Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fiddle players

Default Re: fiddle players

i've been given the use of - what i now know to be - a tenor, viola da gamba. it's a well-made replica instrument, tuned in 4ths - confusing and guitar like but made comprehensible by omitting the 1st and 6th strings and tuned like a viola (CGDA). it has gut strings and sounds ok-ish ...

i think catmandu2's fiddle group deserves some support - can we shift discussions there? ... especially as i have a particular lot of questions concerning strings and some observations concerning what's available on ebay here in europe (vis-à-vis fiddles) as opposed to what you'awl can expect to find in the states.

as it is ... old fiddle + new carbon-fiber/horse-hair bow + nylon core strings seems to be where i'm going. a lovely woman in our village demonstrated the suppleness required in the bowing hand and i've got this image of a pale, slim wrist wavering back and forth before me with mesmerizing fluidity.

great stuff ...

Bill, my reply is over on the group thread.

Hey Bill. I see you posted a home page on FiddleHangOut. It's a great resource for uploading tunes.

I've been fiddling about 15 or so years.
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

Blog Entries

Learning the fiddle has really improved my manolin playing!

But the fiddle is a very jealous instrument - it refuses to be anyone's second instrument. I find that playing/practicing it twice a week is just enough to keep it a painful experience, but not enough to improve.

I am making a major investment in a fiddle in a bit, so I need to get better. To deserve the violin I put a down payment on.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Jeff, the fiddle will let you be her second...(oh, if you join our group, that is.. )

apropos of nothing in particular - and in consideration of the vagaries (and vulgarities) available on the internet ... i just googled "mersenne's laws of physics" to find out what - in fact - they were and was subsequently treated to a series of algebraic equations on the left side of my computer screen alongside the photo of a provocatively-clad young lady, sticking her tongue out on the right.

i have to confess that music - and science - suffered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    i just googled "mersenne's laws of physics" to find out what - in fact - they were and was subsequently treated to a series of algebraic equations on the left side of my computer screen alongside the photo of a provocatively-clad young lady, sticking her tongue out on the right.
    I haven't seen the lady.

But for those interested, Mersenne's laws describe how the pitch of a plucked or bowed string changes in response to changes in length, tension, and string diameter.

There's fascinating physics in how a bowed string makes a sound, non-linear friction and all that.

But, alas, this isn't the fascinating physics cafe.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I am too going to start learning.

Check out the violins here: http://www.giannaviolins.com/

I just joined the fiddle players social group and could not post pictures of my fiddle built by my great grandfather in July 1949. I figured I would try posting pictures here to see if it will work. It appears that the attachment function is not working. Oh well, maybe later.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Sep-13-2009 at 11:10am.

Try again?? Ahhhh!! Much better!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeliveauFront.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	45864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeliveauBack.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	45865  

Mersennes' Law in action:

I got this somewhere, I don't believe it was here...

http://vimeo.com/4041788

You have to stay with this a bit...