Thread: alt mandolin

Default alt mandolin

I have an arrrangement for mandolin orchestra purchased from Trekel that includes: mandolin 1 & 2, mandola (octave mandolin), mandocello, and "alt mandolin". Can anyone help me, what is "alt mandolin"? The part is notated in treble clef.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

Blog Entries

Default Re: alt mandolin

Picollo mandolin, perhaps? 1 octave higher than a mandola. Just guessing...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

It's an alternative German word for the alto mandola, i.e. the CGDA instrument known in the US simply as "mandola". In Germany, that's a rather rare instrument in classical use, which is why the name is not very widely known. For a full definition (in German), see here. This definition gives quite an interesting perspective on cultural differences as they affect mandolin orchestras and ensembles. It translates as:

"The Alt-Mandoline corresponds to the viola in the violin family. Tuning: cc - gg - d'd' - a'a'. Normally notated as it sounds, but sometimes transposing (in which case it sounds a fifth lower than notated). Although it would in principle be the logical instrument for arrangements of string pieces for mandolin quartets or orchestras, it never managed to succeed against the (octave) mandola. Alt-Mandolinen are somewhat more commonly found in the anglo-saxon countries where they are - incorrectly - called "Tenor Mandola" oder even just "Mandola" (whereas the true mandola is called "Octave Mandola")

Martin

"Normally notated as it sounds, but sometimes transposing (in which case it sounds a fifth lower than notated)."

This raises the question whether Jaka's parts are written at pitch or as "transposing" parts. Jaka, your altmandolin parts are in treble clef, but do they have the same key signature as the other parts? If the AM part have an extra sharp (or one less flat), then it's probably to be read as if the player were playing on a normal mandolin. For example in the concert key of D major (2 sharps), the AM part would show 3 sharps and the note written as low A would sound as low D (etc.).

BC

All the parts (m1, m2, m'dola, alt m'dola and m'cello) are written in treble clef with the exception of contrabass which is in bass clef. The alt m'dola part is written in G, while all the other parts are written in C. So I understand now how the alt m'dola part is played, how about the m'cello?(which previously I have always seen written in bass clef).

Thanks for the help. I'm a newbie to the mandolin ensemble world.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

The alto mandola (in italy we name it mandola contralto or mandoliola) are normally written in treble clef with a sharp plus or a flat minus than other parts.

This is made so any mandolin player can play mandola contralto parts with no further reading effort.

Stefano

What is the tune you bought?
    thanks
    Alot of American Orchestra published music has the mandola and the mandocello written as transposed so anyone who reads mandolin music
    can trade spots to play 'dola/MC if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wundo View Post
    What is the tune you bought?
    thanks
    Alot of American Orchestra published music has the mandola and the mandocello written as transposed so anyone who reads mandolin music
    can trade spots to play 'dola/MC if needed.
    Third Man Theme. Parts for both mandola (octave mandola, treble clef, key of C) and alt mandola (CDGA, treble clef , key of G) are included.

So I guess this scheme is a way of getting around having to learn to read alto and bass clefs? Is this the same approach Gibson promoted in the teens and twenties as "Universal Notation"? Or is that something different?
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

Universal notation is different than transposed versions, although both use
    treble clefs.