Thread: Strings on a Flatiron N1 - Thanks for the advice

Default Strings on a Flatiron N1 - Thanks for the advice

The Flatiron N1 I recently acquired came with J-74's on it...yes, I know those are too heavy. The owner had apparently been tuning it down a full step. I took the recommendation to put GHS A250 lights on. I finally got around to changing the strings and it is a new instrument. Thanks for the advice.

What other strings do people use on Flatiron and other pancakes?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Default Re: Strings on a Flatiron N1 - Thanks for the advice

Check this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3496 You will get all sorts of info there. Be sure to post pictures to the thread

Dunno about the Flatirons, but the RedLine Traveler mandolins we build are similar in size and structure. I string these flatties up with J-73's, which are the next size under J-74's. We have built and strung up close to 40 so far, and our mandolins seem to be holding up fine with these strings.

J-62s meet the string requirements listed on the label in my N-1...They pretty much sound like J74s but are just, well, lighter...So far I've been able to find a couple packs around, but no luck in the last month or 2...may need to go online...the label on mine is in the vicinity of the neck block (inside), I think...haven't actually looked lately, and thus can't remember the exact guages recommended. BUT, I know the 62's are the gauges recommended...haven't checked out 73s, but Steve certainly knows what he's talking about!!

Good luck...they're fun little instruments, eh? I'm still surprised by how loud mine is...
    Chuck

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    Dunno about the Flatirons, but the RedLine Traveler mandolins we build are similar in size and structure. I string these flatties up with J-73's, which are the next size under J-74's. We have built and strung up close to 40 so far, and our mandolins seem to be holding up fine with these strings.
    If you are not familiar with the Flatiron Army-Navy style mandolins, you may not realize that they actually have a label on the heel block that specifies the string gauges. The strings that you use on your mandolins are irrevalent unless the J-73s meet the criteria of Flatiron. GHS A-250s do. Not sure whether D'Adderios have an exact match.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, or send out false info. I do happen to be pretty familiar with the Flatiron mandolins, as I studied them very closely before building my own version of a flat mandolin. When I said "similar" above, you can take that as "very similar". Inside, outside, bracing size, location, and cross section, top, back, and side thickness and shape. I built my first ones as close to the proven design as I could, then I branched out from there.

All I meant to say was, if J-73's don't make my mandolins blow up, they probably won't harm a well built Flatiron either.

But, if one wants to live on the safe side, I think D'Addario's J-62's do match the specs on the older Flatiron flatties. These are fine strings too, but I think you get more power, punch, and fullness of tone from the J-73's. YMMV, and I am not suggesting you try these strings on your mandolin unless you are comfortable with the idea.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, or send out false info. .
    I certainly wasn't offended! I just note that the Flatiron pancakes are unique in that they originlly included a label that specified the string gauges. Sure, live it up if you want to. I just love that the specified string gauges seem to work and would hate for somebody to overlook the specified label gauges (as many have).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

My '82 Flatiron 1SH (SH stands for "shaded finish") heal block label calls for a .010/.014/.024/.034 string set.

Long ago, Steve Carlson told me he sent them out of the shop with D'Addario J62's (.010/.014/.024/.034), as they were the closest set available to him at the time.

I have stuck with D'Addario over the years and have been very satisfied with them.

Mandoblab