Thread: New piece from Zwolle

Default New piece from Zwolle

This afternoon the Providence Mandolin Orchestra had the great pleasure of reading through, for the first time, a brand new piece written for us by Emiel Stopler of Zwolle, the Netherlands. "The City Awakens" is a lovely, semi-minimalist piece which describes in sound the feeling of a city at early dawn as things begin to start humming. It is a really fun piece to play and I think will be a huge audience-pleaser as well.
    (I just had a thought - this could be a GREAT piece to schedule on the same program as Victor K.'s "Hues of Dusk" which describes a city at the end of the day)
    Emiel is a fine guitarist and actually I believe he studied at one point with our friend Alex Timmermann. My wife Beverly and I had been playing his guitar duets when we found out that he was from Zwolle and last summer encountered him when the PMO was visiting there.
    Emiel is greatly to be congratulated on creating such a fine addition to the repertoire for plucked strings. And this only his first! We hope that there will be many more!

Default Re: New piece from Zwolle

Hello Mark,

This is wonderful news. Congrats to Emiel, you and the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. You are so enthousiastic about this new composition (nice title: "The City Awakens" by the way!) that I will most certainly contact Emiel and ask for the score and parts (and wait of course with performing it till after the PMO has premiered it). When is the 1st performance planned?

Cheers,

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Aug-04-2009 at 6:09pm.

Default Re: New piece from Zwolle

The PMO is planning to premiere Emiel's piece on December 5th for the Arts in the Village Series (Rehoboth, MA, 7:30 PM).
    Our program will be titled "A Day in the Life of the City" and will include another (possible) world premiere - "Ilawarra Dances" by the Australian composer John Peterson.
    Here is my first draft of the program for those who might be interested:

A Day in the Life of the City
    Dawn
    The City Awakens Emiel Stopler
    World premiere performance

Morning
    Grooves No. 1 Owen Hartford
    Ilawarra Dances John Peterson
    Premiere performance
    Lament for Kosovo Betty Beath
    Garoto A. C. Jobim, arr. R. Margo

………………………………..intermission…………………………………….

Afternoon
    Grooves No. 2 O. Hartford
    I Am the Walrus Lennon/McCartney, arr. R. Margo
    A Day in the Life Lennon/McCartney, arr. R. Margo

Evening
    Hues of Dusk Victor Kioulaphides
    Stone Flower A. C. Jobim
    Dreamtime Annette Kruisbrink