Thread: Breedlove Rogue mandolin

Who owns a Breedlove Rogue and do you like it.

I almost started a thread on these the other day. I don't own one, but I played one this past Saturday. It was certainly a beautiful looking instrument - the woods were gorgeous as was the fretboard inlay.

I wasn't impressed with the sound - not sure if the strings were just old (didn't ask) but it just didn't do anything for me. For reference: I am currently playing a Collings MF

I didn't play it long so I can't say that I gave it a fair shake.

I also didn't plug it in...

I have one and I love it. They are beautifully made, and play so easy. I love the sound. Breedloves don't, in my limited experience, sound quite like Gibsons, so some criticize them. I find them to be a little clearer sounding than a Gibson, with more separation between the strings. I use Thomastik strings on mine, and like them much better than the "regular" strings on this mandolin.

I don't own a Rogue, but have played one, I like the Alpine better, so that's what I bought. Just the other day Fazio's got a #Breedlove Mackenzie in. I played it for about 10 minutes and it kicks butt in a big way. I have too many mandolins and am still scheming a way to get this one. I like Breedloves a lot and this is by far the best sounding one I've heard. It's the K shape the same as the Rogue, but it's "X" braced.

By The way, I have no understanding of what "too many mandolins" is, my wife seems to have an incredible grasp of this concept and tries her hardest to help me "get it." I just don't.

I'm another satisfied "Breedlover". I have had the Oregon model (O style, with f holes) for about 5 years and love it dearly.