don't get hit by flying debris! Mandolin Destroyer and Pick Thrasher. Are you sure you're not really Pete Townshend?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

There's no way I could afford these boutique picks. When I finish a show, picks are scattered on the floor like autumn leaves. I'd be bound to loose $100 worth a week. If someone were to supply me with them for an endorsement, sure, but otherwise, I got a living to make. I buy picks by the gross. Seriously.
    Well don't scatter them on the floor. My personal experience and the experience of many is that when you buy a high end pick you don't tend to scatter it.

Ease of scattering is a habit enabled by the low cost of replacement.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

A thousand dollar pick won't make you sound like Bigmon or the Dawg, you cant buy talent.

Dave H
    No, but a $30 dollar pick may improve your tone as much as a $120 dollar complete set up.

Seriously, if you are willing to spend a bit on a set up, to improve the sound, why wouldn't you spend about a quarter of that for a similar improvement in tone.

The entire staff
    funny....

Destroyer of Mandolins

Wear goggles JB.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charley wild View Post
    Of course everybody LOVES their Blue Chip pick! Who's going to spend $30 on a pick and say they don't?!!
    Have you tried 'em? The blue chip and the red bear picks do give a measurable change in tone over a gibson heavy or the like.

Objectively verifiable, measureable difference in tone.

Whether that change is in the direction you like, or whether it is worth the money is of course your call.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I heard that people spend more than $30 on a festival. What is up with that? I mean a pick will last a lot longer than a weekend.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Some folks remind me of a buddy of mine who complains about the cost of drinks at the bar. Hey, they don't serve alcohol at the bank, what made you think you can save money at a bar.

If you have tried the picks and they are not to your liking, I respect your decision.

If you haven't tried the pick because it costs $30 bucks I have to wonder. You could have saved ten or a hundred to a thousand times as much if you didn't buy the mandolin. Especially the second mandolin OMG.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Do these high-end picks come with a hole so you can attach them to a retractable belt-clip key chain?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

A brave man to say Bill Monroe could have sounded better. I suggest he would sound like he did no matter what pick he used, as would David Grisman.

Dave H
    Not to hijack the thread, but this is the kind of statement which drives me nuts on this forum. There are plenty of recordings in which Monroe's tone leaves me cold. Grisman's tone on that Eastman from Bernunzio's in that video is pretty bad, too. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that of all the "greats," Grisman's tone is consistently the worst, to my ears.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Destroyer of Mandolins

Personally, I haven't tried them because all the ones I've seen advertised are far too thick for me. I play 0.5mm Clayton acetal rounded triangles. I did the suggested route of trying cheaper thick picks to test the waters, but I've never liked the feel or the sound. Then again, I'm an Irish player and feel that the thick pick sound is more Bluegrassy. It's all personal choice, of course.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    In fact, I'd go as far as to say that of all the "greats," Grisman's tone is consistently the worst, to my ears.
    Save me a seat, journeybear.

I've been making my own lately, gives you a little more freedom to get them just right. I can't seem to reproduce the process at will, but I'm batting a little over 500 anyway
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Have you tried 'em? The blue chip and the red bear picks do give a measurable change in tone over a gibson heavy or the like.

Objectively verifiable, measureable difference in tone.

Whether that change is in the direction you like, or whether it is worth the money is of course your call.
    No, and I won't unless somebody lends me one. Seriously, Jeff, it's question of price versus value to me. For $30 I can buy 90 Fender heavy or extra heavys. I'm 68 years old. I ain't going to live long enough! I use all three sides. I'm using the same pick I have used on my Tele for at least five years. In fact the rounder it gets the better it becomes for the mandolin. So it boils down to: Fender=30 cents, Blue Chip= 30 dollars. Is the Chip going to make me sound that much better? I don't think so. ( I don't mean that in a wisea** way). THAT is the operative sentence. "I don't think so". To drone on here, Jeff, if I won the Powerball I wouldn't buy a Lloyd Loar. Seriously. Does a Loar, any Loar sound that much better than an Ellis, Nugget, etc.? I don't think so. In fact I'd buy that F4 with the long neck in the classifieds!! (I HAVE to quit looking at that thing!!)lol
    Having rambled on here I'll close by saying my posts are respectful to everyone's opinion. I'm just poking fun. You all spend your money just the way you want! I don't want anybody telling me how to spend mine!

These kinds of threads ("some type of mandolin or accessory is expensive...") usually divide into the following lists of folks:

a) There's no mandolin so bad or pick so lousy that it would make famous player XX sound bad, therefore by extension the mandolin/pick/strings/accessory is not worth it

b) Good equipment is worth it and helps any player sound better

I personally fall into camp "B", though find that the problem of "is thing XX any good" is a lifelong pursuit to determine. I don't have the cash for a Loar, but I know they make a good player sound better. Same is true of a lot of mandolins that are a heck of a lot cheaper too, good isn't tied to price but often good costs more than bad.

Anyway, picks are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to a material with the right type of slipperyness that can out-tortoise tortoiseshell too, and I'm constantly making small adjustments to the thickness/shape/type of pick I use if it seems to make a difference.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Give Golden Gate picks a try. They're about $2US apiece and they definitely bring out that woody tone in most mandos.

That said, I switched to Wegen picks about a year ago for more volume. Handmade from Kevlar. $2US doesn't seem unreasonable.
    Cheers, Ken
    To be less wrong than yesterday

The sound generated from a pick is pretty subjective. I have yet to hear someone say: "Wow he sounds fantastic he must be using a Blue Chip Pick." or a Wegan or a Red Bear. The fact of the matter is that no one but you can tell the difference. That being said I have a Blue Chip and a bunch of Wegan's and I like the way I sound when I use them.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

I have recently discovered picks made from horn ( water buffalo? ) cost $ 2.25 each, I like them alot. I also bought a couple of Golden Gate picks and those are good too. I reshape them and taper the thickness then polish them to suit my playing. Years ago I thought I had found the perfect pick so I ordered a gross of them. Lost every one!
    Last edited by Charles E.; Aug-01-2009 at 2:33pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings