Thread: "A Place in the Heart"

Default "A Place in the Heart"

I am looking for the music of the lovely tune, A Place in the Heart, which is on the memorial cd for Butch Baldassari & a cd by Massimo Gatti. Anyone know where I can find it?
    Thanks,
    Nick Royal

Default Re: "A Place in the Heart"

Check the tab feature here on the Cafe...I think there are a couple of versions. There was also a thread a while back about the cd/tune, and a couple of folks posted variations as well...go to the message board page and try out the search feature...if you can't find it I'll try later, just don't have time to get the links done now...great tune, btw.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Here are a couple of versions in PDF format, standard and tab. I've played this piece for a long time and it continues to evolve in minor ways. The version on the CD is close but not exactly as shown in the attachments here.

One version is for guitar and mandolin--I hired John McGann to do it several years ago and it's note for note, including a mistake or two I made . The other is a simpler version I did at some point in Finale. You should be able to get a general idea between them I hope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeintheheart.pdf 
Views:	613 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	45356 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeintheheart2.pdf 
Views:	375 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	45357

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Just to add, Scott has his version also on this site's MP3 collection.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by pointing out the Table Edit files at Mandozine.com. You'll need to download the TefView program (free) if you don't already have it in order to play the files. There are 2 or 3 versions of this lovely song loaded there and you can print them out. BTW - Isn't this the last song on Butch's "New Classics for Bluegrass Mandolin"? I think that what I learned from.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    BTW - Isn't this the last song on Butch's "New Classics for Bluegrass Mandolin"? I think that what I learned from.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    That's correct. I introduced Butch to the tune when he was searching for material for the recording. It was written by Bill Crahan, a guitar and piano player I've been gigging with for 20+ years.

I saw the thread (started by Scott maybe?) a little while back, sought out the song here, downloaded the John McGann transcription, and got to work. I sent a copy to a good friend and terrific acoustic guitar player in Colorado, and he sent me a sound file with the guitar accompaniment. I'm working on the return gift. Our plan is to be able to play it as a duet next time we get a chance to play together, which is infrequent these days.
    The twelve or so pages of transcription are difficult to physically manage (you need a set of music stands "in the round", I'd imagine), but it's a good transcription and I'm enjoying both this transcription and Scott's mp3. I find that I sometimes start to whistle it, and my young son chimes in and starts whistling it, too! We've done it in a round that way as well.
    Think globally, bike locally.

I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

[QUOTE=woodwizard;707364]Check out mandozine ...

oops! someone already mentioned that ... I really like Scott's version. Beautiful ! Thanks for the music
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

There is also a tab in the Mel Bay book "New Classics for Bluegrass Mandolin" which are tabs from the Butch Baldassari's cd of the same name. Great tune and cd.

I found this tune, along with the tab and mp3, here on the Cafe about 4 years ago and spent about a week learning it on a mandolin I had hardly touched for 5 years (never having played mando just owned one). After learning this tune I fell in love with the mandolin. 4 years later I am on my 4th mandolin (still have the 1st) and I still play this tune from time to time. Lovely tune.
    Steve B.
    Gibson F-9
    Epiphone MM30 (the beater)
    Trinity College OM

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Here are a couple of versions in PDF format, standard and tab. I've played this piece for a long time and it continues to evolve in minor ways. The version on the CD is close but not exactly as shown in the attachments here.

One version is for guitar and mandolin--I hired John McGann to do it several years ago and it's note for note, including a mistake or two I made . The other is a simpler version I did at some point in Finale. You should be able to get a general idea between them I hope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeintheheart.pdf 
Views:	613 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	45356 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeintheheart2.pdf 
Views:	375 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	45357

Thanks Scott. It is a beautiful tune and you did a terrific job on it on the Tribute album. As a rank beginner I am sure I will find it a challenge.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......